Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 Shooting Right

Glock 23 Shooting Right

I Have a Glock 23 Gen 5 and Have Had to Move the Rear Site Far Right to Be Dead Center on Target with Live Ammo. When Using a Dry Fire Laser Cartridge the Hits are Too the Right.
    If I Adjust the Rear Site to Align the Laser Onto Dead Center then the Live Rounds are Off Center.
    Very Confusing, Appreciate Any Advice.
    Thank You

Are you right, or left handed?

What is your experience with shooting, specifically with Glocks?

At what distance are you shooting, and how far off are the shots?

Site Supporter
    In addition to the above questions, it appears from the original post that the gun shoots left when you shoot it, resulting in a need to move the rear sight to the right. The subject line, however, makes me question whether I understand correctly.

Is there any chance the front sight is angled when viewed from the top of the slide?

If the front sight is parallel to the slide, I suspect that something in the way you grip the gun is causing the gun to be pulled to the right when you pull the trigger.

For me (medium size hands), gripping the gun so that when viewed from the top, the central axis of the gun is aligned with the central axis of my forearm, and contacting the trigger halfway between the tip of the finger and the joint closest to the tip results in the most straight back press. You may need to adjust from there depending on your hand size.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Welcome to pistol-forum.

In addition to the above great questions: has anyone else shot the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    In addition to the above questions, it appears from the original post that the gun shoots left when you shoot it, resulting in a need to move the rear sight to the right. The subject line, however, makes me question whether I understand correctly.
    Great pick up!

I missed that on first read through.

Glock shoots left in live fire but in dry fire shoots basically on sights with laser.

Most likely right handed shooter pulling trigger with whole hand.

I made this video previously, hope it helps.

Welcome to the forum - I think the title of the thread is that your Glock shoots left. Moving the rear sight to the right means that your gun (or you) are shooting left. There are a number of threads on here you can check out by googling "glock shoots left" as it can be a common occurrence. Obviously, this could be shooter situation with the way you interact with the gun. However, the main mechanical reason why your Glock shoots left is a slightly twisted front sight. Glock front sights are not dovetail, and when the the assembler tightens the screw on the sight post, it can sometimes twist the sight post so that when you are aligning your sights it can cause deviation to the left that causes many people to move the rear sight. I would first check if that is perfectly square. Almost all my front sights have some "slop" that causes movement in them when tightening them down and need to be carefully aligned when tightened (even from the factory).

Here is a thread on the topic. However, the poster believes it had to do with mechanical lockup of the barrel. I think this is very rare. I would read the other posters in how they ensure straight front sight.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....LY-shoots-left

Having the front sight parallel with the slide is critical.

I have owned and shot many Glocks in several models and calibers and have never seen one shoot left or right if the front sight is parallel and the rear is centered.

@Cool Breeze @Leroy Suggs I’m guessing that the amount the gun is off far exceeds the contribution of the front sight twist if he has to move the rear “far” to one side.

I’m guessing he’s talking about 3+ inches at 7 yards which is more likely hand induced.

While front sight rotation is absolutely a thing with Glocks, I’m thinking this is not that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Cool Breeze @Leroy Suggs I’m guessing that the amount the gun is off far exceeds the contribution of the front sight twist if he has to move the rear “far” to one side.

I’m guessing he’s talking about 3+ inches at 7 yards which is more likely hand induced.

While front sight rotation is absolutely a thing with Glocks, I’m thinking this is not that situation.
    I agree. I was saying if the sights are right and you shoot left or right it's the shooter.

Site Supporter
    i used to have to move my Glock rear sights to the right until I learned how to fine tune my trigger squeeze. I have also found that a fine tuned trigger squeeze and centered sight produces a more consistent result than trying to move the sight to the right to compensate for a trigger squeeze that pushes the gun to the left.

I agree completely on the importance of backstrap pressure., along with frontstrap pressure and avoiding all side to side pressure with the shooting hand.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List