Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a chance on a Stoeger M3000 Freedom Series Defense Shotgun - opinions?

Update on my Stoeger M3000 project

This weekend I put on a recoil pad and a shell holder.

For the recoil pad I used a Sims LimbSaver Airtech Slip-On Recoil Pad. I did not want to do a grind to fit pad because I don't have a belt sander to do a proper installation. Also, I may want to shorten the stock at some point. So that left me with the slip on model. I did not want to increase the length of pull so I removed the stock butt pad.

The Stoeger M3000 butt stock is hollow leaving very little for a slip on pad to press against while under recoil. So I fabricated a thin plate from a piece of scrap laminated wood flooring to fit flush inside the stock. See picture below:

Name:  IMG-7523.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  27.2 KB

Not perfect but close enough to work. Now with the slip on pad installed the LOP seems it may be just a tad bit shorter.

It seems nobody makes a sidesaddle that mounts to the Stoeger M3000 that's not a nylon/velcro product. I didn't want to go that way so I used a Hill People Gear stock cuff. These are very well made and work great. (Thank you Lester Polfus) The strap on the back keeps the cuff from moving forward and the cuff as a whole should help keep the recoil pad in place.

Name:  IMG-7525.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  33.2 KB

So here it what my rig looks like so far:

Name:  IMG-7524 (1).jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  19.7 KB

I am still looking for a flashlight mount that will work to my satisfaction. I tried the CDM Gear ROC-12R Low Profile Light Mount with Built-In Tac Flashlight Ring but I could not tighten it enough to be secure without causing the magazine feeding malfunctions. I could get even close to the recommended 15-20 inch pounds of torque.

I ordered an Elzetta ZSM Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount to try. Ill let you all know if it works any better
    Last edited by 4given; 07-06-2021 at 12:24 PM.

posted by mistake.

Put 75 more rounds of target loads through the Stoeger last light after work without any failures. That's a total of 200 rounds with no malfunctions. While by no means a torture test, I think it can be trusted to live under my bed loaded with buckshot.

The Sims LimbSaver recoil pad worked very well. It is a "Must Have" IMHO. Way more comfortable to shoot with this thing on. Made quite a bit of difference.

I had issues with the Elzetta ZSM Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount. I could not tighten it enough to keep it from moving under recoil without causing magazine issues. I tried adjusting the tension many times at the range but could not get it to work. I am going to try using some strips of bicycle innertube to see if that might afford a bit more traction. I wish GG&G made one that fits a Stoeger.

I'll report back.
    Last edited by 4given; 07-09-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Please keep the information coming. I'm very interested in this gun. Its made in 20 ga as well, and different barrel options seem reasonable in price. Wondering if it would be a good all around gun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I sent my Elzetta ZSM Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount back & they sent me a new one. I mounted the new one with strips of bicycle inner tube between the mag tube, barrel and the mount. This allowed me to tighten the mount a lot more before magazine binding would occur.

Name:  IMG_7551.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  80.5 KB Name:  IMG_7550.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  67.3 KB

I took the shotgun to the range and fired another 50 rounds through it. The shotgun performed flawlessly with every shot. The light mount and flashlight stayed firmly in place.

The ammo used was 25 rounds of Federal 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps loads

Name:  IMG_7501.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  48.5 KB

and 25 rounds of Federal 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 1145 FPS loads.

Name:  IMG_7552.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  53.1 KB

The Federal 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 1145 FPS load should approximate the recoil impulse of the Federal 132LE 00 with 9 pellets weighing right at 1 1/10 oz with a muzzle velocity of 1145 fps.

Name:  pix399159757.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  82.6 KB

So far I have a total of 250 rounds through this shotgun with no malfunctions.

The trigger is breaking in and feels much better now.

I was thinking of putting a spring kit in the trigger but I think I will leave it alone. I still may put a reduced rate recoil spring in it when they become available but I am not certain. It seems to be functioning fine with lighter loads. I', thinking maybe the reduced rate spring might be insurance against malfunctions in the event I don't have the weapon properly mounted on my shoulder or I have a situation when I have to fire it from the hip or some other awkward positions. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So far I am really pleased how this rig is coming together .

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    A couple of thoughts whose worth may or may not be negligible...

