Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yesterday I got the one that got away

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Does anyone know if Ruger ever made a half lug 6” GP100?

I’ve got two things on my mind for down the road:

1: a 3” fixed sight GP100, stainless. This is assuming that the fixed sights on this one work for when the shooting happens. Right now they look awesome compared to the fixed K-Frame sights I’m used to, but timers and paper don’t lie. A run or two at the HiTS Revolver Super Test will settle a lot.

2: a 6” GP100. I’d take a full lug model, but if I could locate a half lug, that would be more sexy in my opinion.

Thus the question, was there ever a half lug with a 6” tube?
    I've got one I bought used back in the early Nineties, it's seen a lot of rounds go downrange.

I’m a fan of the non-finger-grooved Hogue. I don’t like it more than the Compact Lett though. Different grips for different purposes. I’m not a fan of anything but rubber on the GP. Loses the main benefit of that grip stud arrangement. I like my hand being insulated from anything hard and unforgiving while shooting hot magnum loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Only individuals with the finest and most refined taste own half-lug 4" GP100s:

http://instagram.com/p/CEO8kEVJqzr/
    Name:  91FF3DE7-DF9E-4977-AA71-620B7C9F6B62.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  68.9 KB
    Agreed.
    This one is an ex-security company .38 GP I bought from a now closed LGS just west of Manassas, VA in the early teens.
    There were about ten of them in the case.
    Should have bought at least one more.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Any idea of the model number for this variant? Not that I would start looking or anything…
    Per the Ruger collector/guru I messaged, you’re looking for a GPF-340: GP (model,) F, (fixed,) 3 (357) 40 (4" half lug) aka Model 1712.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thus the question, was there ever a half lug with a 6” tube?
    Question has been answered a few times, so I'm just adding my opinion. I think the half lug 6-inch guns look a little like the slack-jawed yokel characters on The Simpsons. Four inch half-lugs are better, but the Lipsey's 5-inch is, IMO, the best looking GP ever made. Nonetheless, I recently sent mine down the road for most excellent reasons.

I might, however, one day still make a slim-lug GP. I could probably be talked into it as a .327 Federal launcher. The inside-radius cutter I bought for the mill is just sitting in the drawer, not doing anything, and a heavy, 6-inch gun would be a pretty good .327 launcher.

Name:  GP100 6 in slim lug V2.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  22.8 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Question has been answered a few times, so I'm just adding my opinion. I think the half lug 6-inch guns look a little like the slack-jawed yokel characters on The Simpsons. Four inch half-lugs are better, but the Lipsey's 5-inch is, IMO, the best looking GP ever made. Nonetheless, I recently sent mine down the road for most excellent reasons.

I might, however, one day still make a slim-lug GP. I could probably be talked into it as a .327 Federal launcher. The inside-radius cutter I bought for the mill is just sitting in the drawer, not doing anything, and a heavy, 6-inch gun would be a pretty good .327 launcher.

Name:  GP100 6 in slim lug V2.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  22.8 KB
    Aesthetically, I do agree with you that the 4” half lug guns are more visually appealing. My interest is a 6” gun is for the extra sight radius while cutting down on the “nose heavy” sensation that a full lug 6” gun tends to give.

Aesthetically, I do agree with you that the 4” half lug guns are more visually appealing. My interest is a 6” gun is for the extra sight radius while cutting down on the “nose heavy” sensation that a full lug 6” gun tends to give.
    To me, the 6" half lug has about the same balance as the 5" full lug. YMMV.

I remember holding a similar gun in a pawn shop 25 years ago. I remember it having the compact grips and it fitting like a glove. The gun was one of the best feeling revolvers and incredibly balanced.

I have a 6" inch 1/3 lug Security Six I picked up a couple of years ago for $300. The only thing I have shot out of it is Cowboy fastdraw wax bullets. I shoot my 3 or 4 inch guns a lot more.

Name:  PXL_20210827_002740694.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  7D9F6199-D2C8-499D-AC0A-33CAD2E0FD95.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  30.0 KB

HiTS Revolver Super Test I shot with it on my first outing with it. That one in the 8 rings was a real bummer.

User Tag List