Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Max

So what's the bet on when there will be a recall on these? My father just purchased one, so I guess we are in the beta test group. Just have to locate ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    So what's the bet on when there will be a recall on these? My father just purchased one, so I guess we are in the beta test group. Just have to locate ammo.
    I've fired 250 rds through mine. 200 fiocchi fmj and 50 Hornady critical defense. 1 10rd mag 2 12rd mags. No issues so far, soft shooting gun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input fellows. I started my search today for one of these locally.

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Skp, this is a serious question. If the system has the springs compressed, a mechanical failure can cause a discharge.

The safety of handling is well addressed by the record of striker-fired guns such as Glocks. We all know the risks and the precautions that are prudent. I'm not going to touch upon that.

As far as mechanical safety goes, Ruger found it necessary to make an edutainment video about it. It's on Ruger 57 page, scroll a little down. It demonstrates what the hammer catch looks like.
    https://www.ruger.com/products/ruger57/models.html

The LCP II and LCP MAX use the same firing mechanism and the 57, except with no manual safety lever.

Attachment 74429
    Thanks for sharing. That is a really well done video by Ruger, would be good to send to anyone curious about how semi auto pistols in general work.

From what I can tell their "secure action" system is basically like any SAO hammer fired trigger except there is extra sear engagement of the hammer, such that the trigger pull pulls the last bit of the sear out of its engagement with the hammer, cocking the hammer the last little bit as it is doing so.
    This action also lacks what I would consider a working firing pin safety, although as the video states that is only a concern in a muzzle-down dropping of the weapon, and even then the firing pin spring should have enough force to stop the firing pin from touching off a primer. This is a "safety feature" shared by almost every other hammer fired pistol, whether SAO, DAO, or SA/DA.

So, unless I am missing something, it is a SAO pistol without a safety, but with a "spongier/heavier" trigger. With that in mind I would think of the LCPII and related pistols as I would any SAO striker fired gun like the HK VP9, Sig P320/365, or Walther PPQ/PDP: extra easy to shoot well, highly mechanically/drop safe, but with minimal margin for human error when it comes to Negligent Discharges.

I think my conclusion with the LCPII is the same one I reach every time I consider buying a P365: looks great on paper, but the extra 3-4 rounds are much less likely to matter than the potentially increased risk of an ND.

Late to the party but I now own a Max. I haven't shot it yet. Who stocks 380 ammo? Not me, apparently.

Anyway, some comparison photos of the new 380 vs the P365. The SIG is probably only anecdotally larger. Most notably in slide length.

Makes one wonder why to bother with the Ruger. May or may not be an overall better and more reliable design. I guess time will tell in that regard. For the slight increase in size a 9mm would seem to be the logical choice. With that said the 380 should be a little easier to shoot and control for a novice, etc. But again the difference is probably mostly an academic discussion as neither pistol will be "enjoyable" to the new or inexperienced.

Final thought is if you need tiny stick with the LCP or LCP II. If you need small get a P365.

No provision to attach a light to the Ruger. Most users probably won't care.

Overall I like the way the new handgun feels. Sights are surprisingly good. Trigger is weird but should prove quite usable. Ruger will sell a bunch of these.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Anyway, some comparison photos of the new 380 vs the P365. The SIG is probably only anecdotally larger. Most notably in slide length.

Makes one wonder why to bother with the Ruger. May or may not be an overall better and more reliable design. I guess time will tell in that regard. For the slight increase in size a 9mm would seem to be the logical choice.
    For belt carry I would agree with you, however pocket carry is a very different story.

The shorter slide, and equally important, the narrower width, plus the lighter weight, make all the difference between a pocket pistol and a pocket brick. And the angled rear of the slide is another big plus.
    I can put a 365 in my pocket but living with it there is not much fun, and reliably drawing it quickly and smoothly is questionable at best.

Additional photos. This of the Max vs an LCP II.

Overall thickness is the same. The only real size difference is the length of the frame. As can be seen, the max is longer.

It would have been interesting to keep dimensions the same but decrease magazine capacity to 8 or 9 and then offer a +1 or +2 base pad.

Note that the barrels are different. The Max feed ramp has a semicircular cut. Also the cam surface is radiused. The original is flat.

Slides are also different. Note the notch in the Max's recoil spring tunnel.

Not sure yet but preliminary inspection indicates that top end parts are not interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Slides are also different. Note the notch in the Max's recoil spring tunnel.
    Thanks for the detailed comparison. Reviewers on Youtube only ever noticed the obviously longer extractor and the mysterious hole going across the slide horizontally. I wonder what that notch is for. Does it even do anything, or does it just make it easier to machine.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Thanks for the detailed comparison. Reviewers on Youtube only ever noticed the obviously longer extractor and the mysterious hole going across the slide horizontally. I wonder what that notch is for. Does it even do anything, or does it just make it easier to machine.
    And are these changes exclusive to the Max or are they rolling changes that we'll see across the LCP variants?

@Tokarev

Thanks for the comparison, you saved me the cost of an LCP Max. Can't easily swap in my existing .32NAA barrels makes it a non-starter for me.

Cool gun, I get they had to change the design to accommodate the increased capacity, shame though.

User Tag List