Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rucking

I started rucking 3 years ago. Start light - I remember carrying 10lb weight would take a lot out of me. At one point I was doing 50 lbs over approximately 7 miles (1hour, 45mins total) with a few breaks in between.
    However, I "acquired" a few issues to include early arthritis and potential meniscus issue in my knees. As a result, I started "rucking" with a lightweight pack carrying no more than 5-10 lbs.
    When it comes to packs, I tried Mystery Ranch NICE framed pack. I find that to be overkill and the waist belt too stiff. My go to pack (the one that I also used for 50lb) became Camelbak TriZip.
    If using plates in backpacks, having a pocket that can fit a weight plate is highly recommended.
    When carrying anything over 15 lbs, I recommend a waist belt.
    I also read that others people use water bladders for weight. After a certain point in the hike, empty it, changing the load.
    For weights, I went with Titan Fitness - they were cheaper than Goruck.

Pay attention to right boots, socks, pack fit, and load alignment to help prevent injury.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

At my work, we have a team that responds to natural disaster areas (originally developed post Hurricane Katrina).

We have been doing a 1.5 mile run/push up/sit up test twice a year. HQ wants to modify that standard to a ruck run. 3 miles, 40lbs, 45 min.

I can probably do it now. I ran it before Christmas in 38, although I have slacked off in training since then.

Most of the guys in the team are “seasoned and mature”. I am 50 yrs old, and this is a young mans game. But I want to hand with it as long as I can without blowing out my back.

Currently using a 5.11 Rush 72 hour bag with a metal barbell plate wrapped in a towel. I bought a 50lb bag of sand at Home Depot, I just need to break it down to a couple of smaller gallon zip lock bags and duct tape them up.

Looking forward to tips in this thread.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Any pack worth load bearing with needs load lifters on the frame higher than your shoulders so the weight is borne on the hips. Also needs to fit right at the waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    At my work, we have a team that responds to natural disaster areas (originally developed post Hurricane Katrina).

We have been doing a 1.5 mile run/push up/sit up test twice a year. HQ wants to modify that standard to a ruck run. 3 miles, 40lbs, 45 min.

I can probably do it now. I ran it before Christmas in 38, although I have slacked off in training since then.

Most of the guys in the team are “seasoned and mature”. I am 50 yrs old, and this is a young mans game. But I want to hand with it as long as I can without blowing out my back.

Currently using a 5.11 Rush 72 hour bag with a metal barbell plate wrapped in a towel. I bought a 50lb bag of sand at Home Depot, I just need to break it down to a couple of smaller gallon zip lock bags and duct tape them up.

Looking forward to tips in this thread.
    I’ve never used the 72, I think I remember seeing it has a waist belt but don’t remember a real frame. I try to avoid having anything about 25lbs in a bag without an external frame and regardless of weight, I make sure it doesn’t move much.

I’m far from an expert but when forced to run with a ruck, I think one of the biggest things is to ensure you don’t over stride - it’s a very common thing people do when they sprint and the further that foot is landing in front of your body, the more of a blow your joints are taking. Short steps to keep your legs under your hips will help preserve your joints from what I’ve learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The "pack test." Someone at HQ is/was/knows a wildland firefighter: https://www.fs.usda.gov/sites/defaul...ure_2002_0.pdf

Not a bad benchmark for some functional fitness.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Hi,I'm interested in Rucking for some cardio.I've been walking for one hour four days a week(opposite of weight lifting days)at a fairly fast pace and I'm enjoying it.I'd like to add resistance.Any suggestions on a pack,weight,shoes,training plan,etc?I know of GORUCK.Thank you all again for any help.
    I ruck about 25 miles a week on average. I try to maintain about a 15min/mile pace, but due to the heat over the summer, I'm lucky to keep under 16. Here is my current gear;

Ruck: Goruck 25L 3.0 w/ 45# plate + 3L Source water bladder + misc gear. So about 55lbs all in. I never use the hip belt unless I'm doing PT with the ruck on.
    Shoes: Goruck I/O Trainers. I really like Altra, but the Lone Peaks wear out too fast with the miles I was putting on them. I got ~300 miles per pair, 3 pairs, before the tread was gone and what little cushion they had was worn out.

I have no clue what your fitness level is. I would recommend starting at 20# or so, and work your way up to 5 miles as fast as you can without running. Running with a ruck is guaranteed way to hurt yourself. Stick to a fast walk. Concentrate on working your pace down to the 15min/mile mark. Once you hit your pace goal, increase weight incrementally, work the pace down, increase distance, then increase weight, repeat. Do everything incrementally. Don't simultaneously add weight & distance, work those goals separately. You'll have to build your shoulders up to hump the weight, as you will every body part from your feet up.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Background: I've been rucking a lot since 2016. It's been a major component of my training regimen. In 2018 I completed a Goruck Star Course 50 miler in NYC. 20 hours to locate ~16 checkpoints, navigate to them, and get back to the start point. 50 miles if you route plan efficiently, more if you don't.

I mix rucking and running. If you get deep into endurance training there are a lot of advocates for training in specific HR zones. In my experience rucking is a great way to train in those low HR zones that build cardio endurance and efficiency.

Shoes are a personal thing. I've had good luck with Altras. For socks I try to only use Injinji. Both the socks and shoes/boots don't last forever but they cause less wear and tear on my feet. I completed the 50 miler in Altra Lone Peak 4 Mids with Injinji nu wool socks. It rained, my feet were soaked, but I had no blisters.

For training I typically just use a Goruck GR1 with 35-50 lbs. Low weight for long or fast efforts, heavier for short stints. I don't go over 10-12 miles with the GR1. For longer distances and heavier weights I'll use a HPG Aston BC with recon belt.
    Nice. I'm doing my first 50mi Star in Dallas this year.

Then there's the Kettlebell Mile.

Grab a kettlebell of appropriate weight, set the treadmill at the elevation and speed settings the day demands, and have at it. As adaptation occurs, treadmill settings can be adjusted to accommodate. As a sidebar, if you hold the KB with a hook grip (handle resting on the fingers rather than the palm), there's a benefit to the grip as well.

I do this 4 - 5 times a week, using a 16 kilo (35 lb) KB in a suitcase carry, switching hands every two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Nice. I'm doing my first 50mi Star in Dallas this year.
    Congrats! It's a cool event. It really is a team effort and you can't fake your way through it. Sounds like you're doing the training and will be ready.

No matter what shape you're in it'll be hard. Mental toughness is definitely critical, but you can't just will yourself to ruck 50 miles if you haven't done the training. That's what I think sets this type of event apart from other weekend warrior activities: you have to do the work in training otherwise you won't finish. It's more about the discipline and training in the 6 months before the ruck than what you do during the ruck.

User Tag List