Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for a new mag pouch

Exclamation

www.shopleatherworks.com

All kydex gear is available to order until midnight 8/31/12. On 9/1/12 all kydex will be permanently removed and no longer offered except for combo carriers and tac-hybrids. Please get your orders in before then because once this deadline passes no kydex orders will be accepted and no exceptions will be made.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...9&postcount=82

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I don't like the pancake design because it is a bulkier and less comfortable then it needs to be. I have not had any experience with your mag pouches but my Raven Concealment pouches did not snug or conceal the mag any closer or better then my CCC mag carriers. It may just be me though.
    I have to admit that the Raven carriers did conceal a tad bit better for me...

However, with CC or kytex style mag carriers my clean reloads are consistently .2-.4 seconds faster and my fumbled reloads which used to be quite common, are almost non-existent now. It is much harder for me to get a consistent index on the raven style pouches. As soon as I switched to kytex, many of my reload issues became non-issues.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Mag pouches

I recently wanted to get some new kydex mag pouches for my Sig P226, I looked around online and found L.A.G. Tactical Inc. They make great looking kydex holsters for almost any magazine, and if they don't have yours listed on their site, then you can call them to see about having one custom done to what ever magazine you need. If anyone would like to see their stuff, check it out on www.lagtactical.com. Hope this helps your search!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    I don't like the pancake design because it is a bulkier and less comfortable then it needs to be. I have not had any experience with your mag pouches but my Raven Concealment pouches did not snug or conceal the mag any closer or better then my CCC mag carriers. It may just be me though.
    That's understandable. Just from a design standpoint, pancakes force the magazine into the body whereas something like the mentioned pouches hang the magazine off the belt.

It really depends on how tall the belt loop is. Too tall and it defeats the purpose. Too short and many thicker belts are harder to thread through. I shoot for no extra clearance room once something like an Atlas or thick leather belt is threaded. Helps with the mag sliding around on the waist line as well. I also try and avoid tension screws wherever possible. They increase footprint and are just one more thing to get lost / lose proper tension setting.

For strictly concealment purpose (OWB mag carrier, not IWB) it's worth trying a Glock magazine pouch, or even a traditional Leather pancake. It will not be easier to put on, and since it holds so tight to the body, will be less comfortable. But honestly, for cheap, off-the-shelf convenient, concealment magazine carriers - it's hard to beat the Glock Combat gear.

This is nothing against Kytex or CCC, etc. They make nice stuff, it's just a different piece of gear with it's own set of Pros and Cons. No free lunch and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P226 View Post
    I recently wanted to get some new kydex mag pouches for my Sig P226, I looked around online and found L.A.G. Tactical Inc. They make great looking kydex holsters for almost any magazine, and if they don't have yours listed on their site, then you can call them to see about having one custom done to what ever magazine you need. If anyone would like to see their stuff, check it out on www.lagtactical.com. Hope this helps your search!
    While I wish the listed company nothing but success and I'm a big fan of a competitive market, their magazine carrier appears to exactly the same as our Low Profile Carrier I brought out almost 2 years ago. If I remember correctly, our Forum's own VolGrad helped work on the project with me. It's suprisingly turned in to our most successful mag carrier to date. There's a new version that should be listed in the coming months that expands on the concept, but if nothing else makes it IDPA legal (an issue with the original).

I'm finding the biggest factor, even more than concealment ability, as to whether a person carries a spare magazine or not is the ease of putting it on and taking it off the belt. I'm really trying to embrace that idea, since a spare magazine is very important for EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    If I remember correctly, our Forum's own VolGrad helped work on the project with me. It's suprisingly turned in to our most successful mag carrier to date.
    I think I still have the sketches I sent you around here somewhere. My recollection was me repeatedly asking you to cut off any excess material and making the overall package as trim as possible. That led to the clipped corners. I think I might have asked for lower riding too. I know at one time you sent me like 6 different versions of single pouches to test and provide feedback. This one ... the one I sketched out and sent you is prob my favorite of the pancake designs.

Hey .... wait .... most successful to date? Where's my royalties?

Nothing against Kytex, they make great stuff, but I think the pancake design will hold tighter OWB.
    I actually think I disagree with this statement. I know in the next post you stated the pancake design forces the mag in toward the body and in theory and practice that is true. However, I think my Kytex pouches do hold plenty snug to the body and conceal just as well or better than pancake designs. Both are excellent but I prefer the more compact design and quicker on/off of the Kytex.

Of course, you know that's not a knock on your stuff. I think we have proven I'm a fan of your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I actually think I disagree with this statement. I know in the next post you stated the pancake design forces the mag in toward the body and in theory and practice that is true. However, I think my Kytex pouches do hold plenty snug to the body and conceal just as well or better than pancake designs. Both are excellent but I prefer the more compact design and quicker on/off of the Kytex.

Of course, you know that's not a knock on your stuff. I think we have proven I'm a fan of your gear.
    It's cool. For the sake of discussion, I'm trying to keep my company and any bias out of the coversation. But if you enlarge the item carried (I.E. Pistol), it becomes immediately apparent why pancakes tend to conceal better. Same reason a pancake holster isn't generally preferred for competition whereas the taco style is. With pancakes, you get that "kydex pancake lean" - or the twisting the torso to the side when drawing to get some clearance between the pistol and the body.

After a long break from taco style gear, I've been prototyping different designs a lot lately. Nothing that enchroaches on Kytex territory though. But inparticular our upcoming AIWB rig and an IWB magazine carrier to compliment it. What I've found is that the taco style doesn't yield any concealment benefit or even real estate benefit in and of itself. Because where the material doesn't exist (where it would on a pancake), the belt and pants still "blanket" that area, since it's impossible for the belt to contour around a double stack magazine or gun.

When OWB, theres obviously no pants or belt to blanket (since they are behind the carrier). So you get printing at these hard corners. However, the taco style IWB has some distinct advantages that I'm trying to exploit. The OWB mag carriers being discussed have some distinct advantages as well - namely comfort and ease of getting on and off. They also tend to ride lower, which can be an advantage depending on the situation. But we will have to agree to disagree that they conceal better than a pancake design.

Royalties? Psh. Ain't no money in magazine carriers, homie. They use the same amount of hardware, same amount of rivets, just slightly less Kydex, same amount of assembly / prep time, and have almost the same amount of finished surfaces. If I was smart, I'd dump magazine carriers from the line.

If you ever come up to visit, I give you rights to all the beer you want to drink out of my fridge. :-)

But if you enlarge the item carried (I.E. Pistol), it becomes immediately apparent why pancakes tend to conceal better. Same reason a pancake holster isn't generally preferred for competition whereas the taco style is.
    No argument there. I just disagree that pancake pouches conceal better.
    If you ever come up to visit, I give you rights to all the beer you want to drink out of my fridge. :-)
    Done.

... and that's no joke on mag pouches. I don't see why anyone would want to make them. They are lot of work. I see them as a necessary evil for gear makers as they have to offer them because people have to have them. In order to pay back what it costs to make them the price is almost as much as a holster.

User Tag List