Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a chance on a Stoeger M3000 Freedom Series Defense Shotgun - opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    How much are you saving over a 1301?
    The Stoeger is a about half the price of a 1301T from what I can find on line. The cheapest 1301T I can fine right now is $1260.00 plus shipping. The Stoeger was $619.00 shipped

I might still wind up with a 1301T when this is all over, ya never know!
    Last edited by 4given; 06-25-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    I don't have any experience with the defensive ones but have been hunting with an M3500 for two seasons and it has held up well in all kinds of wet and muddy conditions. It cycles everything from 2 3/4 target to 3.5 goose loads just fine, although I did have issues with light loads out of the box. One of the only guns in my experience that truly needs a break in of full power loads. I would definitely recommend them.
    I have a bunch of Federal 1 1/8 oz 3 dram 1200 fps loads. I wonder if that is "full power" enough? Tough to find much 12 ga right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I saw somewhere that the Stoeger uses the same bolt as the Benelli?
    I’m not sure about the actual bolthead, I believe the bcg is different.

I wonder if these cycle Federal 132LE00 and other low recoil buckshot. I just bought some so I hope so.
    My M3K is just fine with what little Federal 132LE00 I’ve put thru it. It did not like some Fiocchi low recoil I found but worked with their normal load. It runs well with low brass promo ammo shooting sporting clays or skeet and MOA has a reduced power recoil spring which I have but never installed (he sent it to me gratis because HE decided he had taken too long to ship a part I ordered. I thought his shipping time was quite reasonable).

Site Supporter
    I am pleased with my Stoeger but did make some improvements (it is my CA-legal long gun when I go down there on protection details). In its stock form it much prefers full velocity buckshot (00 at 1350+ versus tactical 00 at 1150). When firing tactical buckshot the action was noticeably slower over the standard velocity buckshot and I would get a failure to extract once every 8 shots. 3 dram birdshot seemed to cycle a bit better versus other birdshot. I shopped at MOA Precision and ended up getting their Magpul SGA adapter, reduced recoil spring and heavy bolt system. It now fires everything I feed it.

I installed a Briley Mlok rail, a GG&G oversized charging handle, a Surefire 340C light, and a Holosun 510C. Granted this was a significant investment on my part but Benellis and 1301Ts weren’t available or were cost prohibitive. I feel very well equipped with the Stoeger when I can’t bring my DD SBR along for the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter
    Continuing my search for a decent inexpensive home defense semi-auto shot gun. The Black Aces turned out to be a bust.

This time I ordered a Stoeger M3000 #31890FS I'm hoping this will be a lot better rig.

Anybody own one/use one? Good experiences? Advice?

Attachment 73329
    more info here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....sitioning-duty

Following because I want a 1301T but don't want to spend 1301T money on what would realistically be a tertiary or quaternary HD option despite being tall on cool points. @kjr_29, any updates on yours?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Be sure and clean the factory grease off it when you first get it and then lube it up or you’ll have cycling issues shortly.

I like mine. Tremendous value. Is it as nice as the 1301 I had... no. But it’s pretty good and it’s a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK View Post
    I am pleased with my Stoeger but did make some improvements (it is my CA-legal long gun when I go down there on protection details). In its stock form it much prefers full velocity buckshot (00 at 1350+ versus tactical 00 at 1150). When firing tactical buckshot the action was noticeably slower over the standard velocity buckshot and I would get a failure to extract once every 8 shots. 3 dram birdshot seemed to cycle a bit better versus other birdshot. I shopped at MOA Precision and ended up getting their Magpul SGA adapter, reduced recoil spring and heavy bolt system. It now fires everything I feed it.

I installed a Briley Mlok rail, a GG&G oversized charging handle, a Surefire 340C light, and a Holosun 510C. Granted this was a significant investment on my part but Benellis and 1301Ts weren’t available or were cost prohibitive. I feel very well equipped with the Stoeger when I can’t bring my DD SBR along for the ride.
    That turned out really nice. Thanks for the tip on the MOA reduced recoil spring. I'll check that out. Did you install a Benelli extractor and spring? I have been reading a lot of guys do.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Be sure and clean the factory grease off it when you first get it and then lube it up or you’ll have cycling issues shortly.

I like mine. Tremendous value. Is it as nice as the 1301 I had... no. But it’s pretty good and it’s a fraction of the price.
    Will do! That's my usual SOP.

Site Supporter
    That turned out really nice. Thanks for the tip on the MOA reduced recoil spring. I'll check that out. Did you install a Benelli extractor and spring? I have been reading a lot of guys do.
    I did install the Benelli spring and ended up going with the MOA version of the Benelli extractor (Benelli’s OEM part was indefinitely back-ordered.)

User Tag List