Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I just need (prefer?) a "Bigger/Heavier" Gun?

Buy a nice 1911 and report back.

Then apologize to your wife for spending more money.

Yeah, wait til you shoot a 1911.............................................. .

Site Supporter
    Could caliber have something to do with it? Maybe you shoot .40 better than 9mm?

As a for instance...

I feel, all things being equal, I just shoot .45 better than 9mm ("better" meaning POA = POI on paper). Rounds just seem to go where I'm aiming, easier, with .45. Maybe it's the difference in the recoil impulse? Or maybe it's in my head... But, like you, I'm "all over the target" with a 9mm Glock or anything with a similar trigger. The exception being a Glock 30 (.45) which, for whatever reason, shot really well for me.

Also...

I've never actually owned a .40 (unless you count 10mm). Maybe I should try one at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Were you gripping tighter due to more recoil of the .40?
    This may be the key right here.

There is nothing big or heavy about a Glock 23.

A 40 S&W Glock is a snappy gun which tends to force folks to grip it more tightly.

That tight grip equates to better recoil management and more concentration on the part of the shooter.

Does that mean a 40 S&W handgun performs (or forces a shooter to perform) better than its 9mm equivalent? Not at all.

I will say though that if you're a Glock 17 shooter, spend an hour or so with a Glock 22 and then immediately going back to the Glock 17, you will feel like you're miraculously a better Glock 17 shooter.

Site Supporter
    Used to be, a .40 S&W was considered an inherently less-accurate cartridge than 9mm and .45 ACP. I always thought that was likely because they still needed to tweak the balance of things with the cartridge and guns, and I think that’s proven to be the case. One of the more accurate centerfire pistols I’ve shot is an STI .40. Simply shoots like a laser.

.22LR handguns can be among the most accurate available, and it isn’t because they kick harder. In fact, most people shoot them better than harder kicking guns because they don’t have to work as much to keep hold of the gun when it recoils.

Averages of scores over time for non-dedicated shooters indicates that most people shoot better more consistently with a 9mm vs a .40 or .45, when comparing similar or otherwise identical guns. Even dedicated shooters may experience the same. Shooting one magazine of ammunition through one gun on one day isn’t really a good indicator of what you’ll do over time. Getting some good instruction and then shooting a bunch of drills through a G19 & 23, or 17 & 22, recording the data, and comparing the results, is much more likely to give you useful information.

9mm typically costs less per round than other centerfire service pistol cartridges, but has comparable terminal effect. For that one reason, to save money, I decided long ago to concentrate most of my centerfire shooting on 9mm. I have not seen a reason to change.

Gotta get a grip

Years ago I bought a Sig P245, a smaller version of the P220......six round magazine I believe. It squirmed around in my hand so much that I had to reposition my hand on the grip to acquire a firm purchase. I sold it because of the grip issue. Smaller pistols may be appealing, but not too functional in the "hold onto the grip" department.

I really like my recently purchased Glock 26 gen 5. I ordered a couple of 12 round factory magazines to see how they did. That extension on the magazine gave just enough length for my pinky to find a home. I added the smaller beavertail grip panel to the frame and now I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    Have you tried shooting the G26 with the standard 10 round mag with your pinky curled under? It probably feels weird at first, but that goes away quickly. My first time trying one was a friend's with various grip extenders. I couldn't shoot it worth a crap. Besides, I didn't see the point since it was the same size as a G19, and my pinky was getting pinched by the gap. I revisited the 26 again after reading that some people oddly find them more accurate than their 17s and 19s, and I found that to be the case for me.
    Seconded! I wasn't a fan of my first couple-three G26's (with a +2 or other extension some 95% of the time) and I have absolutely zero regrets about trading in my G27. My 26.5 with OEM 10rd mags, OTOH, is the bee's knees. We've discussed flat mags vs extensions quite a bit at the Glock 26 Gen 5 thread.

Fwiw, I had a similar experience shooting a borrowed CZ P07. I'd read a bunch about them here and noticed a guy running one as my buddy and I were packing up for the day. I struck up a conversation and as shooters often do, he offered to let me run a few rounds through it. We were still at the plate rack (where I'd done several runs with my then edc G19.4) so I made ready and straight blazed the plates 6 for 6. I hadn't flipped on the timer, but damn it felt fast. I look to my buddy and he's nodding as he says, "Fastest run of the day, no doubt about it." I reset the plates and smacked them down again. What a marvelous pistol! I must have one!

So I bought a P07 asap. After two more range sessions wherein I most certainly did not surpass my normal Glock level of performance, I turned fairly tepid about the platform (for me) and sold it to a buddy that already owned a couple of P09's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Could caliber have something to do with it? Maybe you shoot .40 better than 9mm?

As a for instance...

I feel, all things being equal, I just shoot .45 better than 9mm ("better" meaning POA = POI on paper). Rounds just seem to go where I'm aiming, easier, with .45. Maybe it's the difference in the recoil impulse? Or maybe it's in my head... But, like you, I'm "all over the target" with a 9mm Glock or anything with a similar trigger. The exception being a Glock 30 (.45) which, for whatever reason, shot really well for me.

Also...

I've never actually owned a .40 (unless you count 10mm). Maybe I should try one at some point.
    Same here. When I qualified this year I discovered that I shoot my 220 better than my 226. I don't know why. I had an action and trigger job by Sig Armorer done on the 226 so I just assumed that I would shoot that one better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Same here. When I qualified this year I discovered that I shoot my 220 better than my 226. I don't know why. I had an action and trigger job by Sig Armorer done on the 226 so I just assumed that I would shoot that one better.
    A P220 is like a magic bullet wand for me. Same with the P245, actually--I have small hands, so the grip isn't an issue.

I dont really think the weight had much to do with it. The size of a handgun does often times make a difference. Small pistols sometimes move around in your hand while firing and/or its just a little more difficult to get a good grip on them. The one small pistol I have found that shoots like a larger gun for me is the M&P Shield. Maybe give it a try?

User Tag List