Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Max

I might have missed this somewhere in the thread - does the Max slide lock back on empty, or is it like the LCP?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I might have missed this somewhere in the thread - does the Max slide lock back on empty, or is it like the LCP?
    It locks back on empty.

Site Supporter

Ruger LCP Max

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    I picked one up this morning at Cabelas. Took it to the indoor range this afternoon and put 92 rounds through it with no issues at all. 6 magazines were fully loaded with ten rounds. Ammunition fired was 40 rounds of Fiocchi 95gr Fuji, 42 rounds of Winchester 95gr fmj and 10 rounds of HPR 100gr fmj.

The size of the pistol is not significant over the LCP II and the triggers didn’t feel different at all to me. I did shoot 6 rounds out of my LCP II at the end of the session just to see if I noticed. The sights are the game changer. All black grooved rear with a tritium front. The gun comes with a pinky base plate and a flat one installed on the magazine. I prefer a flat baseplate on the LCP so left it that way. Grip was fine, my LCP II has a Hogue rubber slip on and the diameters felt similar enough to me. Shooting was great, easy to control and those sights were awesome. I only shot at 7 yards and if I didn’t shank them low left the gun was in the bull.

I think this gun may replace a bunch of LCP IIs simply for the addition of the sights alone. While I can pocket carry a G42, LCR, 642 and probably a P365, I don’t. The LCP Max I would.

As an aside, when I had both the LCP II and the LCP Max broken down, the upper for the LCP II would fit on the Max lower and the LCP II retaining pin would secure the upper to the pistol. Slide would cycle and trigger would work. This is for information only. The reverse was not true, the LCP II frame would not allow the assembled LCP Max slide onto the pistol.

LCP II LCP Max sights
    Attachment 74121

LCP Max and LCP II Frames
    Attachment 74118

LCP Max and LCP II uppers
    Attachment 74119

LCP Max and LCP II Barrels
    Attachment 74120

LCP Max 10 round and LCP II 6 round magazines
    Attachment 74125

Outside P365 10 and 12 round, inside LCP Max 10 and 12 round magazines
    Attachment 74122

LCP Max and LCP II
    Attachment 74124

SIg P365, LCP Max, G42
    Attachment 74123
    This is really useful information. Thank you for posting!

How would you compare the felt recoil of the Ruger LCP II Max with the Glock 42?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I did not bring the G42 with me to the range so couldn’t comment. I haven’t shot my G42 in a couple or more years.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Ruger introduced the last round hold in LCP II, which came with modified magazines. The II was compatible with LCP magazines, and fed fine from them, but the slide only locked back when using its own magazines. The LCP MAX came with this feature out of the gate, although I am not sure it inherited the follower geometry from LCP II.

Ran another box ox of 50 through my LCP MAX … still only have the one 10 rd mag .. I two 12 rd mags ordered…
    Ran great .. magazine seems easier to load … I really like the sights .

I have been waiting a long time for something similar in size to my P3AT that added enough additional features for me to consider replacing it. The LCP-MAX just might be it. Thanks to all the purchasers for taking the time to share their experiences so far. I haven't really heard anything bad so far as these are getting into people's hands, has anyone?

Mine came in Saturday.
    While I see it for as high as $449, I paid only $336 shipped (+ $15 FFL).
    Since then, I've seen it for $327 shipped on one occasion...but normal price seems to be from $349 to $389.

Due to the ammo shortage, I only put 137rds through it. It shoots softer than most 380s...on par with a G42. Too bad good 380acp is so hard to find right now and the cheaper stuff is pricey. I don't think it'll get better soon.

I know a lot of people aren't comfortable with 380acp. I like 9mm more, so I have a 365 (with an XL frame) and a G43X (with like 6 shield mags, all with +10% springs). HOWEVER, I'm fine with 380 if it's accurate, reliable, and shootable. The Glock 42 has all of this, but I need more capacity. The Beretta 84 has the capacity, but it's too big and snappy for its size. I'm to a point where I'm find carrying FMJs, though I'd love for it to feed Lehighs and I'd like to see some gel tests of the Fort Scott stuff. The barrel is so short that I'm not sure if HPs would open--so they MIGHT penetrate to my liking, which is further than the 12" minimum--I prefer 15-16" minimum.

The LCP MAX is the Goldilocks "pocket" 380--small but with capacity. If it proves reliable, I'll definitely start to carry it when I'm not wearing a belt or just want something so small I forget it's there. It is shockingly small. It fits in both the BORAII pocket holster as well as a kydex IWB (both were made for the LCP II). It's REALLY tight in the BORAII pocket holster and a bit loose in the Kydex IWB (from ebay)--though it snaps in now that I tightened the retention screw.

The sights are almost perfect, though I would have gone a tiny bit thinner on the front sight for a bit more space on both sides for fast and up close shooting--like from .150" (I'm guessing) to .125".

My trigger has several creeps and stages, but breaks at 6.25-6.5 lbs. I'd prefer a nicer 5lb trigger, but for what it is, I'm happy. I'll likely be checking out Galloway's trigger.

I see a lot of complaints about it only coming with one mag, but a lot of shooters live in states where 10rds is the max, and many of those who don't would rather get a second mag that holds 12 rounds. So it makes sense to sell it for less and let us buy what other mags we want. It does come with a loader, a pocket holster, and a pinky-extension.

The only issue I've noticed is that the slide-lock spring is REALLY weak. It wasn't locking the slide back on an empty mag all the time, so I removed the slide and checked the tension--it is VERY weak. I wiggled it, and after that it started locking every time last night. Since then, it's only not locked a few times. One youtuber said they can't use it to close the slide, but IF they tried with a mag in it (especially a loaded mag), it would be much easier for them.

----
    NOTE:
    One youtuber had two failure-to-feed issues, but in his written review, he said it was 100% reliable. So either he forgot what was on his video OR he decided to ignore those two failures. He did mention it didn't like his reloads, but seemed to be implying it wasn't accurate with them--not that they jammed the gun.

Another youtuber was shooting 6" low. I was shooting with the dot covering the target and was like 1" low at 5Y. I prefer to cut the bullseye in half with the top of the front sight blade, but at 15Y my 10 shot group was about 4" (about half low and half dead center). This was with a fairly steady cadence and arms resting on my range bag. My iphone was over-heated (had the little thermometer pic on it) so I couldn't take any pics (it stayed over-heated even in the shade of the covered picnic tables). Below is the gun in comparison to the "new" Ruger micro-wonder MAX 9.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I have been waiting a long time for something similar in size to my P3AT that added enough additional features for me to consider replacing it. The LCP-MAX just might be it. Thanks to all the purchasers for taking the time to share their experiences so far. I haven't really heard anything bad so far as these are getting into people's hands, has anyone?
    I have just just over 100rds through mine tough with one 10rd mag , my 2 12 round mags came in today .. so hopefully I can get a bit of range time this weekend… but so far mine has been great ..

I’ll pick up the first one of these I see, more than likely.
    Some background BEFORE my question. I’ve been shooting autoloaders for 50 years, the first 20 of which almost always saw a 1911 of some sort with me.
    I’ve got the original LCP, the LCP CUSTOM, and the LCP II. I love them for their intended use, and couldn’t imagine being w/o them.
    Question: Am I displaying too much of my OCD side when I say I’m a little squeamish carrying a cocked and unlocked hammer gun? If you can tell me how irrational that is, I’d sure listen, because I AM going to buy the MAX.

Skip

User Tag List