Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred Red Dot Mount

I have a few Larue mounts I got as part of an optic purchase, but I don't like their mounting system much and wouldn't buy the mount standalone.
    I tend to like ADM for QD mounts. For non-qd Geissele is good. Especially back in "normal" days when you could get them at a discount during holiday sales.

I don't like Bobro because it's "too sophisticated", in my opinion, and the levers tend to stick out quite a bit.

The downside of unity fast mount system - your magnifier must be used with their mounts only. You can't simply take a magnifier in a unity mount and put it on a rifle with an optic in a different mount because the magnifier sits directly in line of lower third mounted optic, when folded down.

One solution that I saw for people that need ultra high red dots:
    buy a riser and then mount the red dot/magnifier on a riser. In the future, if you have a rifle with more traditionally mounted red-dots, simply moving the magnifier will allow you to use it on that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I'd say my favorite micro red dot mount these days is the Scalarworks LEAP. Yeah they're a little pricey, but back in like 2008 a good micro mount would set you back over a hundo. The LEAP also returns to zero if for some reason you have to remove it. I've confirmed RTZ to the best of my shooting abilities. They're also very light if that is a concern.

Back in the day, the LaRue mounts were about the best around. I still have an Aimpoint Micro on a LT660, or LaRue Tall mount as they used to call them, but there are better options these days.

As far as the height goes, I've become a fan of 1.93" mounts lately due to some ongoing issues in my neck, but lower 1/3 is still fine. I'm not a fan of absolute cowitness height and never have been. It boils down to personal preference.
    Any decent mount will return to zero.

Using a tool to achieve a consistent torque, more than a few inch pounds, is much better than finger tight may be at the moment.

Site Supporter
    Far from an expert, but I'll add my +1 for the 1.93 Scalarworks. I like the height for red dot shooting and the attachment mechanism is the best I've seen. I'll leave it to someone with more rounds/abuse on one to speak to its durability, but the design is much better than a lever IMO. Sits flush with the gun and still easily removable in just a couple seconds if you need to switch to irons.

On my rifle with no backup irons, I use a 1.93 Reptilia since I have no need to ever remove it in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Any decent mount will return to zero.

Using a tool to achieve a consistent torque, more than a few inch pounds, is much better than finger tight may be at the moment.
    I was referring to QD mounts even though I didn't specify. LaRue and ADM mounts have always needed a few clicks of windage to get them back to zero.

I got a Sparc and this thread got me thinking that I might want to try a magnifier. So I went all in thinking Unity was the way to go, just to order and realize that the vortex magnifier can’t mount on the unity products. And, I wanted to try the 1.93” or higher because I have a long neck and some herniated disks make turtling get painful. I thought I had the ticket, but back to square one…

Vortex magnifier goes to lower 1/3 with the mount that’s provided. I could do like a lower 1/3 height Skalarworks that would work with it. But, I’m losing out on some of the height that folks seem to be raving about of late, and stuck with a magnifier that’s swinging out to the side and not center which is what seems so cool about the unity mount…

Site Supporter
    I have become a fan of the Reptilia 1.93" for the micro series. Geiselle makes a good mount, but I hate the 1/2" nut sticking off the side. Reptilia does away with any extended knobs, levers, bolts, etc. and gives a very smooth snag free mount. As for the Unity FAST setup: I tried it, and it worked ok for standing, but in prone, I could not even get a sight picture without contorting my neck into a very uncomfortable and unsustainable position. With a 1.93" height I can get in all positions comfortably.

There are folks with a lot more experience with other brands than I have but I have Scalarworks mounts for my Comp M5 and Aimpoint PRO (both on carbines and 1.57"). I really love them! Very light, repeatable return to zero and attractive as well.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    There are folks with a lot more experience with other brands than I have but I have Scalarworks mounts for my Comp M5 and Aimpoint PRO (both on carbines and 1.57"). I really love them! Very light, repeatable return to zero and attractive as well.
    I bought a Scalarworks mount, for some reason thinking that the ‘Click Drive’ had little gear to multiply torque so that finger tight would be pretty tight.

It’s just a screw with a detent to keep it from loosening up and falling off because it’s barely finger tight. Lol. Marketing brilliance.

If the height specs works for you, the Daniel Defense Rock & Lock mount is light and sturdy. I need something a bit taller so I'm using the Scalarworks LEAP 1.93 for quick detach applications and the Reptilia DOT 1.93 mount when QD is not a requirement.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List