Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Red Dot Mount

Preferred Red Dot Mount

What is the preferred RDS micro Mount and height? Unity? Scalarworks? Reptilia?

For what gun? How tall are you? Are you using night vision? Do you want/need a magnifier?

And what dot?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

6’5”, no magnifier currently; may give it a shot later, vortex spark solar, no night vision

I’ve had excellent results with LaRue mounts for T-1 pattern optics over the years. A couple of them were subjected to serious abuse with no ill effects. All mine are lower 1/3…

My go-tos have always been Bobro and LaRue, but I haven’t bought a mount in a few years so don’t know the current latest and greatest. But I’d probably just go get another Bobro if I needed one today.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a Brobo on one and recently bought a Scalarworks. The Scalarworks is the nicest and lightest mount I’ve ever seen in person. Highly recommended.

Geissele and Reptilia.

1.93”

If you are going with a magnifier or think there is a good chance you will in the future, I'd go with the Unity FAST mount. The magnifier flipping to the center instead of hanging out to the side when you aren't using it is a big improvement in balance and field of view when shooting. The built in rear iron sight is also helpful since you can position the magnifier as far back on the rail as you need to for eye relief without having to worry about fitting in a rear sight.

If you won't be going with a magnifier I like Scalarworks 1.93 mounts.

I'd say my favorite micro red dot mount these days is the Scalarworks LEAP. Yeah they're a little pricey, but back in like 2008 a good micro mount would set you back over a hundo. The LEAP also returns to zero if for some reason you have to remove it. I've confirmed RTZ to the best of my shooting abilities. They're also very light if that is a concern.

Back in the day, the LaRue mounts were about the best around. I still have an Aimpoint Micro on a LT660, or LaRue Tall mount as they used to call them, but there are better options these days.

As far as the height goes, I've become a fan of 1.93" mounts lately due to some ongoing issues in my neck, but lower 1/3 is still fine. I'm not a fan of absolute cowitness height and never have been. It boils down to personal preference.

User Tag List