Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rucking

Rucking

Hi,I'm interested in Rucking for some cardio.I've been walking for one hour four days a week(opposite of weight lifting days)at a fairly fast pace and I'm enjoying it.I'd like to add resistance.Any suggestions on a pack,weight,shoes,training plan,etc?I know of GORUCK.Thank you all again for any help.

I use a Hill People Gear Umilindi pack with their Recon Belt. I bought the GoRuck Ruck plates in 20 and 30 pound weights to put inside of it.

Site Supporter
    Some of my long tabber friends insist that rucking (35# minimum, 15 min/mile) is their favorite cardio exercise. To the point that prepping for thier annual fitness test they ruck rather than run, and improve thier run scores. Rucking is cardio, legs and core. I enjoy it. I hunt in places where I have to move on foot into limited acess areas (and almost anything is limited access, since the only vehicle I have is a minivan).

I have Hill People Gear, and love it. I have Kifaru gear, and so far, now, find it a little on the heavy side, so perfect for rucking. Although one of my rucking packs is a Medium Alice Pack with frame, and a 45# weight plate from a second hand fitness store.

One of my turkey hunting spots requires 1.25 miles on foot, and I have to carry my water, so 80 pounds for a 3-5 day hunt...

pat

I use the Umlindi/Recon belt also. I have the four bricks wrapped in duct tape atop a yoga block, plus a couple iron weight plates. I’m currently doing an hour once a week with 40lbs. (I also do an hour on a rower weekly, plus an hour walk unweighted weekly). I think I started about 20 pounds and worked up from there.

I use an old REI day pack with a bag of softener salt.

Another’s option is “heavy hands” walking, put a 3 lb weight in each hand, the higher you pump your arms the faster your heart rate.

Rucking is good cardio and a good total-body workout. It’s also a great way to destroy your knees and ankles. Start off with no more than 20 pounds and give it a month before you add more. Recovering from shin splints, stress fractures, and soft-tissue damage is slow and painful.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Rucking is good cardio and a good total-body workout. It’s also a great way to destroy your knees and ankles. Start off with no more than 20 pounds and give it a month before you add more. Recovering from shin splints, stress fractures, and soft-tissue damage is slow and painful.

Okie John
    Especially true as one ages…..

Given the state of my joints, I’m a big believer in using poles for hiking. Uphill you can get a full-body workout. Downhill they can take some of the load off your joints and enhance stability.

To be effective, you need to use the strap like you would for a cross-country ski pole. That way you get full support without having to grip the pole tightly, and it greatly enhances the useful range of motion.
    Last edited by peterb; 06-27-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Circa fall to summer of 2014

Training for an announced 78 mile hiking program (Trek 16/10 days in the field) at Philmont Scout Ranch In New Mexico.

20 lbs for the first 3 or 4 weeks gradually moved up 35 lbs. Pace was 5.0 miles in 1 hr/15 min. 3 days a week with a longer ruck on a weekend day. A bit of hill only work to the extent you can do that on a treadmill and outside in the KC metro area.

I did a few 40-45 lbs 5- 9 mile hikes to know that I could do it

I used a standard Deuter Hiking Pack.

As per the great advice of GJM. I did just a few full weight hikes but otherwise stayed in the 25-30 range. I did no hikes greater than 25 lbs the last two weeks to avoid any pre trip injuries.
    The pack weighed 5 ish pounds, an old sleeping bag weighed 4 lbs. The rest of my weight was in a series of 2 liter soda bottles/gallon juice/water jugs. GJM keenly noted that should I become thirsty beyond my two 1 liters bottles outside of the pack, and/or too tired, I could alway dump the weight, one way or the other.

Virtually any decent hiking backpack is going to have a hip belt that is going to displace weight on the hip better that any Goruck type back. I happened to use a Deuter Pack (Air Contact 65+10) because I was able to buy at cost + 10% from an old Scout at REI.

Knowing everything I know now, my default recommendation for midweight/standard weight type packs is Osprey all day long given their no BS lifetime warranty.

I fully concur re using trekking poles particularly on the downward for safety. Virtually everybody on my trek would have had a fall but for them over the last day descending 2500+ feet over 6 + miles after a rainstorm.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Most significant injuries come from running with a ruck which should be pretty unnecessary for most people. I prefer the MOLLE ruck to the ALICE pack but Mystery Ranch is my favorite if you want to spend some money. I prefer sand bags for the weight.

Background: I've been rucking a lot since 2016. It's been a major component of my training regimen. In 2018 I completed a Goruck Star Course 50 miler in NYC. 20 hours to locate ~16 checkpoints, navigate to them, and get back to the start point. 50 miles if you route plan efficiently, more if you don't.

I mix rucking and running. If you get deep into endurance training there are a lot of advocates for training in specific HR zones. In my experience rucking is a great way to train in those low HR zones that build cardio endurance and efficiency.

Shoes are a personal thing. I've had good luck with Altras. For socks I try to only use Injinji. Both the socks and shoes/boots don't last forever but they cause less wear and tear on my feet. I completed the 50 miler in Altra Lone Peak 4 Mids with Injinji nu wool socks. It rained, my feet were soaked, but I had no blisters.

For training I typically just use a Goruck GR1 with 35-50 lbs. Low weight for long or fast efforts, heavier for short stints. I don't go over 10-12 miles with the GR1. For longer distances and heavier weights I'll use a HPG Aston BC with recon belt.

User Tag List