Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rucking

Site Supporter
    Re the shoes/socks combo-This is critical.

I remain convinced that one of the best things COSCTO has ever sold are their 4pk/6pk 80% Made in the USA Merino wool "hiking" socks (Kirkland). Less than 5.00 per pair. Simply dynamite stuff and a near exclusive sock used on our Philmont trek. No blisters or hotspots by anybody using them. They can pile a bit if you do not wash them inside out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37344195285...kAAOSw-iFgEeJz

Re rucking and shoes and athletic shoes in particular. They are a consumable. Treat them as such and move on. If you like a shoe/boot model, buy two and alternate pairs and wears to extend life. 300 miles shoe life when rucking 50+ lbs does not strike me unreasonable at all when I have heard that 500 miles is the max on a pair of running shoes. You got one set of feet, never cheap out on shoes and socks when it counts.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve never used the 72, I think I remember seeing it has a waist belt but don’t remember a real frame. I try to avoid having anything about 25lbs in a bag without an external frame and regardless of weight, I make sure it doesn’t move much.

I’m far from an expert but when forced to run with a ruck, I think one of the biggest things is to ensure you don’t over stride - it’s a very common thing people do when they sprint and the further that foot is landing in front of your body, the more of a blow your joints are taking. Short steps to keep your legs under your hips will help preserve your joints from what I’ve learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The RUSh 72 is not my favorite pack… it is just what I was issued. It is a good day pack, not a good running pack. There is no internal or external frame. It does have a belt, but it’s not great. I have an Alice and Molle pack, but have not tried them on a run.

Pics of Rush 72

Name:  B0FD5DD7-5782-4B18-9097-53115A1E6FA6.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  671D9602-ABB0-4C3E-A1C2-BF5602F5AC21.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  41.0 KB
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

This thread randomly popped up, we all typed a little, and I thought I would ruck one day a week or so just to help keep my core in some type of shape. Now, some guys from my work have decided to sign up for the Battan Death March Memorial Ruck, 2022.

https://bataanmarch.com/

So it looks like my dumb ass has agreed to go 26.2 miles with a 35lb ruck, in the White Sands Missile Range, this coming March 2022.

I will more than likely have a heart attack during my training, so that may be the easy way out. We shall see.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I haven't done much rucking lately, but after reading this thread I decided I needed to throw the pack on and get moving. I switched out my 30 pound plate that was in the bag and put in the 20 pounder. I did a slowish 5K in barefoot shoes. I had a good time.

Thank you all again.I asked one of the guys at work,a retired SF SGT,he said medium ALICE pack no question.He's also going to ask his son who works as a trainer for an unnamed Govt. agency what he and the other cadre members are using,I'll post his response.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Thank you all again.I asked one of the guys at work,a retired SF SGT,he said medium ALICE pack no question.He's also going to ask his son who works as a trainer for an unnamed Govt. agency what he and the other cadre members are using,I'll post his response.
    I don't know if medium ALICE is the optimal solution, but it works exceedingly well. It's worth taking a look into the Hellcat mods if you head that direction.

https://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.co...k-from-us.html
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

I love it. It's a form of cardio I can do easily and enjoy the piss outta it. I'll ruck 30-45# and I'll use a GR1 or a Tad Fastpack. I do not use a waistbelt. For some reason I like rucking without one. I'll backpack with UL gear under 20# and use the belt though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    I hate the ALICE pack and after seeing so many guys that have used it for years walking all fucked up, never understood why anyone liked it. You have to modify the frame to not have bare metal on your body and the pack itself is small and has a sub-par design by modern standards. Any decent commercial pack for decades has extended vertically instead of out horizontally and shoulder straps have come a long way. The design is relatively unchanged since Vietnam, to me its not that different from saying people would take an M16A1 all day.

This white paper by Jason McCarthy (founder of Goruck) has some good starter info;

The Rucking White Paper

I have 2 different Osprey packs that I use. One is a Talon 33 and the other is a Manta 24. The Manta has a light wire frame and I use it when I want to be light and fast. I use rice as my main weight. I have the rice broke down into stuff sacks and have 3 at 10lbs and 2 at 5. I tried using a Go ruck plate and it was, well, like carrying a big metal plate. I do have some 2.5 and 5 pound plates that I use to up my weight when I need to. I alternate foot wear between Salomon XA Pros, Aslo Fugitive and my Hokas mostly based on type of terrain and weather. Wool blend socks are all I have now. I was gonna do Bataan 2020 but we all know how that went. I am looking forward to being able to go next year.

User Tag List