Thread: Why Cops Are Quitting In Droves

Why Cops Are Quitting In Droves

I'm 30 to 40 minutes away from Asheville and avoid it like the plague for the most part, but in this sense they, (meaning the cops), got it right.
    Reap what you sow, Asheville.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I hit a paywall, but need the NY Times to clue me in to why LE are quitting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I hit a paywall, but need the NY Times to clue me in to why LE are quitting.
    I've got a subscription and have read the article. Remember, the NYT doesn't write for us but for their main readership, which is mostly urban, affluent, and politically liberal. For many of them, cops are just part of the furniture - they see them but don't know them. Almost everything they've read about police in the last year has been about how they're all racists who love to shoot black folks for fun.

The article is about how Asheville is having a hard time keeping cops. Part of it is pay - Asheville police don't earn enough to afford to buy a house in the area. Part of it is the ongoing demonization of police...they spoke with a lesbian cop who was originally welcomed in the local gay community but is now shunned by her former friends because she was a cop. She quit because of it. And then there's the perennial situation where their political leadership throws them under the bus at every opportunity, which isn't exclusive to Asheville. The article at least takes a stab at portraying Asheville cops as individuals with goals and aspirations who want to be the good guys but are often portrayed as the bad guys.

Is it NC where all the NY and FL retirees are moving?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Its certainly one of the places.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Is it NC where all the NY and FL retirees are moving?
    Thankfully there is no shortage of homegrown knuckleheads around the nation...so they can fit right in. At least some of 'em. Don't ask me how I know.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List