Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Max

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
    I’ll pick up the first one of these I see, more than likely.
    Some background BEFORE my question. I’ve been shooting autoloaders for 50 years, the first 20 of which almost always saw a 1911 of some sort with me.
    I’ve got the original LCP, the LCP CUSTOM, and the LCP II. I love them for their intended use, and couldn’t imagine being w/o them.
    Question: Am I displaying too much of my OCD side when I say I’m a little squeamish carrying a cocked and unlocked hammer gun? If you can tell me how irrational that is, I’d sure listen, because I AM going to buy the MAX.

Skip
    Recognizing your background and also realizing you are not the only one reading the answer:

Any well-designed modern handgun will be drop-safe (not any modern handgun, but any well-designed one). As long as it is carried in a holster that eliminates any likelihood of anything entering the trigger area, I would be comfortable.

If pocket carried, use a well-designed pocket holster, and be very careful about what else goes in that pocket - preferably nothing else. The only exception might be about 4 sheets of copy paper folded into a rectangle to serve as an anti-print panel.

Your concern is completely reasonable, and emphasizes the importance of not getting casual with these pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Not sure if others had this experience, but finding good .380 carry ammo is very challenging right now. I basically looked at the Lucky Gunner testing data and tried to find the loads which both expanded and met the 12" minimum penetration which is a surprisingly short list. Of those, I found maybe 2 places with one of those loads in stock... Ended up going with Hornady critical defense.

This might be strongly disagreed with but I am planning to use the LCP Max for either AIWB carry with a round chambered, or pocket carry with an empty chamber. I have yet to see a pocket carry holster I really trust other than trying to jury rig a RCS Vanguard style holster with the lanyard attached somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I basically looked at the Lucky Gunner testing data and tried to find the loads which both expanded and met the 12" minimum penetration which is a surprisingly short list.
    It's a shorter list than you might think. Lucky Gunner used clear gel for everything which makes the '12" minimum penetration' threshold meaningless.

AFAIK right now the only .380 load that will make 12" in organic gel (bare gel and heavy clothing) is the new hydra shok deep. From the shorter LCP barrel is struggles with 4LD, and I think the answer to auto glass or sheet metal is "don't bother".

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Shok-Deep-380

I have yet to see a pocket carry holster I really trust other than trying to jury rig a RCS Vanguard style holster with the lanyard attached somewhere.
    Are you concerned about too much retention(holster comes out of pocket) or not enough(gun comes loose in pocket)?

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Are you concerned about too much retention(holster comes out of pocket) or not enough(gun comes loose in pocket)?
    Both

Site Supporter
    Not sure if others had this experience, but finding good .380 carry ammo is very challenging right now. I basically looked at the Lucky Gunner testing data and tried to find the loads which both expanded and met the 12" minimum penetration which is a surprisingly short list. Of those, I found maybe 2 places with one of those loads in stock... Ended up going with Hornady critical defense.

This might be strongly disagreed with but I am planning to use the LCP Max for either AIWB carry with a round chambered, or pocket carry with an empty chamber. I have yet to see a pocket carry holster I really trust other than trying to jury rig a RCS Vanguard style holster with the lanyard attached somewhere.
    Have you looked at the Aholster pocket holster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I’m happy with my Aholster for j-frame. Good retention, stays in pocket. I have no experience with semiauto pocket holsters.
    https://aholster.com/pocket-aholster/

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I’m happy with my Aholster for j-frame. Good retention, stays in pocket. I have no experience with semiauto pocket holsters.
    https://aholster.com/pocket-aholster/

Wow semi local company!!! Bout 25 minutes away

Quote Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
    Question: Am I displaying too much of my OCD side when I say I’m a little squeamish carrying a cocked and unlocked hammer gun?
    Skp, this is a serious question. If the system has the springs compressed, a mechanical failure can cause a discharge.

The safety of handling is well addressed by the record of striker-fired guns such as Glocks. We all know the risks and the precautions that are prudent. I'm not going to touch upon that.

As far as mechanical safety goes, Ruger found it necessary to make an edutainment video about it. It's on Ruger 57 page, scroll a little down. It demonstrates what the hammer catch looks like.
    https://www.ruger.com/products/ruger57/models.html

The LCP II and LCP MAX use the same firing mechanism ans the 57, except with no manual safety lever.

Name:  x18_ruger.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  30.7 KB

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Skp, this is a serious question. If the system has the springs compressed, a mechanical failure can cause a discharge.

The safety of handling is well addressed by the record of striker-fired guns such as Glocks. We all know the risks and the precautions that are prudent. I'm not going to touch upon that.

As far as mechanical safety goes, Ruger found it necessary to make an edutainment video about it. It's on Ruger 57 page, scroll a little down. It demonstrates what the hammer catch looks like.
    https://www.ruger.com/products/ruger57/models.html

The LCP II and LCP MAX use the same firing mechanism ans the 57, except with no manual safety lever.

Name:  x18_ruger.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  30.7 KB

Thanks for that link. I have disassembled an LCP2 (.22) and while it is fully cocked, the sear drop protection is substantial. I think they are safe and will not fire without a trigger pull.

User Tag List