View Poll Results: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. So I don’t.

6 7.06%
  • Yes. But I don’t.

4 4.71%
  • No. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

16 18.82%
  • Yes. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

47 55.29%
  • No. But I do more than 20 min / day average.

2 2.35%
  • Yes. I do more than 20 min / day average.

10 11.76%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Quote Originally Posted by P226SAOFan View Post
    I enjoy it. I also like the expensive but fun coolfire trainer which cycles the slide from co2.
    I must say I enjoy this as well. I wish my carry gun had this as an option, however, have pretty much dedicated one of my Elites to this, in case of part failure and to make sure I don't get so lazy with grip and dry firing. I bought it when I found a bit off, just after the family medical issue put live fire on hold.

I dry practice three to five days a week for 15-30 minutes at a time. Mostly I work pistol from concealment and occasionally work rifle or pistol from a duty belt. I enjoy dry practice in the same way I enjoy exercise. It’s work that I do in order to improve at something I think is important. I enjoy the process of getting better at things. I’m work on a faster draw from AIWB, faster target-to-target transitions, or mor consistent slow fire accuracy to small/distant targets the way I work on getting stronger at the Turkish get-up weight or the kettlebell snatch. Sometimes, I do find myself enjoying the activity more than other times. Usually it’s when I’m having a session in which things just seem to flow better.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I try to get in some dry fire 5 - 6 days a week
    usually 5 - 20 minutes, mostly from concealment.

I do it, but the constant trigger resetting is annoying and probably causes some adverse process memory. I wish someone would come up with a dryfire scheme for Glock where you could set up a dedicated practice frame that has a simulated trigger break without having to reset.

Does anyone have experience with Dryfiremag for Glocks? That might be a solution.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I do it, but the constant trigger resetting is annoying and probably causes some adverse process memory. I wish someone would come up with a dryfire scheme for Glock where you could set up a dedicated practice frame that has a simulated trigger break without having to reset.

Does anyone have experience with Dryfiremag for Glocks? That might be a solution.
    I played with one a couple of times. A friend was doing a group buy and was asking me if I wanted one. He let me try the one he had. Not quite like a real dry press. Sort of takes you to the wall, but feels different. No break. Not saying it is useless but for me, I figured I'd get better results with a dozen snap caps and a spare striker assembly. Came out cheaper too, if that matters in any way.

I seem to be at the low end amongst folks here. I schedule a few minutes 2-3 times weekly. I also appreciate John Hearne’s advice from some years back: several draws before leaving home base(which is more handling/manipulation) but it’s a positive for recency; no trigger work for safety in that particular instance. It’s access from concealment (usually) to a ready.
    For me for a few minutes, I will work on one or just a few. For example: several reps two handed w/ a press, tap and reaquire sight-free stoppage reduction mixed in. Several one handed, both hands; still learning support hand presses…
    If I know of a particular eval/qual coming, I’ll review skills dry, e.g. with a security holster before the event. That would be a 15-20 minute session.
    No doubt in my mind it’s useful. A timer is almost a must. I would be pleased if all carriers did A session every few weeks/monthly. Schools like Gunsite, Rogers, Thunder Ranch explain it and encourage it, particularly during a trading week.
    Speaking of which, need to drag the carbine out and do few presentations…

I generally like dry fire, and by the scale in the poll I do a lot of it (usually about half an hour or more a night).

Things that help me enjoy it:
    * keeping a training log so I can track my progress in both dry and live fire
    * Shooting the same sort of stuff that I've been practicing in dry fire when I go to the range
    * Making a point to analyze and refine dry fire based on my live fire
    * Taking a break or switching drills if I'm getting frustrated
    * Making sure I break bigger stuff down into micro-drills in the same session

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    I played with one a couple of times. A friend was doing a group buy and was asking me if I wanted one. He let me try the one he had. Not quite like a real dry press. Sort of takes you to the wall, but feels different. No break. Not saying it is useless but for me, I figured I'd get better results with a dozen snap caps and a spare striker assembly. Came out cheaper too, if that matters in any way.
    Glock store has a reset kit with trigger and striker (doesn’t fire most primers when I tried it but YMMV).

It is fantastic for Glock dryfire and I set up a practice gun that way when starting.

Couple that with a standard cheapo laser cartridge and it’s very effective practice for irons. For optics I skip the laser and just go with red dot movement in the window.

It’s a little spendy but to me totally worth it for training efficiency.

I didn’t like the dryfire mag because you can’t really use it in combination with reload exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Glock store has a reset kit with trigger and striker (doesn’t fire most primers when I tried it but YMMV).

It is fantastic for Glock dryfire and I set up a practice gun that way when starting.

Couple that with a standard cheapo laser cartridge and it’s very effective practice for irons. For optics I skip the laser and just go with red dot movement in the window.

It’s a little spendy but to me totally worth it for training efficiency.

I didn’t like the dryfire mag because you can’t really use it in combination with reload exercises.
    Thanks - I’ll look at that.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

This may be a separate topic but it’s worth discussing whether having a resetting trigger is necessary for dry fire. There’s plenty of GMs who shoot glocks exclusively in competition. Maybe @Gio can comment on his experience.

User Tag List