Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Green VS Red Dot: Astigmatism, Contrast and Washout

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I have to ask- for those of you with astigmatism, how much does the dot crispness matter in strings of fire when properly target focused and properly shooting the streak?

I cannot help but wonder if people making a big deal out of this factor are truly focused on the target, but I have no astigmatism so perhaps I don't understand the full ramifications.
    Slow fire, I can notice it, but for me, it doesn't matter. Like TC says, my brain knows the bigger part of the dot is my impact point... not the "tail" of the comet. At speed, with the dot really never stopping movements, I don't really notice it.

For me, a bigger dot does seem "cleaner"... but a smaller dot still seems more accurate at distance, for my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I have to ask- for those of you with astigmatism, how much does the dot crispness matter in strings of fire when properly target focused and properly shooting the streak?

I cannot help but wonder if people making a big deal out of this factor are truly focused on the target, but I have no astigmatism so perhaps I don't understand the full ramifications.
    It doesn't matter at all, but it took me a while to realize it and it's hard to convince people. I remember way back in 2009 I bought a red dot sight for the first time, a Vortex Strikefire from Optics Planet. I pulled it out of the box, looked at the dot, saw a hot mess, and immediately sent it back for replacement only to discover the same thing on the return. Then I read about astigmatism and dots on Arfcom, and then made the incorrect conclusion that I couldn't use them. It took some good instruction and a lot of shooting experience to realize how important target focus is and how it cleans up the dot in actual use. On rifles, it hurts my heart to see people buying these 1x prism sights in order to solve a problem that doesn't exist and giving up the advantage red dots have with no eyebox or eye relief to worry about. On pistols, astigmatism is even less of a problem because there are no 200-300 yard shots involved. Red dots and pistols are an even better marriage than red dots and CQB oriented carbines.

User Tag List