Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donald Rumsfeld Has Died

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Donald Rumsfeld Has Died

From The Wall Street Journal:

Donald Rumsfeld, the architect of the U.S. invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq and an advocate of measures to streamline and modernize the American military, has died.

Mr. Rumsfeld, who was 88 years old, was the only person to serve two different times as defense secretary, becoming the country’s youngest leader of the Pentagon in 1975 and one of the oldest when he returned to the job in 2001.

His death in Taos, N.M., was announced Wednesday by his family. The cause of death was multiple myeloma, said Keith Urbahn, Mr. Rumsfeld’s spokesman.
    I was in high school during much of Rumsfeld's second tenure as SecDef and was never really sure what to make of the guy. I thought The Unknown Known was a very revealing look at the man behind all the press briefing sparring matches.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Duffelblog:

Donald Rumsfeld Refuses To Live In A World Without War In Afghanistan

“He couldn’t take it, not after what they did to the Iraq War, too,” said friend and former Vice President Dick Cheney. “No father wants to outlive his children.”
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It was always spooky how much he seemed like a twin of Robert McNamara. Slicked backed hair, glasses, attitude, not to the war.

Still worth reading/heeding: https://planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/rumsfeldsrules.pdf

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Name:  rummytohell.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  22.3 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I guess I can stop hoping to run into him in a dark alley some night.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Like RBG kicking the bucket, one of you guys will have to mourn him in my place. Of course I won't catch hell for saying that about Rummy like I did over her.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Another one a friend sent me. We disagree on almost everything, except this.

Name:  0F193533-BDE3-485B-9D7A-057255EB0686.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  42.1 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I never understood the hilarity that ensued after Secretary Rumsfeld made these remarks.

Most of it came from the media, who think they know about information, secrets, and lies. Compared to intelligence agencies in war time—which is what he was talking about—they’re barely single-cell organisms.

Intelligence agencies aren't looking at whether Britney Spears should be able to spend her own money. They deal with information about extremely smart, creative, vicious people who will die if their activities are discovered or even suspected. Those people are well trained at deceiving anyone looking into those activities and will kill anyone who gets too close to the truth. Intel agencies have oceans of this information coming at them every second. They have to decide what’s true, what’s deception, and what’s so freaking bizarre that it can barely be understood on its face—then prove or disprove it, then figure out what to do with it. And the fate of millions could depend on whether they get it right.

Known knowns and known unknowns are a straightforward inventory of the situation. Unknown knowns and unknown unknowns are the things that matter. Who ever would have thought that Osama bin Laden had been living in the Pakistani equivalent of West Point for several years while every intelligence operative in the world was looking for him? Clearly someone had a first-rate deception plan in place and their execution was superb--but who?

That’s a couple of unknown unknowns for you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List