View Poll Results: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. So I don’t.

6 7.06%
  • Yes. But I don’t.

4 4.71%
  • No. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

16 18.82%
  • Yes. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

47 55.29%
  • No. But I do more than 20 min / day average.

2 2.35%
  • Yes. I do more than 20 min / day average.

10 11.76%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Question about dry fire.
    Do you do it and do you enjoy it?
    This is a good question--and leads to another question: if you do enjoy dryfire, what are you doing that makes this activity fun?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It helps to be working with a really excellent DA trigger.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is a good question--and leads to another question: if you do enjoy dryfire, what are you doing that makes this activity fun?
    I enjoy dry fire principally in the sense that I derive satisfaction from knowing it's contributing to my improvement. But it's not something I look forward to, like sitting down with a beer at the end of the day. It's more like a box I have to check. I think I can still say I enjoy it, even though it's not something I'd do just for its own sake.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

I was a broke college kid with a couple of pistols, and while range time would cost money, dry-fire was free.

I killed a USP firing pin with dry fire, and my dry fire is basically a hobby right along with live fire.

I like the firearms manipulation, I like the exercise in marksmanship, I like that it's free and easy, and I like the way that it's a method of skill development.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I enjoy it but just do a few times a week and ~10mins or so before I get bored. More recently as I've switched back to Glock from the 365. I guess I first started doing it decades ago when I got tired of missing what I was shooting at and wasting ammo.
    Adam

Question about dry fire.

I do it as much as I can. It is rare that I can start before 10 pm. When I can hit it at 9 or so, it is a 45 min session. If I get to it late, I do it for few min and with a lesser intensity. Just to keep handing the gun regularly. These days I can't do it every day.

Enjoyment is an interesting question. My verbal output during dry sessions is binary, "fuuuck" or "that was OK". If it is more fuck than OK, it means I am not enjoying it that much. If it is more OK, than it's OK.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

My schedules has been varying enough, that I haven't done it the last few weeks. Before that, when it was normalized, I was doing it two to three times a week, throughout the day, when I am home.
    One range day late last year, after my friend/boss died for stress relief, and stopped in 2019, with the possibility of having to be a transplant donor to family. Ammo is high, time is scarce and too many people sick or dying. Dry fire will be my range time for the foreseeable future. Hoping ammo will come down, when time goes up.

Question about dry fire.
    Yes and yes. I think there’s a sweet spot of too little and too much time doing it so I try to find the balance where it’s always enjoyable. Currently I DF 5-6 days a week and the time varies but it’s usually 20-40 mins. Oddly enough, I practice less now but am seeing better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is maybe the more important question. When I just did the same drills over and over with no real purpose it was not enjoyable. My DF is very focused to try and reach some objective standards and that keeps me motivated.

Learning and growing is fun. That’s what keeps me going.

I enjoy it. I also like the expensive but fun coolfire trainer which cycles the slide from co2.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack;1237605 [I
    what are you doing that makes this activity suck less?[/I]
    Combining it with other activities that suck like exercise, cutting my velociraptor claw like toenails, cleaning. ExcerdryfirecleanNhygiene. Patent pending.

I figured out awhile ago that reading the meme or chainsaw threads while dryfiring would give me more improvement than spending time reading boring technical threads.

User Tag List