Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Going to 12 Labors?

Who's Going to 12 Labors?

Hey folks,

Long time no post. Life and shit.

Anyway, I'm headed to 12 Labors and wanted to start a thread.

Being from New Jerseystan, I'd love to have the hive mind help prep me and other people living behind the curtain for Austin.

1. Who's got a breakdown on moving hardware to TX out of EWR? Guns, ammo, mags, proper travel boxes for the aforementioned, etc?
    2. Places to eat, places to see, things to avoid, etc?
    3. Any other thing I haven't thought of as I typically have taken classes w/in my tri-state area.

TIA and hoping to see a bunch of familiar faces and "handles",

BH
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well...I am, but you already knew that!
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Roll the dice. Austin ain't like TX. in general. TX. it's a big state. They\ve got more damn county election boards than the state can keep track of.

Is this anything to do with the 12 Labors of Hercules.? just curious.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-28-2021 at 10:37 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Yes it does. https://12labors.com/

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Have to say that I really liked Austin when I was there but it was more than 20 years ago. I somehow met this parade of characters that kept my days full of bizarre adventures: a group of concert riggers who drove around in an uninsured old pickup truck with a fake plate on it - I rode in the back with a couple of them out to some swimming hole. A guy who talked endlessly about how his rich grandma owed him money and whose overriding desire in life seemed to be to rent jet skis, and who was recovering from a brown recluse bite. A guy named David who was fluent in spanish and looked so much like me, it was easier to just tell people we were brothers than endlessly explain that it was just a bizarre coincidence...he ended up coming down to Mexico with me. A guy named Kevin who was throwing a small party at his house, when I turned down malt liquor repeatedly on the grounds that I had gotten super dehydrated in the heat to which as a Canadian I was not accustomed. Subsequently Kevin, who split up with his girlfriend spectacularly mid-party, thought he was genuinely doing me a favour by giving me a bottle of water from the fridge...dosed up with some kind of psychedelic, I think ketamine, leaving me hallucinating for hours.

Anyway I thought it was a really fun place back then. I do hope Craig doesn't dose me unexpectedly with anything, though.

I hear it's pretty big town liberal now but for years it was one of my favourite places so I assume there's still plenty of fun stuff going on there.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

This is on again? man, I am out of the loop. Looks like a ton of fun!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

So...coming?

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    2. Places to eat, places to see, things to avoid, etc?
    3. Any other thing I haven't thought of as I typically have taken classes w/in my tri-state area.
    Re: point 2: There's an IHOP not far away from The Range. You'll have to drive against oncoming traffic but people on I-35 tend to expect that sort of thing. Franklin's BBQ is a lie. There is no BBQ, there is only The Line. It's a joke we like to play on tourists. If you want to Experience Local Culture you can only do this at The Domain northside or 500 E. 7th. If there are a lot of locals in the class and you want to break the ice, ask "so who does have the best breakfast tacos anyway?" It's a generally harmless question that will in no way start a heated argument that culminates in bloodshed. Anyway, their answer is probably wrong. Also, you'll need to check out this hole-in-the-wall joint on 45th and Lamar as they have the best Frosty Margs in Texas.

More seriously the facilities at The Range are rather posh. I'd liken it to Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ. It's more upscale than I like, but a very nice facility.

The hotel is about a $20 lyft ride to downtown outside surge pricing. The recent camping ban being reinstated is a thing, and I've noticed at least around city hall it's started to clear out some so you'll have missed Austin's attempt to recreate Skid Row in its entirety. If your stay doesn't have someone pushing you to go to Dirty 6th and Rainey you'll have missed the best, worst part of the touristy experience. The later it gets, the more Stupid Places it gets.

Beyond that... What to see and what to avoid really depends on you. There are several people in and around the area that could probably give you solid recommendations on what to try if you mention what type of food, how touristy, how much time you're willing to spend, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I hear it's pretty big town liberal now
    Greatly overstated, IMO. But that depends on your frame of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I'm glad, and not really that surprised, to hear that. For years it was one of my top 5 "might move there if things go a certain way" towns. I probably wouldn't move there now...but Freeport, on the other hand, that I could really see.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Re: point 2: There's an IHOP not far away from The Range. You'll have to drive against oncoming traffic but people on I-35 tend to expect that sort of thing. Franklin's BBQ is a lie. There is no BBQ, there is only The Line. It's a joke we like to play on tourists. If you want to Experience Local Culture you can only do this at The Domain northside or 500 E. 7th. If there are a lot of locals in the class and you want to break the ice, ask "so who does have the best breakfast tacos anyway?" It's a generally harmless question that will in no way start a heated argument that culminates in bloodshed. Anyway, their answer is probably wrong. Also, you'll need to check out this hole-in-the-wall joint on 45th and Lamar as they have the best Frosty Margs in Texas.

More seriously the facilities at The Range are rather posh. I'd liken it to Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ. It's more upscale than I like, but a very nice facility.

The hotel is about a $20 lyft ride to downtown outside surge pricing. The recent camping ban being reinstated is a thing, and I've noticed at least around city hall it's started to clear out some so you'll have missed Austin's attempt to recreate Skid Row in its entirety. If your stay doesn't have someone pushing you to go to Dirty 6th and Rainey you'll have missed the best, worst part of the touristy experience. The later it gets, the more Stupid Places it gets.

Beyond that... What to see and what to avoid really depends on you. There are several people in and around the area that could probably give you solid recommendations on what to try if you mention what type of food, how touristy, how much time you're willing to spend, etc.

So you'll be there to be my our guide?

User Tag List