Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB retention holster?

IWB retention holster?

So I found this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2375721875

While browsing earlier, and wondered, is additional retention necessary or practical for this type of holster? Or general concealed carry?

I have a couple of the Safariland ALS paddles for range use, but that is the extent of my experience with active retention with holsters.
    My EDC rides in a JM custom kydex.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    So I found this:

While browsing earlier, and wondered, is additional retention necessary or practical for this type of holster? Or general concealed carry?

I have a couple of the Safariland ALS paddles for range use, but that is the extent of my experience with active retention with holsters.
    There's the Safariland 575 - IWB GLS™ PRO-FIT HOLSTER https://safariland.com/collections/c...ster-model_575

and the

Bianchi Model 3S https://safariland.com/products/mode...-holster-10824

I have the Bianchi 3S for my 1911's and it's a good solid piece of gear. No experience with the Safariland or the one you posted.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

So I found this:

I like Safariland equipment but I'd have two reservations with that holster. One, it's a hybrid. I carried several pistols in Comp Tac hybrids with no issue until I read an article by Ellifritz where he claimed that folks are pointing the pistol into their hip to get the muzzle into the opening of the hybrids. Can't speak for everyone, but I was doing it. I switched to the CTAC and never looked back. The other reservation has to do with that release button. Especially with a hybrid, it sure looks like that release and the trigger are running close company when holstering. That said, Safariland builds good gear and If you do give one a try, please let us know what you think.

N82

Nate squared (N82) has a hybrid holster with a twist retention system that works quite well.

Name:  BDD42C86-0ED1-48D3-A749-08B384237547.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  23.0 KB

IWB retention holster?

I’ve never felt the need for retention with a quality IWB or AIWB holster carrying concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by professor View Post
    I’ve never felt the need for retention with a quality IWB or AIWB holster carrying concealed.
    Wholeheartedly agreed. Why on earth would anyone need a secondary retention device on an IWB concealment holster? Proper fit and belt tension is enough. Geeze... Secondary retention devices for IWB CCW holsters are little more than "gimmicks marketed to the gullible"...
    Paraphrasing Wyatt Earp: The first shot is twice as important as the second shot, the 2nd shot is twice as important as the 3rd shot, the 3rd shot is twice as important as the 4th shot, the 4th shot is twice as important as the 5th shot…

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    Wholeheartedly agreed. Why on earth would anyone need a secondary retention device on an IWB concealment holster? Proper fit and belt tension is enough. Geeze... Secondary retention devices for IWB CCW holsters are little more than "gimmicks marketed to the gullible"...
    I can think of several use cases where IWB retention would be desirable. Just because you can’t doesn’t make it worthless. I personally choose not to have additional retention IWB but that’s my choice.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I can think of several use cases where IWB retention would be desirable...
    It would be interesting to understand the circumstances in which secondary retention on a CCW IWB is desirable. Please share.
    Paraphrasing Wyatt Earp: The first shot is twice as important as the second shot, the 2nd shot is twice as important as the 3rd shot, the 3rd shot is twice as important as the 4th shot, the 4th shot is twice as important as the 5th shot…

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I like Safariland equipment but I'd have two reservations with that holster. One, it's a hybrid. I carried several pistols in Comp Tac hybrids with no issue until I read an article by Ellifritz where he claimed that folks are pointing the pistol into their hip to get the muzzle into the opening of the hybrids. Can't speak for everyone, but I was doing it. I switched to the CTAC and never looked back. The other reservation has to do with that release button. Especially with a hybrid, it sure looks like that release and the trigger are running close company when holstering. That said, Safariland builds good gear and If you do give one a try, please let us know what you think.
    The link is to a Desantis brand holster, I was using Safariland as an example of what I'm familiar with, not claiming the linked product was one of their offerings.

I was mainly curious if there is a practical application for this type of holster, as this is the first time I've seen something offered in this category with a retention system I usually associate with duty or range holsters.

The link is to a Desantis brand holster, I was using Safariland as an example of what I'm familiar with, not claiming the linked product was one of their offerings.

I was mainly curious if there is a practical application for this type of holster, as this is the first time I've seen something offered in this category with a retention system I usually associate with duty or range holsters.
    My mistake. No application for me. If I was ever to open carry, I would require a retention device.

User Tag List