Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Switching Back To PTD Loops From DCC Clips

I meant to say more about the PTD loops I'm using. Over the years, I've acquired a ziplock bag full of extra PTD's, some in pairs, some mismatched, many of them given to me by br'er Dale Fricke, others coming from various holsters that have come out of and gone back into the box o' holsters.

I first tried a couple of thicker, maybe older Blade-Tech loops set on the 1.25 holes. They fit on the three different 1.5 belts I use, and damn but they were secure. The next day as I was changing out of my work clothes, I noticed as I took off my polo that the cost of that security was that the material of the pants was being pulled and bunched around the belt loop so much that it was going to damage my slacks before too long. I got out the ziplock and compared matched pairs against belts until I found the ones with 1.5 holes that had the least amount of gap, the winning pair was of the newer, thinner variety.

Yet another savvy tip I picked up from PF is to iron or press the loops flat before installation for less bulk under the shirt. I haven't owned an iron in years, so my solution is to install and secure the snap set so the loops can't shift, then insert everything but the snap between to 45lb Olympic plates and stacking another 45lb'er on top and leaving them overnight. This results in some very flat PTD's with just the barest minimum of shifting able to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I meant to say more about the PTD loops I'm using. Over the years, I've acquired a ziplock bag full of extra PTD's, some in pairs, some mismatched, many of them given to me by br'er Dale Fricke, others coming from various holsters that have come out of and gone back into the box o' holsters.

I first tried a couple of thicker, maybe older Blade-Tech loops set on the 1.25 holes. They fit on the three different 1.5 belts I use, and damn but they were secure. The next day as I was changing out of my work clothes, I noticed as I took off my polo that the cost of that security was that the material of the pants was being pulled and bunched around the belt loop so much that it was going to damage my slacks before too long. I got out the ziplock and compared matched pairs against belts until I found the ones with 1.5 holes that had the least amount of gap, the winning pair was of the newer, thinner variety.

Yet another savvy tip I picked up from PF is to iron or press the loops flat before installation for less bulk under the shirt. I haven't owned an iron in years, so my solution is to install and secure the snap set so the loops can't shift, then insert everything but the snap between to 45lb Olympic plates and stacking another 45lb'er on top and leaving them overnight. This results in some very flat PTD's with just the barest minimum of shifting able to take place.
    You can also clamp the loops in a vise or something similar and hit them with a heat gun for a bit to set the loop in the orientation you desire. It's quick and doesn't involve lifting weights.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I really like PTD loops for the security they provide but the snaps print too much for me. I like the DCC Monoblock for the concealment it provides but it allows a little too much holster movement for me. I may try the Push To Lock (PTL) loops and see how they work.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I like the stability of DCC clips (have got several types of the regular ones and a monoblock) far more than anything else I have used. The only PTD loops I use are on full size guns to allow more movement, specifically with my DSG light bearing holster. I have used the DCC clips with a Wilson Brig Tac and full size Glock with light and they work, it's just less comfortable to me. The edge in concealment is still there, but the only times I carry those full size guns anymore is late fall, winter, and early spring when I can dress around the gun more anyways. Otherwise, I think DCC clips are perfect for compacts and subcompacts where the stability makes a huge difference, lack of mobility doesn't matter, and added concealability is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I really like PTD loops for the security they provide but the snaps print too much for me. I like the DCC Monoblock for the concealment it provides but it allows a little too much holster movement for me. I may try the Push To Lock (PTL) loops and see how they work.
    Try a JM 2.5 with DCCs. That gets you two separate Mod 4 Universal DCC clips close enough together to basically be spaced like the two clips of a Monoblock. But you can adjust them individually, canting them a bit or moving them up and down in relation to each other. I do this to set mine up so that on the belt it’s allowed a bit of reverse cant, but I’m still keeping the grip of my gun from rotating too far on my belt. So looking down at the right handed holster I’m wearing, the clip on the left hand side is set just a bit higher than the other so its tooth is higher up and catches on the belt before the holster can rotate farther to the right than I want. Still rotates a bit to make long periods of sitting comfortable.

I like PTDs as they are "not fussy"...

And I like Tom's, (Dark Star Gear), metal clip because once set up it doesn't need adjustment...as in "not fussy".

Set and forget.

There's a pattern here somewhere.

Now get off my lawn.

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List