Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Max

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My two original issue LCP's did that. I replaced the recoil spring with a heavier one as I shoot Buffalo Bore so called +p ammo in them. Heavier springs resolved the issue and made the little pistols more pleasant to shoot. I think Ruger uses a lighter spring for ease of retracting the slide.
    Thanks for the tip. I found a 13lbs one I’m going to order.

I received mine from GT Distributors last week. To say it's a disappointment is an understatement. Rattles like a maraca, trigger is about 11 pounds, shoots patterns (6-8" - not even minute of pie plate) and driving the dot sight shoots 5-6" low at 10 yards.

Not sure if these are problems with the pistol, or it's just a cheap ass Ruger. I'll probably jump through the hoops to have it sent back to Ruger after I get back from my next trip.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I received mine from GT Distributors last week. To say it's a disappointment is an understatement. Rattles like a maraca, trigger is about 11 pounds, shoots patterns (6-8" - not even minute of pie plate) and driving the dot sight shoots 5-6" low at 10 yards.

Not sure if these are problems with the pistol, or it's just a cheap ass Ruger. I'll probably jump through the hoops to have it sent back to Ruger after I get back from my next trip.
    I think you may have a lemon, psalms, hate to say. Mine has minimal rattle and the trigger is in the 5-6 range. Accuracy isn't target pistol but it shouldn't be that rough. Might be worth a call to Ruger.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Hammertime

Sorry to hear that. I like mine enough to use for pocket/ankle carry at this point.

Back from Ruger....

My MAX is back from Ruger with a new frame. Magazines now stay in the gun w/out a hitch. The trigger is dramatically better. Not to be fired at 25 yards as those groups, more like patterns, are rather large. For a special treat, shoot a Glock 42 right after shooting the Max. I like the capacity of the Max but prefer the accuracy and control of the Glock.

Vending Machine Operator
    When the fiancee and I went out last week, just for kicks, I shot my 2010-vintage first-gen LCP that I carried for 12 years next to my new Max. The improvement is genuinely dramatic. Setting aside improved capacity, I'd have accepted the same capacity even, the improvement is the SIGHT. I knew it would be an improvement, but the Max is actually decently aimable at self-defense distances.

It's still a micro .380, I won't allow myself delusions about it, but I feel that I have a much higher chance of actually using the Max in a way other than point blank spray and pray.

Both the 10 and 12 round magazines ran well with 90-grain Hornady Critical Defense, as well as with 90-grain Speer Gold Dot, 95-grain American Eagle, and even about a dozen 10+ year old 102-grain Remington Golden Sabers.

My sample of one is, so far, a winner.

I’m working a deal that will see my 442 going to a family member and I’ve been considering a .38 LCR as it’s replacement for the rare times I pocket carry. After skimming through this thread, I’m wondering if the LCP Max might be a better option.

If I’m already needing to buy support gear and quality defensive ammunition, does either one make more sense?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’m working a deal that will see my 442 going to a family member and I’ve been considering a .38 LCR as it’s replacement for the rare times I pocket carry. After skimming through this thread, I’m wondering if the LCP Max might be a better option.

If I’m already needing to buy support gear and quality defensive ammunition, does either one make more sense?
    I think that just brings you around to the thousands of pages of .38 vs. .380 for pocket carry. A heady debate.

I land on .380 because 5 rounds just isn't enough for me to feel comfortable and I'm not an experienced enough revolver shooter to use speedloaders or speed strips well under pressure. I fully acknowledge .38 is a load that can achieve the FBI protocol quite well with the Speer and Winchester loads, and shot-for-shot is more much desirable. However, my LCP max gives me 23 rounds (10+1 in gun, 12 in reload) and for me it's the choice. That's more than quadruple the ammo in a package that carries smaller, and while it's .380 Auto, it's not exactly .22LR, .380 might not be duty-spec but it's nothing to sneeze at.

That said, the .38 LCR is a gun I have always found underrated. Great trigger, very point shootable. I briefly owned both the 642 and the LCR and the LCR was my clear preference.

I think until they manufacture, market, and widely distribute a middle-ground caliber that gives .380 size but FBI-protocol performance, you're stuck in the same personal choice we all are for pocket carry, to wit: a small number of FBI-protocol capable rounds or a much larger amount of pretty-good-but-less-than-ideal rounds. I've been pocket carrying .380 Auto for nearly 13 years and I'll say freely that's still a very difficult decision sometimes.

Well, that is a bummer... and a great example of why I don't buy anything from Ruger* that hasn't been out for at least 3-5 years.

*and most manufacturers in general.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Well, that is a bummer... and a great example of why I don't buy anything from Ruger* that hasn't been out for at least 3-5 years.

*and most manufacturers in general.
    Totally agree with this principle. I think the LCP Max is the only time I've violated it in recent memory.

I want the 4.6" M&P 10mm so, so much, but it came out in November 2021, so I'm stuck just forlornly looking into the distance until mid-late 2023.

Unless Glock comes out with a Gen 5 G20, in which case I'm stuck forlornly looking into the distance until 2024.

User Tag List