View Poll Results: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. So I don’t.

6 7.06%
  • Yes. But I don’t.

4 4.71%
  • No. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

16 18.82%
  • Yes. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

47 55.29%
  • No. But I do more than 20 min / day average.

2 2.35%
  • Yes. I do more than 20 min / day average.

10 11.76%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Are you a Glock person?

A bit of folded paper to keep the slide out of battery does wonders. Not exactly the same, but better than the dead trigger IMO.
    That’s what I do - a piece of thin cardboard.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

There is a trick with Glocks where you can put something in the breach face to hold it slightly out of battery and get the trigger to move back and forth and reset. You lose the tactile click of the trigger breaking but you can simulate trigger finger movement. I used to take a wide rubber band (think from a stock of broccoli) and cut about a .5” length of it to use for this.

For the last 3-4 years, I just press a dead trigger after the first press. I still move my trigger finger and try to simulate the same trigger pressure, but I am not hung up on having a resetting trigger. To work on trigger control, I do the drill where I set a random start time and be aimed at a small target and press the trigger as fast as possible when the timer goes off. The goal is to break the trigger in .20 or less (standard human reaction time).

For working non everything else (transitions, draws, reloads, movement, etc) I find it’s not necessary to have a resetting trigger. Sometimes I won’t even press the trigger at all if I’m really working on visual patience and I’ll just confirm the sight picture I need to confirm on each target and then move on to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is a good question--and leads to another question: if you do enjoy dryfire, what are you doing that makes this activity fun?
    I like guns and I like handling guns. Granted, this leads to a very unstructured dry practice regimen as I'll pick up the gun that interests me at that moment and do what I feel like doing at that time, but it does keeps things interesting. Back in the day I used to do much more regimented dry practice with pre-planned hour long sessions after work, but I'm a lazy bastard and I sort of burned out doing that.

My draw stroke has always sucked (and will probably always suck...), so a long while ago I decided that I will try to train this as often as possible, as early in the day as possible to make sure it gets done. This led into a couple to fiveish minutes of draw stroke practice before going to work, and I've managed to keep up the habit ever since. It's just a dozen or two of draws, but it has made a difference and I enjoy it when I can get the sights to snap onto the target with perfect alignment (or as close to it as I can see...). For the sake of safety, since I do this in the morning, I don't incorporate trigger pulls to my morning session in case I'm not quite as awake yet as I thought and a live round somehow sneaks into my gun (if you ever met me when I had just woken up you'd understand...), so my trigger press needs more work. The plan was I'll do the same kind of quick session after work, but there are a lot more variables to when I can get around to it and by that time the caffeine has worn off, so... Trigger work gets relegated to be a part of my more organic dry fire regimen.

Hmm. I think once I finish this cigar I'll go grab a revolver and some snap caps and spend a few minutes doing some actual dry fire.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I definitely enjoy dryfiring when it's dedicated time with a timer and a goal for less than 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, I just plain don't do that much. Instead, I leave my blue gun at the entrance to my garage and I pick it up and get some sight pictures when I walk in. My laundry is in the garage so it's pretty much everyday. It's normally at 3 dots on the back of my overhead door with 2 "trigger pulls" on each. The goal is to point my eyes very specifically at where I want to shoot and then move the sight to them. It's not much, and I only run through the targets 2 or 3 times before I get on with what I was doing. I need to work set out time into my routine. Along with a million other things.

I felt shame as I voted "No, so I don't" but at least I'm honest. I 100% know that dry work will up my shooting game and I just haven't committed to it.

Site Supporter
    This thread inspired me to dry fire four days over the last week. I wouldn't say it's my favorite way to spend half an hour, but it wasn't the most unpleasant thing I did during that time (that title belongs to attempting an evening trip to the range, getting a flat tire 5 miles from the range/an hour away from home, waiting on/riding in a tow truck for 1.5 hours, and turning a quick range trip into a $1500 misadventure - wouldn't have happened if I stayed home and dry fired).

I like it. I do it probably 5-10 minutes every day sometimes more. I like it more that I’ve got a dot gun that I’m transitioning too. I’ve also picked up an airsoft trainer and I’m working on setting up a better airsoft range once I get into my new house. Currently just have a Velcro patch panel with some ben stoeger pro shop 1/3 and 1/6 size targets
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Dry-firing a DA revolver is usually enjoyable, depending upon whether my right hand is having a bad day. I do consider it to be essential to dry-fire, with each hand.

Dry-firing most autos, especially if for more for more than just a few “shots,” is usually depressing, as it tends to confirm that I am not aging well. Sometimes, I will set the auto down, after a very few “shots,” and dry-fire a revolver, as a remedy. I have always needed some amount of live fire to maintain skill and confidence with autos.

Dry-fire cannot be enjoyable if I do it for anything nearly as long as 20 minutes at a time. I do usually manage some amount of dry fire, most days, usually several times each day.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    I enjoy dry fire principally in the sense that I derive satisfaction from knowing it's contributing to my improvement. But it's not something I look forward to, like sitting down with a beer at the end of the day. It's more like a box I have to check. I think I can still say I enjoy it, even though it's not something I'd do just for its own sake.
    This explains how I feel about dry fire much better than I could have articulated it.

Most weeks I dry fire 4 or 5 times, for 15 to 20 minutes each session.

Two sessions each week are devoted to working with my concealment gear. The other sessions are done with my USPSA gear. (Thought I'd point that out for the member who likes to claim those who shoot competition are fools )

I've become much more disciplined about it since the pandemic started, and I spent many months without any live fire. I've stayed disciplined about it since ammo has been so hard to come by, and live fire still is still limited.

Like lwt16, I start and end each session with draws, and no trigger pulls. For the same reason he gave.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I do it, but the constant trigger resetting is annoying and probably causes some adverse process memory. I wish someone would come up with a dryfire scheme for Glock where you could set up a dedicated practice frame that has a simulated trigger break without having to reset.

Does anyone have experience with Dryfiremag for Glocks? That might be a solution.
    I do.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-with-MantisX

After more than a year with it, I'd say its a very good way to dry fire with the a Glock. If I were doing it again I'd get it without the Mantis X, and just use a par time on a regular shot timer. However, one feature the Mantis X software didn't initially have, but has now is a regular shot timer feature, so you can do a full drill, and have it record times for an entire string.

Another option worth considering, which either wasn't available, or I just didn't find, when I bought the Dry Fire Mag, is this: https://store.laser-ammo.com/accesso...-triggers.html

Supposedly that functions like the 17R. Its set up for use with their laser cartridges, and targets, but I don't see why it couldn't be used for just dry fire.
    Last edited by DMF13; 07-11-2021 at 09:34 PM.

User Tag List