Thread: Hand Grip

Hand Grip

New to shooting. Trying to learn how to grip a S&W SD9VE with the thumbs-forward method. However, the takedown button is kind of in the way. When the support hand thumb is placed on the finger-rest dent below the slide, the takedown button pokes the thumb.

Wonder what I do wrong, and how/where you place your support hand thumb?

Site Supporter
    Howdy! Welcome to PF. There will be several opinions on this. None are "more right" than the others. Find one that works for you. My suggestion is to not press so hard with the support hand thumb. My thumb rests there when shooting that pistol. Light pressure there shouldn't present an issue but it is something that could feel a little odd. There are some quality instructors that address building a repeatable grip in an on-line format. Do a little google search and search the forum here for some different solutions.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Don't get too concerned where to place your thumbs and where to point them as these things are byproducts what you do with parts other then thumbs. Be concerned where your hands should go and what the angulation of wrists should be, and let thumbs fall where they may. For some people - gun combinations there will be interferences with controls to various degrees, and for most won't.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    This may be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WXmh_kF-1Y

Additionally, try to line up the central axis of the barrel with the central axis of your forearm when viewed from the top.

The thumbs can go on either the frame or slide. If they are on the side of the slide, you will not notice or interfere with the slide movement.

That Julie Golob video was a superb 1 minute. I wish more you tubers could put so much clarity in such a compressed amount of time.

Mas Ayoob's https://youtu.be/XVvUHsFdHK4 is a bit longer and should be of value to a new shooter in particular. There are many ways to do it right...
    My apologies to weasels.

User Tag List