Another idea if the inner tube doesn’t work is 3M skid tape. (Like used on steps.). I have a light mount on an 870 that suffered the same issues. You just couldn’t get it tight enough. I applied a few strips to the magazine tube and it seems to have done the trick.

As far as the spring goes, that may not be a bad idea. Heavy training use use the stronger spring. Put the lighter one in (after function testing) for serious uses. I recall doing the same type of thing back when I was bird hunting. IIRC, I had an Auto 20 and another 28ga that used a bronze sleeve that managed recoil functions. I’d set it up for light loads but carried some high brass 6’s in case the dogs stumbled on pheasants while quail hunting.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I sent my Elzetta ZSM Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount back & they sent me a new one. I mounted the new one with strips of bicycle inner tube between the mag tube, barrel and the mount. This allowed me to tighten the mount a lot more before magazine binding would occur.

Name:  IMG_7551.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  80.5 KB Name:  IMG_7550.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  67.3 KB

I took the shotgun to the range and fired another 50 rounds through it. The shotgun performed flawlessly with every shot. The light mount and flashlight stayed firmly in place.

The ammo used was 25 rounds of Federal 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps loads

Name:  IMG_7501.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  48.5 KB

and 25 rounds of Federal 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 1145 FPS loads.

Name:  IMG_7552.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  53.1 KB

The Federal 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 1145 FPS load should approximate the recoil impulse of the Federal 132LE 00 with 9 pellets weighing right at 1 1/10 oz with a muzzle velocity of 1145 fps.

Name:  pix399159757.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  82.6 KB

So far I have a total of 250 rounds through this shotgun with no malfunctions.

The trigger is breaking in and feels much better now.

I was thinking of putting a spring kit in the trigger but I think I will leave it alone. I still may put a reduced rate recoil spring in it when they become available but I am not certain. It seems to be functioning fine with lighter loads. I', thinking maybe the reduced rate spring might be insurance against malfunctions in the event I don't have the weapon properly mounted on my shoulder or I have a situation when I have to fire it from the hip or some other awkward positions. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So far I am really pleased how this rig is coming together .
    Non-expert opinion, but isn't the reduced spring for insuring function with light loads? What situation would you be in where you required proper function with light loads and suboptimal mounting? The compromised shooting would be in a self defense situation, correct? And the load used for this situation should be some kind of Duty load, correct? I don't see where the reduced spring would help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Non-expert opinion, but isn't the reduced spring for insuring function with light loads? What situation would you be in where you required proper function with light loads and suboptimal mounting? The compromised shooting would be in a self defense situation, correct? And the load used for this situation should be some kind of Duty load, correct? I don't see where the reduced spring would help you out.
    Thanks for the input. My thoughts are these: The Federal Duty loads like 132LE and 133LE are light reduced recoil loads. The Stoeger M3000 has a inertia driven action. As such, it cycles best when pressed against the shoulder. In a self defense situation where you had to shoot from the hip or whatever, would the reduced recoil spring help insure cycling?
    Last edited by 4given; 07-16-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Thanks for the input. My thoughts are these: The Federal Duty loads like 132LE and 133LE are light reduced recoil loads. The Stoeger M3000 has a inertia driven action. As such, it cycles best when pressed against the shoulder. In a self defense situation where you had to shoot from the hip or whatever, would the reduced recoils spring help insure cycling?
    I have no idea... @TCinVA may have some words of wisdom for you.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    A couple of thoughts whose worth may or may not be negligible...

Another idea if the inner tube doesn’t work is 3M skid tape. (Like used on steps.). I have a light mount on an 870 that suffered the same issues. You just couldn’t get it tight enough. I applied a few strips to the magazine tube and it seems to have done the trick.

As far as the spring goes, that may not be a bad idea. Heavy training use use the stronger spring. Put the lighter one in (after function testing) for serious uses. I recall doing the same type of thing back when I was bird hunting. IIRC, I had an Auto 20 and another 28ga that used a bronze sleeve that managed recoil functions. I’d set it up for light loads but carried some high brass 6’s in case the dogs stumbled on pheasants while quail hunting.
    The innertube strips are working really well so far. The mount did not budge at all.

I may try the lighter recoil spring if they ever get them back in stock and fire a bunch of light target loads from the hip and see if they cycle properly. I guess that would tell the story.

User Tag List