Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip and Press

Flip and Press

I wanted to get some opinions on a trigger press approach I will loosely describe as "Flip and Press"?

I shoot Glocks, and recently came across a video of a slow-fire sequence where this appeared to be used. This individual finished each trigger press flat, paused very briefly in that position, then with an audible reset of the connector, released the trigger. The next shot was taken from just before the break.

So the sequence went:

1 Get quick/careful/precise sight picture, as needed, for the target distance, then take up slack in trigger
    2 Break shot, but hold trigger against guard after
    3 Allow for a very slight pause
    4 Release (flip) the trigger all the way forward to reset connector, then take up slack again and get another sight picture
    5 Repeat at (2) as needed, otherwise release trigger and place finger on slide as usual

After I thought through what I have been doing, I am in a rush to shoot the next shot and get off the trigger, without allowing it to pause or "finish" at all, really.

I tried this very briefly at the square range at the end of my last session and discovered it did seem to offer a slight increase in accuracy, but at the expense of the delay. However the actual trigger press also seemed to result in less movement of the gun at the break, since I was mentally finishing with no movement of the trigger. Just that slight pause in time after the shot before starting the flip forward or reset of the connector seemed to be steadier.

Am I headed down the wrong path here?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Am I headed down the wrong path here?
    Yes

2 Break shot, but hold trigger against guard after
    3 Allow for a very slight pause
    This is called trigger pinning and it works only for single, slow, accuracy shots. Holding your trigger down robs you of time to reset and prepare for the next shot. Handgun cycles with 0.05 sec speed so it is ready for the next shot that soon. It is you who is holding the next shot down with sight pic recovery and trigger resetting, and this technique adds unnecessary loss of time.

"Flip and press" is the term that Rogers Shooting School has ben using for the decades to describe their technique. Frankly, even after attending that school I am still not sure what it is. I myself use a simpler scheme.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

This is a trigger technique I use extensively in bullseye. It can assist in follow-through because you're making a psychological commitment to holding the trigger back after the break, so instead of hesitantly creeping up to the break, you smoothly move through it. Consistent trigger speed and/o linear pressure increase is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    This is a trigger technique I use extensively in bullseye. It can assist in follow-through because you're making a psychological commitment to holding the trigger back after the break, so instead of hesitantly creeping up to the break, you smoothly move through it. Consistent trigger speed and/o linear pressure increase is important.
    Thanks, yes, bullseye is kinda the context I was pondering. I should have mentioned that. I shot my first two GSSF indoor league matches in May and June. It is a 50 round course of fire, delivered statically from low ready at five ranges using 5 mags of 10. You get 15s to shoot the 10 rounds. Max score is 500. I shot 474 and 468 so far. I shoot the next match in July.

@YVK thanks that makes sense. I don't think for USPSA I'll be waiting around a whole lot after a shot, for sure, it was more for a thought experiment/question point of view.

"Pin through reset" was what I was taught in the academy back in 2011. The fastest we needed to shoot to run quals at the instructor qualification pace... 0.5-0.6 splits at the close targets, 1 second splits further than seven yards. Double those times for the cadets' qualification pace. It was a fine concept for teaching a bunch of folks with zero pistol skills how to isolate their trigger press fundamentals. It did not impose a barrier to the glacial pace of our qualification test.

It is useless as an applied shooting technique for anyone beyond a pure beginner. Get off the trigger, and let your eyeballs and the demands of the shot dictate how the next press occurs.

There's no reason to wait until your sights have settled to then work through the "tactile/audible" reset. The trigger should be resetting through the recoil cycle, so if you need to shoot again, you're good to go the second your eyes register that the front iron/red dot is back in an acceptable target area. If you need a slower, more precise shot, need to shoot at "assessment speed"... you control that on the front end by being more deliberate with the trigger press. If you have a solid grip and good recoil management, "pinning through reset" just means you'll spend an extra .15-.2 seconds pointing a functionally-inert pistol directly at your target while waiting to feel the "click."
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

There is more information on flip and press here, if you read down some posts.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/fl...hnique.473921/

YVK, I believe you are confusing pinning the trigger which Bill Rogers did as an example of follow through, with “flip and press” which is Bill’s method of coming off the trigger and working the trigger press in one complete motion. That is different than riding to reset, or staging a trigger press.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

When I started USPSA I was using “flip and press” and actually transitioning and short stepping with the trigger pulled and held all the way to the rear and then would let loose and trigger when I got to the next target.

ROs did not like that.

I don’t do that anymore.

Flip and Press

Great advice and thread topic. The only thing I can add is that skill can advance a lot when vision becomes the primary focus. We can’t ignore trigger, grip, wrist, stance, etc., but I’m not a fan of trigger-focused techniques like pinning or DA staging.

@rj, you can follow through visually. Watch the sight lift. And return.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thanks, yes, bullseye is kinda the context I was pondering. I should have mentioned that. I shot my first two GSSF indoor league matches in May and June. It is a 50 round course of fire, delivered statically from low ready at five ranges using 5 mags of 10. You get 15s to shoot the 10 rounds. Max score is 500. I shot 474 and 468 so far. I shoot the next match in July.

FWIW, I shoot GSSF indoor leagues quite often. My scores are almost always 490+ and I’ve shot several 500s.

I always reset during recoil. I also practice very deliberate 1 second splits for shooting these, using a shot timer and keeping an eye on the splits. In a match it can be difficult not trying to speed up at the 5-7-10 yard strings, but I try to maintain that rhythm during these entire matches. I judge my speed during the match based on time left after my last shot until the stop beep. Trying to make it a 1 hole target at the shorter distances helps. The 1 second splits give me a margin of error to keep me from going over the 15 second par time allowed on the course of fire.

If you end up with the original course of fire that has a 30 second par time at the 25 yards. Shoot 5 shots. Relax a few seconds and then finish up the last 5.

Keep at it. It is an excellent competition to judge your progress with.

The only time I catch myself pinning the trigger during recoil is on far longer distance shots.

Good luck!!

Glock?

Burn a hole in the front sight and smash through all of it.

Release all the way, to even hit the front of the trigger guard with your finger and repeat.

User Tag List