Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary Attacks on Crime Scenes

Site Supporter

Secondary Attacks on Crime Scenes

How common are secondary attacks on crime scenes in your area ?

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...officials-say/

Shots fired toward police, medical examiner during murder investigation, officials say
    No one was injured and the suspect is unknown, according to SAPD

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio police, detectives, a CSI civilian and the medical examiner all had to take cover after shots were fired in their direction while investigating a murder on the South Side overnight.
    The incident happened around 2:43 a.m., Sunday, near the 2000 block of E. Southcross Boulevard.
    Police said shots were fired in their direction as they were working a murder investigation after a man was found fatally shot, lying in the roadway. Officers said they could hear shots “zip above their heads,” and heard one round strike the road near them.

All of the officials on scene took cover behind their vehicles, according to police.
    Additional officers were called to the area to help get officials out of the line of fire, get in contact with residents to ensure their safety, and set up a perimeter around the block.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Extremely uncommon, but not never. I can think of at least one incident off the top of my head in my career. That one, the handcuffed suspect got shot. I don't know if they ever determined if the suspect was the actual target or the officers flanking him.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Fortunately, I don't think that has happened at all here. However, in some neighborhoods, it's not uncommon for LE to be out on a call and hear a shooting go down nearby.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I had it happen a couple of times back in the day when I worked Patrol, at the terminus of pursuits in the projects.

Nothing like the sound of a "Welcome to the neighborhood!" AK/SKS being lit off nearby. After one pursuit, one of the involved agencies lightbar was shot off about 50 feet from where we were standing...I think there were three of us trying to use one 8" diameter metal pole for cover on that one.

Not around here. At least not yet. Ambushes, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How common are secondary attacks on crime scenes in your area ?

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...officials-say/

Shots fired toward police, medical examiner during murder investigation, officials say
    No one was injured and the suspect is unknown, according to SAPD

I can’t think of one at my agency but it was always a concern. When I was working gangs it was trained pretty heavily due to secondary drive-byes occurring in LA at the time. When I was on SWAT and K9 it was SOP for Gangs to ask for a couple SWAT guys to remain on scene for security after a warrant service.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    We have had a few that I can recall, one in particular resulted in a very close call for a couple detectives sitting in their car reviewing notes. I believe the B pillar took one or two. Still very uncommon when you consider how many scenes we work.
    Polite Professional

While I was with my old agency, we had two officers murdered while on scenes by persons unrelated or not present during the initial stops.

In 1995, Officer Konopasek was killed while conducting a vehicle search where the driver had already been secured. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...an-2833172.php

In 1999, Officer Williams was killed while conducting an evidence search along the side of the freeway trying to locate a ditched firearm. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...in-2644485.php

Not common until it is.

Site Supporter
    I predicted over fifteen years ago that one day soon, the M4 would be the standard weapon for the Police and the pistol as the secondary. I think that we are well on our way to fulfilling that prediction. I predicted around five years ago that we would have to assign additional cars to protect those investigating crime scenes. I think we will be seeing that sooner than later. I remember when we had cars that were given jobs in the projects ( some where 19 story tall buildings ), that we had to assign cars to guard the cars of those who were working jobs inside those buildings and to protect/warn them of objects thrown at them from the upper floors as they exited those buildings. Sad times we are now in. And I think it's going to get worse , a lot worse before it get's better if it ever does.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I predicted over fifteen years ago that one day soon, the M4 would be the standard weapon for the Police and the pistol as the secondary. I think that we are well on our way to fulfilling that prediction. I predicted around five years ago that we would have to assign additional cars to protect those investigating crime scenes. I think we will be seeing that sooner than later. I remember when we had cars that were given jobs in the projects ( some where 19 story tall buildings ), that we had to assign cars to guard the cars of those who were working jobs inside those buildings and to protect/warn them of objects thrown at them from the upper floors as they exited those buildings. Sad times we are now in. And I think it's going to get worse , a lot worse before it get's better if it ever does.
    Excluding your M4/pistol thoughts your observations sound VERY sim. to what Pat spoke of during his NYPD days, damn I miss him.

User Tag List