View Poll Results: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. So I don’t.

6 7.06%
  • Yes. But I don’t.

4 4.71%
  • No. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

16 18.82%
  • Yes. But I do less than 20 min / day average.

47 55.29%
  • No. But I do more than 20 min / day average.

2 2.35%
  • Yes. I do more than 20 min / day average.

10 11.76%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy dry fire?

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    This may be a separate topic but it’s worth discussing whether having a resetting trigger is necessary for dry fire. There’s plenty of GMs who shoot glocks exclusively in competition. Maybe @Gio can comment on his experience.
    I don't think it's necessary if the muscles and muscle memory is built up from live fire.

But if the trigger press isn't fully developed and the different types of trigger presses for different target difficulty isn't fully developed... this can be a good workout and a way to burn in proper fundamentals rather than imagining it.

These days I am using a DASA gun for dry fire and I don't have a resetting trigger per se for my SA shots and it doesn't really matter.

But I think since guys like Max take the time to reset for their first shot, they'd use a reset trigger system if it were available for P320s... if it were faithful enough. But since Max and Lenny Magill are partnering on other things maybe Lenny could make a P320 resetting trigger kit too. Might be harder since it's integrated into an FCU for that unit.

At least half my dryfire is without a trigger press, or with just a single press. I've been focusing on vision-driven drills.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    This may be a separate topic but it’s worth discussing whether having a resetting trigger is necessary for dry fire. There’s plenty of GMs who shoot glocks exclusively in competition. Maybe @Gio can comment on his experience.
    I’m not a GM, but I don’t think a reset trigger is mandatory. Dryfire as I understand it originally was pushed in “Bullseye”, and also part of military rifle training - “snapping in”. Cooper et.al.expanded it with “gun handling” added. Bryce of the early FBI reportedly almost incessantly practiced a concealed draw, probably working a double action revolver trigger too.
    The recent ammo drought has reaffirmed dry fire/manipulations.
    So while a reset setup would be nice to have it should NOT be an excuse not to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I’m not a GM, but I don’t think a reset trigger is mandatory. Dryfire as I understand it originally was pushed in “Bullseye”, and also part of military rifle training - “snapping in”. Cooper et.al.expanded it with “gun handling” added. Bryce of the early FBI reportedly almost incessantly practiced a concealed draw, probably working a double action revolver trigger too.
    So while a reset setup would be nice to have it should NOT be an excuse not to do something.
    I’ve been doing the cardboard dead trigger thing, but it’s most unsatisfying and I don’t think it offers me as much as resetting since I can’t work on the bobble at the wall.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Understand and agree. My point is any good, safe and correct manipulation(s)are better than nothing. I do other work like working light switch, stoppage clearance, etc.
    It’s sobering to consider how many “concealed carriers” have not worked on the draw/presentation for example.

Edit to add: as @JCN suggests, working a DA trigger is good exercise. Rogers is his “basic” course starts out folks w/aDA .22 revolver. Df a revolver/DA auto has benefits.
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 06-30-2021 at 10:03 AM.

My post didn’t intend to discount opinions of non GMs so I apologize if that’s how it read. It was just that people can reach elite skill levels without a resetting trigger in dry fire. I started on Glocks and thought it was a big deal to have a resetting trigger. Then dabbled in da/sa and currently running sigs. It does have a resetting trigger but I personally don’t think it matters. I adjust my dry trigger pulls to fit the target and difficulty.

Here is a great example of how to work a Glock trigger in dry Fire https://www.instagram.com/reel/CPbk0...um=share_sheet

Site Supporter
    I need to do it more. Add it to the list of things I do not like to do but do it anyway.

Lifting weights, mowing, cleaning, errands, settling down, minimizing unhealthy eating in my life, arguing with crazy white women about social issues, etc are all things I don’t always enjoy, often never, but they increase my quality of life, make me a better person, and make me happier.

No reason I can’t add something else to that list that will benefit me and those around me.

Site Supporter
    I've increased my dry fire and have also been enjoying it a bit more recently as I transition to a double action pistol for carry. It has been reinforcing my awareness that my vision is not getting better.

Edit to add: as @JCN suggests, working a DA trigger is good exercise. Rogers is his “basic” course starts out folks w/aDA .22 revolver. Df a revolver/DA auto has benefits.
    I work with a DA revolver as “weightlifting” practice for my CO shooting.

Especially weak hand to develop muscles, strength and isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve been doing the cardboard dead trigger thing, but it’s most unsatisfying and I don’t think it offers me as much as resetting since I can’t work on the bobble at the wall.

Are you a Glock person?

A bit of folded paper to keep the slide out of battery does wonders. Not exactly the same, but better than the dead trigger IMO.

User Tag List