Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo prices leading to deep thought about gun choice.

Ammo prices leading to deep thought about gun choice.

Big changes in my life are making me reconsider how I approach firearms and the hobby aspect of it. I just bought a house, I am getting married, and now help provide for four kids (two that are mine from my previous marriage and two step). We are good financially but as the kids are getting older their hobbies are starting to over shadow mine for time and extra cash outside of investments and savings.

I was messing with some stuff the other day and realized that I just have too many irons in the fire when it comes to pistols. I have two glock 17 gen 5's I planned to do a lot with but I simply never carry them. I almost always default to a g43 or g48. Training with the bigger guns, at this point in my life, simply doesn't make sense since the never get carried and dont translate as well as I hoped to shooting the smaller guns to the level I deem responsible for daily carry. I really like my glock 48 and glock 43, I think they are good guns and shoot well. With that said I previously owned a sig 365xl and loved it, it shot better for me and handled much like a bigger gun while concealing better. Now that ammo is crazy expensive and my time is non existent I am thinking of selling off my pistols, buying three sig 365xls, putting 507ks on them, and calling it good.

This is more of a thought experiment for me right now but this is where my brain is heading as shooting and owning guns is just no longer the biggest priority in my life.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 06-25-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Big changes in my life are making me reconsider how I approach firearms and the hobby aspect of it. I just bought a house, I am getting married, and now help provide for four kids. We are good financially but as the kids are getting older their hobbies are starting to over shadow mine for time and extra cash outside of investments and savings.

I was messing with some stuff the other day and realized that I just have too many irons in the fire when it comes to pistols. I have two glock 17 gen 5's I planned to do a lot with but I simply never carry them. I almost always default to a g43 or g48. Training with the bigger guns, at this point in my life, simply doesn't make sense since the never get carried and dont translate as well as I hoped to shooting the smaller guns to the level I deem responsible for daily carry. I really like my glock 48 and glock 43, I think they are good guns and shoot well. With that said I previously owned a sig 365xl and loved it, it shot better for me and handled much like a bigger gun while concealing better. Now that ammo is crazy expensive and my time is non existent I am thinking of selling off my pistols, buying three sig 365xls, putting 507ks on them, and calling it good.

This is more of a thought experiment for me right now but this is where my brain is heading as shooting and owning guns is just no longer the biggest priority in my life.
    I hear you. There was a long period in my life that I was down to two handguns. Interests wax and wane.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

While you have some valid points and I certainly would not begrudge you for choosing the pistol you believe you shoot better, here are some counterpoints to consider:

-I assume something made you switch from the 365XL to the 43/48- has that something changed?
    -No gadget style solution for the 365 family. Manual safety as possible alternative?
    -Three new pistols would all require vetting, which might be challenging in the current ammo situation.
    -Are your 17s costing you anything sitting dormant? They are a much more suitable gaming gun than the 365s if that is something that might interest you once the ammo situation recovers.

EDIT- congratulations on the life changes and enjoy the family life while they are young!
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    While you have some valid points and I certainly would not begrudge you for choosing the pistol you believe you shoot better, here are some counterpoints to consider:

-I assume something made you switch from the 365XL to the 43/48- has that something changed?
    -No gadget style solution for the 365 family. Manual safety as possible alternative?
    -Three new pistols would all require vetting, which might be challenging in the current ammo situation.
    -Are your 17s costing you anything sitting dormant? They are a much more suitable gaming gun than the 365s if that is something that might interest you once the ammo situation recovers.

EDIT- congratulations on the life changes and enjoy the family life while they are young!
    Hey, thanks for the points. I would be running manual safeties. The only reason I switched away from the sig in the first place was I had to sell some stuff to pay for my divorce lawyer and at the time glock seemed like the best bet.. It is truly the only pistol I have ever regretted selling unfortunately for me. thanks for the congrats, its tiring but it is a blast.

I always find that platform changes are more expensive than I originally estimate. New guns must be vetted (as mentioned above), and often require holsters, aftermarket sights, tools, mags, slide milling, etc. etc. There's also a lot of time associated with new defensive tools - it takes range time to confirm zero, vet carry loads, etc.

That said, if you want to buy new guns, I'll be the last one to stop you. And this is a decent time to offload unwanted hardware.

Site Supporter
    The basics of a defensive tool are going to serve you well with what you chose. If it’s a Glock of whatever flavor. Or any other platform. Pick one that suits you and is cost effective to your lifestyle. Concentrate on what you have currently. Become proficient to what you deem is acceptable to your standards.

I’m other words. Build on what you have vs what you want. You’ll be more rewarded for it.

I don’t think your idea is bad. I just think that “all or nothing” is probably premature.

Sell off one or both G17s, buy one or two P365XLs with 507ks. THEN see if the juice is worth the squeeze to get rid of your G43X/G48.

If so, get rid of them. If not, get rid of the P365s.

If you do go full P365, you just need to validate 2 of them; one for carry and one for backup. Use #3 as a training gun or in reserve.

Also, consider holding off on getting 3 507ks. Get 2, so you’re able to get another optic in the future when the next generation comes out. No need to lay out the cash now for a third copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I don’t think your idea is bad. I just think that “all or nothing” is probably premature.

Sell off one or both G17s, buy one or two P365XLs with 507ks. THEN see if the juice is worth the squeeze to get rid of your G43X/G48.

If so, get rid of them. If not, get rid of the P365s.

If you do go full P365, you just need to validate 2 of them; one for carry and one for backup. Use #3 as a training gun or in reserve.

Also, consider holding off on getting 3 507ks. Get 2, so you’re able to get another optic in the future when the next generation comes out. No need to lay out the cash now for a third copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thankfully already have 2, so this route actually saves me money because I won't have to get my glocks milled.

Ammo prices are double what they were so I’m shooting 1/2 as much but I’m dry firing more and I’ve actually improved way more than in past years.

P365 and the XL variants are great. I can pretty much accomplish anything I need to with that gun.

It’s a good choice. Family first! Congrats!

I attended a Dave Spaulding class and he made some valid points about what people in the class were shooting. Basically, why are you training with a tricked out full size pistol that you won't be carrying. Goes to your point of the G17s sitting in the safe and not being used.

User Tag List