Thread: Eligible pistol?

Eligible pistol?

Hi all. Just beginning to see if IDPA is for me. I apologize if this has been asked before but it is somewhat a time sensitive question . I have a friend who shoots a Sig320Max in other type competitions and I was wondering if it is allowed in IDPA matches? If not, are any Sigs with red dots allowed. He is going to sell it at a very reasonable price to me if I can use it? Which class would it fall under in IDPA? Concealed carry with optics…? Not so concealable!!!
    Thank you. It looks like an interesting competition!

"Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Also, Appendix C would be applicable since the gun has optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronco View Post
    Concealed carry with optics…? Not so concealable!!!
    Realize that what IDPA considers to be "concealed" and what would actually be "concealed" for someone carrying a gun around in public are two totally different things.

That said, it's possible to conceal a P320-sized gun, it's just a little more difficult, and you wouldn't be using a holster optimized for competition.

Agreed. At the local level concealment is no big deal. I shoot a 92 in a Blackhawk non-Serpa holster which gives the gun grip maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from my belt. No way I would wear that in public but it works fine for IDPA. Also at the matches I shoot in the Va area, from May through Sept, concealment is quite often not required. You can get away w/ just a nylon shell type coat but most of us a have a dedicated vest. I like my 5-11 because it has big patch pockets at the bottom front that have somewhat stiff panel of velcro inside. The stiffness makes it super easy to throw the bottom corner rearward to get to your pistol.

Site Supporter
    The link above to Appendix C is helpful. If it fits in the box, as illustrated, it is ready for the Carry Optics Division, which is becoming the most popular division in IDPA.

Welcome to the forum!

I've not shot IDPA, but have done a few competitions here and there. I can't express how much fun it is, and you're definitely making the right choice by trying your hand at shooting a competition. This forum is also a great place to learn about pistol craft and competition. So you've already won twice.

Try to have someone record your stages at your first match, and post them when you can. It's a hit to the ego when you finish the match, but you'll see so much you can do better on next time that it gets you excited. Posting a video here can help you find out where you can tweak things.

User Tag List