Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X MOS test

Deep down inside I know I was happier when I was shooting glocks

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I just went and pointed the Swamp Fox into an evening sun, and there is all sorts of splatter making it hard to tell what is the primary dot. Then tested the 507K and RMSc. The RMSc dot is perfect, no splatter. The 507K has splatter with the single dot, but the circle makes the sun a non factor. The Swamp Fox will continue with the test, but I wouldn't want to carry it.
    I had precisely this effect on not one but three Sentinels. Each time, Swampfox expressed surprise at the results, but, in their defense, they took them all back with no hassle.

In fact, I got "splatter" in any outdoor lighting, including mostly overcast days on the range. IMHO, the Sentinel just isn't ready for serious use.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I had precisely this effect on not one but three Sentinels. Each time, Swampfox expressed surprise at the results, but, in their defense, they took them all back with no hassle.

In fact, I got "splatter" in any outdoor lighting, including mostly overcast days on the range. IMHO, the Sentinel just isn't ready for serious use.
    Part of me wants to switch out the Swamp Fox for a 507K or RMSc, and the other part wants to see how the Swamp Fox holds up otherwise. Think I will continue with the Swamp Fox for now because science.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If anyone has ideas of what I should be doing to test reliability of the 43X with an optic, I am open to suggestions. I am pretty committed to 115 Gold Dot as my JHP load, based on previous experience with Glock and Sig slimline pistols, but I might try a bit of 147 HST and 124 +P Gold Dot. Mostly plan to shoot 115 American Eagle ball, but my wife might have some Turkish, Czech and Serbian that she bought for practice during the great ammo drought of 2020/2021 that I can throw into the mix. Wasn’t really planning to try Shield mags, as I am looking for reliability in the OEM configuration.

You could always do something crazy like shoot a match with it. Reloads would be slow but might be a better test than doing all skills and drills.

I'm planning on shooting IDPA with my stock 48. Limited ammo has me rethinking how I practice.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    You could always do something crazy like shoot a match with it. Reloads would be slow but might be a better test than doing all skills and drills.

I'm planning on shooting IDPA with my stock 48. Limited ammo has me rethinking how I practice.
    I cause all sorts of self induced problems at matches, I am looking to make things easier not harder!

Just got back from the range, and shot 50 more rounds through the 43X at the end of my regular practice session. Decided to try 124 Magtech, to expose this pistol to more ammo types.

Name:  D61897FB-10A0-4E0A-9AB9-483F07A5004E.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  76.1 KB

Very first thing I did was shoot a five round offhand group at 25 yards. Between the light pistol and stock trigger, it felt kind of ugly, but the results were much better than I expected.

Name:  185936FC-3FF2-4721-9D1A-1F5FA6C27504.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  24.6 KB

Then I did some draws to two inch dots. It was about 930 am, and the sun was quite high, but on my first dry draw I had enough splatter that it was hard to tell what was the red dot and what was sun splatter. For my use, assuming it is not defective, this model Swamp Fox is a hard fail for EDC use.

So the 43X MOS is now at 180 rounds, issue free.

@GJM, you do provide a service with your work-thanks!

I have not taken a dive into the 43X/48, but have had several 43s through my hands. One type of ammo I have heard has caused hiccups is 127 +P+, and I personally don’t think that a wise combo(as well as inefficient -one loses some with a short barrel and just gets more blast).
    I have run 147 jhp and now have 115 Hornady in the 43 - no issues in a small number of rounds. Since you asked, consider trying a magazine of 147 jhp and 124 Gold Dot as they are pretty widespread. Perhaps the “5 yard roundup” for comparison: 10 rounds on a B8 @5 yards, time limited to 2.5 seconds, 4 strings. 1round concealed draw, 4 rounds two handed(from ready), 3 shooting hand, 3 support- last three strings from ready. I see it as one way to quick check shooter/draw/gun ammo. Just a little more info in this case...
    I again appreciate your contributions. On a dot sight, would you lean towards a 407/507K or the small RMR?

Following with interest.

If anyone has ideas of what I should be doing to test reliability of the 43X with an optic, I am open to suggestions. I am pretty committed to 115 Gold Dot as my JHP load, based on previous experience with Glock and Sig slimline pistols, but I might try a bit of 147 HST and 124 +P Gold Dot. Mostly plan to shoot 115 American Eagle ball, but my wife might have some Turkish, Czech and Serbian that she bought for practice during the great ammo drought of 2020/2021 that I can throw into the mix. Wasn’t really planning to try Shield mags, as I am looking for reliability in the OEM configuration.
    I can only think of a couple:

It was suggested to me that loading magazines with three rounds would surface initial fail to feed issues as regards some OEM magazines. I don't recall who made that comment but I used it recently in my G48 testing. It passed each time I tried it over two range visits.

I did have three / one ftf's using specific ammo. The three were with Speer Gold Dot 124+p, and the one was with Blazer Brass 124 FMJ. (This was in perhaps less than 200 rounds after receiving my G48 back from PM, direct milled or the 507k.) I've since sold the gun so I don't know if it was truly the ammo or the gun just might have issues. It certainly shot AE 124 and Federal HST without issue.

Anyway, those are the only things I can think of.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It was about 930 am, and the sun was quite high, but on my first dry draw I had enough splatter that it was hard to tell what was the red dot and what was sun splatter. For my use, assuming it is not defective, this model Swamp Fox is a hard fail for EDC use.
    After reading this thread, I thought I'd test mine out. I was shooting at my rural property yesterday at about 4pm, zero cloud cover. If I pointed it *directly* at the sun, it had a lot of splatter. A few degrees off and it had a few ghosts but it was easy to see which was the real one. Anything outside of a few degrees and there was no splatter. Certainly not when aiming at anything terrestrial.

Mine is the manual version, if that makes any difference.

Name:  20210702_155638.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  65.9 KB

3x5 card, 7y, 10 rounds to verify zero.

I can positively say that a holosun adjustment tool does *not* adjust the Swampfox....
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List