Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secondary Attacks on Crime Scenes

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I think there were three of us trying to use one 8" diameter metal pole for cover on that one.
    Yep, been there..

We were working with the local DEA office trying to develop leads on a drug related murder years ago. During a jump out on some street corner entrepreneurs we rounded up a few, several ran off into the dark. I remember the tough guys the RAC and I were watching while the younger cops were off chasing on foot. Our of clutch bad guys weren’t particularly impressed with my MP-5 or the agent’s 9mm Colt SMG or our verbal commands, then someone let off a dozen or so 9mm in the darkness several blocks away and our charges were trying to crawl under our government rides.

I guess the “to whom it may concern” bullet is the great equalizer.

Site Supporter
    Looks like my town is getting wild post COVID …

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...-on-west-side/

SAPD: Man who opened fire at KSAT journalists fatally shot by officers
    Man barricaded himself after shooting at reporters, family

SAN ANTONIO – A man accused of shooting at his family and KSAT journalists was fatally shot by San Antonio police Monday after a standoff that lasted several hours.
    Two KSAT journalists reporting at the scene of a house fire said the man, believed to be in his 20s, was digging through rubble with a large stick when they arrived. The man is believed to be part of the family who lives at the burned home, located in the 200 block of Noria Street.
    KSAT reporter Dillon Collier and photographer Joshua Saunders were interviewing other members of the family near the house.
    About 20 minutes after KSAT crews arrived on the scene, the man who had been digging through rubble emerged from the home with two handguns and began to shoot at Collier, Saunders and the family members. He fired several bullets at the journalists, who ran on foot, and the family, who took off in an SUV.
    The man then took off on a bicycle and made his way into a home down the street, where he barricaded himself inside another home.

There were a number of people in that house,” San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said Monday following the standoff. “Apparently he know some folks who were in there. Those individuals, we were able to get them out.”
    At one point, the suspect left the home and entered an air conditioned shed in the backyard, McManus said.
    “The officers decided to try and lock him out of the house at that point,” McManus said.
    The suspect allegedly saw the officers through the screen door of the house and shot at them. Five officers returned fire, killing the shooter, McManus said.
    McManus said the suspect was in “close range” of the officers when gunfire was exchanged.

Arson investigators were involved at the scene because it was suspected someone fired bullets inside the home around the time it caught fire. Bullet casings could be seen in the area.

Before the shooting, a family member told KSAT that the home had been in the family for several generations.
    The fire was called in around 1:30 a.m. Monday in the 200 block of Noria Street, not far from Brady Boulevard and Frio City Road on the West Side.
    Firefighters said when they arrived, they found heavy flames showing the front of the house. Firefighters also had to deal with heavy smoke inside the home, fire officials said. The fire was put out quickly and without incident. Nobody was home at the time of the fire, firefighters said. Damage to the home is estimated at $60,000.
    Neighbors questioned why police hadn’t arrested the man after the suspected arson occurred. McManus explained that police did not have a warrant and “no probable cause to make an arrest at that time.”
    Last edited by HCM; 07-05-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Extremely uncommon, but not never. I can think of at least one incident off the top of my head in my career. That one, the handcuffed suspect got shot. I don't know if they ever determined if the suspect was the actual target or the officers flanking him.
    You should write a children’s book, The Handcuffed Suspect and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Totally not my lane but interesting in a very bad way. Are you discussing situations where the original incident was staged as bait to set up police for attack? If so scary and despicable, but at least possible to understand albeit seems unlikely to end well for the people involved.

Or are these secondary attacks that were not planned, and people just decided ad-hoc to go after police that were there for another reason? If so even more scary and very difficult (for me) to understand - why would they do this, either spontaneously or even if provoked? Were they just carrying weapons anyway?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Or are these secondary attacks that were not planned, and people just decided ad-hoc to go after police that were there for another reason? If so even more scary and very difficult (for me) to understand - why would they do this, either spontaneously or even if provoked? Were they just carrying weapons anyway?
    That one’s easy,

A. shooting at cops gets you street cred and increases your social status, especially if somebody is there to see it.

B. Some people hate cops, carry guns all the time because violence is a part of their day to day life and as Ice Cube said in Menace to Society “they don’t give a fuck”.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Metro Nashville PD— gunman enters crime scene and opens fire on officers:

Site Supporter
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-d...t-near-orlando

Florida news crew shot while covering shooting near Orlando, 2 dead, including 9-year-old: police
    Florida deputies say that a woman was found dead in the same neighborhood earlier on Wednesday

Sheriff's deputies in Florida say four people were shot and two were killed on Wednesday afternoon in the same area where a woman was found dead earlier on the same day.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said that one person was detained after the afternoon shooting, according to FOX 35.

Sheriff John Mina said that officers responded to reports of a shooting in the same area at 4:05 p.m, and added that a reporter and photographer with Spectrum News 13 in Orlando, Florida were shot. Mina added that one of the News 13 employees was killed.

After shooting at the News 13 car, the 19-year-old suspect allegedly went to a nearby house and shot a mother and her 9-year-old daughter, Mina said, adding that the 9-year-old had died.

Mina said that Keith Melvin Moses, 19, is in custody and is accused of being responsible for both shootings on Wednesday, which resulted in two deaths and three injuries.

The sheriff said that Moses has a "lengthy criminal history" ranging from gun charges, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, and grand theft.

He added that Moses was an acquaintance of the woman killed this morning, but has no known connections to the mother, 9-year-old, or journalists who were shot.

Mina said that it's unclear why the journalists were targeted.

Deputies initially responded to a shooting at 11 a.m. in the Pine Hills neighborhood near Orlando, Florida, where a woman in her 20s was shot and killed, according to officials.

A spokesperson for Spectrum News told Fox News Digital that the company is mourning the loss of a colleague.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our colleague and the other lives senselessly taken today. Our thoughts are with our employee’s family, friends and co-workers during this very difficult time. We remain hopeful that our other colleague who was injured makes a full recovery," the spokesperson said. "This is a terrible tragedy for the Orlando community."

User Tag List