Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Ruger LCP Max

Got out to the range today… put 200 rounds thru the LCP Max.

I shot my carry load; Hornady CD. It shot POA, and functioned 100%. Put some Remington FMJ that my buddy gave me… 100%. Perfecta… 100%. And I finished up with some of the biggest trash I could source… Tula steel case… again, 100%.

My buddy was shooting his .22 Magnum and the new Echelon. Had a 16” by 16” box target up at 50 yards… I put 3 out of 5 shots into it (a fourth did skim the edge). 25 yards is easy to keep it in the profile of a body… but fist groups within 10 yards. It’s nice to have sights, as well as more grip to hold on. He shot my original LCP prior, and used to have a few of the .380 Berettas. Said he liked the way it shot.

Cleaned it up a little bit ago and put some grease on it. Loaded up two 10 rounders and two 12 rounders. Want to get a few more boxes of Hornady CD for supply and another magazine for the truck. Very happy with how it came out.

I didn't go with another Ruger, as I already have the EC9s, but a friend offered a great deal on a G42 with night sights
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I’ve got a little over 500 through mine using the 10 and 12 round mags, my carry rounds and mostly my 380 reloads. Yet to have a stoppage or malfunction with it. Solid little gun, I’ve had the regular LCP II for many years well over a 1000 through it. Again can’t remember any stoppages with it either, the MAX is much easier to shoot well, great sights.

I just got rid of my MAX and kept the LCP 2.

No matter how much I cleaned and tinkered with the gun, it simply would not reliably feed ANY ammo that I tried. While I could have sent it back to Ruger I decided I didn’t want to deal with it as I only used it as a “around my yard/porch sitting” gun anyways. I’m back to using my reliable LCP 2 for that task.

I wish I had a successful first trip to the range with my Davidson's Exclusive Ruger LCP Max Elite back in March, but it wasn't meant to be. It was pretty greasy in the bag when I picked it up at my LGS so I cleaned it up when I got home. A few days later at the range, I took a few pistols but started out with the Max yet was only able to try six shots with it as I had multiple FTF's and fortunately noticed that the takedown pin was working its way loose. I pulled the pin out, inspected everything, and then had a lot of difficulty trying to get the takedown pin to go back in. As I kept trying, the pin popped out and landed in front of the railing where all of the spent casings are swept, so I figured it was a lost cause. I snapped a quick photo with my cell phone and thought there might be a chance and as I zoomed in, there it was propped up against the front of the concrete and a spent casings.

Name:  LCP Max takedown pin 01.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  LCP Max takedown pin 02.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  91.4 KB

So after not doing anything with my LCP Max for awhile since I had some other pistols to break in, I decided to try it again but I was still having issues getting the stock takedown pin to go in. Before sending it back to Ruger, I ordered the MCARBO Heavy Duty STRESS-PROOF Takedown Pin and the Galloway Precision 13 lb Outer Recoil Spring and Stainless Steel Guide Rod and installed them a little over a week ago and went to the range a few days later. Well wouldn't you know it but I had no issues what so ever. So while I am not sure which one did the trick or if it was the combo off all three, I ran over 100 rounds of different ammo and grains without a hitch.

I even tried putting the stock takedown pin back in and it just would not back in like the MCARBO pin does. I'll probably put the stock guide rod and spring back in just to see what happens but since mine was a Davidsons Exclusive, it was supposed to have a stainless steel guide rod in it already but the stock one already looks a bit chewed up like some that I have seen pictures of and it does not look like it was stainless steel. Not sure what I will do but I am happy that it is running well now and I plan on taking it to the range anytime I go now so I can keep putting rounds through it to see how it holds up.

I really wanted to be already using it as my small and light summer EDC but I have not put enough rounds through it to feel confident in it yet. Fortunately my new Sig P365-380 is running great and my trusty Glock 42 is still serving me well. I'll update again once I take it to the range and may also end up putting all of the stock parts back in, if I can get the takedown pin back in of course, and then send it to Ruger to see what they can find.

Has anybody found some new AIWB options? Just ordered a Max and was a little dismayed when I didn't see anything on JMCK or DSG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I wish I had a successful first trip to the range with my Davidson's Exclusive Ruger LCP Max Elite back in March, but it wasn't meant to be. It was pretty greasy in the bag when I picked it up at my LGS so I cleaned it up when I got home. A few days later at the range, I took a few pistols but started out with the Max yet was only able to try six shots with it as I had multiple FTF's and fortunately noticed that the takedown pin was working its way loose. I pulled the pin out, inspected everything, and then had a lot of difficulty trying to get the takedown pin to go back in. As I kept trying, the pin popped out and landed in front of the railing where all of the spent casings are swept, so I figured it was a lost cause. I snapped a quick photo with my cell phone and thought there might be a chance and as I zoomed in, there it was propped up against the front of the concrete and a spent casings.

Name:  LCP Max takedown pin 01.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  LCP Max takedown pin 02.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  91.4 KB

So after not doing anything with my LCP Max for awhile since I had some other pistols to break in, I decided to try it again but I was still having issues getting the stock takedown pin to go in. Before sending it back to Ruger, I ordered the MCARBO Heavy Duty STRESS-PROOF Takedown Pin and the Galloway Precision 13 lb Outer Recoil Spring and Stainless Steel Guide Rod and installed them a little over a week ago and went to the range a few days later. Well wouldn't you know it but I had no issues what so ever. So while I am not sure which one did the trick or if it was the combo off all three, I ran over 100 rounds of different ammo and grains without a hitch.

I even tried putting the stock takedown pin back in and it just would not back in like the MCARBO pin does. I'll probably put the stock guide rod and spring back in just to see what happens but since mine was a Davidsons Exclusive, it was supposed to have a stainless steel guide rod in it already but the stock one already looks a bit chewed up like some that I have seen pictures of and it does not look like it was stainless steel. Not sure what I will do but I am happy that it is running well now and I plan on taking it to the range anytime I go now so I can keep putting rounds through it to see how it holds up.

I really wanted to be already using it as my small and light summer EDC but I have not put enough rounds through it to feel confident in it yet. Fortunately my new Sig P365-380 is running great and my trusty Glock 42 is still serving me well. I'll update again once I take it to the range and may also end up putting all of the stock parts back in, if I can get the takedown pin back in of course, and then send it to Ruger to see what they can find.
    It is disappointing that you had those issues, and I am glad you got them fixed. As interesting as it would be to know which part made the biggest difference, if it works now, I suggest leaving it as is.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by James_f View Post
    Has anybody found some new AIWB options? Just ordered a Max and was a little dismayed when I didn't see anything on JMCK or DSG
    I used a Vedder for mine and I've been happy with it.

Anyone get the (I think) new stainless version? I think Screwball said his is coated not stainless. Stainless seems like a no brainer if buying new now, unless other stainless Ruger autos have had problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Screwball said his is coated not stainless.
    Ruger shows a silver and a tungsten Cerakote option in addition to the matte stainless.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List