Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arvada Shooting Mess

Site Supporter

Arvada Shooting Mess

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/2...lice-shooting/

If you have to intervene in a situation, it's a very, very bad idea to have a gun in hand when the police show up. It's an even worse thing to have a long gun in hand when the police arrive at an active shooter situation.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Yeah, when I read the line "holding the attacker's AR" in the shootings in the news thread regarding this, I was like "why would you pick it up?" Holster your pistol and stand back once you've determined that the threat is over, right? I mean, I could see kicking a weapon away from the bad guy, but why would you even consider getting your fingerprints on it?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah, when I read the line "holding the attacker's AR" in the shootings in the news thread regarding this, I was like "why would you pick it up?" Holster your pistol and stand back once you've determined that the threat is over, right? I mean, I could see kicking a weapon away from the bad guy, but why would you even consider getting your fingerprints on it?
    I could see pulling the mag and clearing a long gun in that situation. But I wouldn't hang onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I could see pulling the mag and clearing a long gun in that situation. But I wouldn't hang onto it.
    The security guy in Seattle that disarmed the rioters pulled the BGCs, but then broke it down to two pieces.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The security guy in Seattle that disarmed the rioters pulled the BGCs, but then broke it down to two pieces.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Wow- sounds like he’d either been in a similar situation previously, or at least had a plan for it.

At least in the info I've read so far, it's unclear what the timing was. I could see even doing that being dangerous depending on when the second responding officer arrived. Pick it up and just get a grip on it so that you're about to drop the mag and if you're really unlucky, the responding officer arrives just then and opens fire because s/he sees a person actively manipulating an AR at the scene of a shooting.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Paul Howe has long advised against responding with a carbine for this very reason.

If you ever find yourself in that situation, you've already done more than your share. Don't turn into Safety Sally in the aftermath. Holster your weapon and appear as unthreatening as possible. DO NOT handle the shooters weapon/weapons. Not only can this be your ultimate outcome, but you're also handling evidence and disturbing a crime scene. Absolutely DO NOT kick weapons away or any other Hollywood highjinks. You don't know the mechanical condition of those weapons. The media and the Chipotle Crew have done an outstanding job of convincing everyone that anyone on scene with a rifle is someone up to no good, this includes responding LE. If you're standing there holding a long gun, that's likely to be a trigger for responding units that may very well end up like this tragic story.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-26-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Already been said, but nope. This is not a time to play safety officer. Don't touch evidence at a crime scene that isn't an IMMEDIATE threat to life, and don't be holding a rifle when the cops show up to a call of a bad guy with a rifle. That's the overriding lesson here that this poor dude just taught us at the cost of his life. Let's all learn the correct lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you ever find yourself in that situation, you've already done more than your share. Don't turn into Safety Sally in the aftermath. Holster your weapon and appear as unthreatening as possible. DO NOT handle the shooters weapon/weapons. Not only can this be your ultimate outcome, but you're also handling evidence and disturbing a crime scene. Absolutely DO NOT kick weapons away or any other Hollywood highjinks. You don't know the mechanical condition of those weapons. The media and the Chipotle Crew have done an outstanding job of convincing everyone that anyone on scene with a rifle is someone up to no good, this includes responding LE. If you're standing there holding a long gun, that's likely to be a trigger for responding units that may very well end up like this tragic story.
    This. Also, if you hear anyone yelling something to the effect of “Police! Don’t Move!” or “Drop the gun!” you need to understand that the commands apply to you. The police arriving on scene might not have any description of the bad guy other than “man holding a gun.” They don’t know you’re the good guy even though you know you’re the good guy. If you’re standing there with a gun in your hand when the police arrive, they might give you commands and the course of the rest of your life depends on whether you follow those commands to the letter. If you turn towards the police with a gun in your hand, you’ll likely be shot.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List