Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearne & Weems: Do we shoot too much in shooting classes?

Being on the beginner end of the scale, I definitely need some processing time if I’m going to absorb new information. If I’m focussing on following instructions, I may not have the brainspace right then to think about the instructions.

I don’t really learn anything until I can reproduce it on my own. Repeating an exercise dry after shooting it live is one way to work on that, but classes usually aren’t set up for that.
    Last edited by peterb; 07-01-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Of course what I got was me and one or two other newbies taking a fundamentals class with a bunch of guys from the advanced classes who just wanted a couple more days range time with the instructor. The instructor did a great job of conducting the course, but nonetheless, it was frustrating.
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but excluding the situation where the Big Dogs come to flex on the newbies, if the advanced shooters participate in class appropriately it is unclear to me why being seen to renew their acquaintance with the fundamentals would not be a Very Good Thing for all involved? Experienced shooters are acknowledging that their present skills are the result of doing the basics very well, and that in itself should be aspirational to newbies.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but excluding the situation where the Big Dogs come to flex on the newbies, if the advanced shooters participate in class appropriately it is unclear to me why being seen to renew their acquaintance with the fundamentals would not be a Very Good Thing for all involved? Experienced shooters are acknowledging that their present skills are the result of doing the basics very well, and that in itself should be aspirational to newbies.

What am I missing?
    I wouldn't be as concerned with the "flex" (although I'm sure it's a thing) so much as the fact that if people aren't intentional about things it can easily slip into catering to the advanced shooters.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

What am I missing?
    The attitude that "I'm WAAAYYY TOOO GOOOOOD for the material being presented", and showing off that one is So Much Better Than The N00bs. That is bad.

It's a totally different thing than being willing to quietly re-acquaint oneself with the basics.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

What am I missing?
    Putting it as succinctly as I can - their concerns ref the drills are different than a shooter who needs to take a fundamentals course. Putting it another way, every moment the instructor spends working with someone who has skills beyond the course focus, is time he could have spent talking with someone who does not yet possess those skills.

Another concern, let's say the instructor limits his course to 12. If a fundamental course fills with advanced shooters, some of the shooters needing a fundamentals course may not be able to get slots.

Playing devil's advocate, if the instructor requires 12 students for the course to be conducted, and only 8 'fundamental' shooters show up, sometimes those advanced shooters can be the difference between the course being conducted or not.

I get that a professional instructor needs to make money, and I can't see anything morally wrong with allowing more advanced students in the course, I just wish they wouldn't.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List