Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a chance on a Stoeger M3000 Freedom Series Defense Shotgun - opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I have no idea... @TCinVA may have some words of wisdom for you.
    Yes he would probably know

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I still may put a reduced rate recoil spring in it when they become available but I am not certain. It seems to be functioning fine with lighter loads. I', thinking maybe the reduced rate spring might be insurance against malfunctions in the event I don't have the weapon properly mounted on my shoulder or I have a situation when I have to fire it from the hip or some other awkward positions. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So far I am really pleased how this rig is coming together .
    I wouldn't put a reduced weight recoil spring in the shotgun period, but especially for just in case, especially if you haven't verified 'just in case.'

IMO, if you need a lighter spring to reliably cycle an inertia drive system with reduced recoil loads, my suggestion would be to get a gas operated shotgun.

Worried about shooting from the hip - see if it functions.

Worried about shooting it with a sub-optimal mount into the shoulder - shoot it with a sub-optimal mount.

Worried about it functioning while shooting urban prone - shoot it urban prone.

Worried about shooting one-handed from the shoulder - shoot it one handed from the shoulder.

You get the drift.

If you find it doesn't function in these scenarios - with YOU holding onto it - I'd then address options.

JMO worth what it cost.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I wouldn't put a reduced weight recoil spring in the shotgun period, but especially for just in case, especially if you haven't verified 'just in case.'

IMO, if you need a lighter spring to reliably cycle an inertia drive system with reduced recoil loads, my suggestion would be to get a gas operated shotgun.

Worried about shooting from the hip - see if it functions.

Worried about shooting it with a sub-optimal mount into the shoulder - shoot it with a sub-optimal mount.

Worried about it functioning while shooting urban prone - shoot it urban prone.

Worried about shooting one-handed from the shoulder - shoot it one handed from the shoulder.

You get the drift.

If you find it doesn't function in these scenarios - with YOU holding onto it - I'd then address options.

JMO worth what it cost.

Good advice. Thanks!

4given - wringing it out that way will be fun and instructive, let us know.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Yes he would probably know
    I'm flattered you guys think so.

The specific answer here is that without testing your specific gun with the specific ammo in question that way, you won't know for sure.

The trainer's answer here would be that what is commonly referred to as "hip shooting" with a firearm isn't really a useful methodology. Whether discussing a pistol or a long gun, use of the gun "from the hip" doesn't allow visual verification of where, exactly, the projectile(s) are going. Under ideal range conditions where the shooter and target are static, the distance is known, and the shooter can pick his moment it is possible to make hits.

Stuff like this:

...has proven ineffectual at teaching a typical person how to prevail in a gunfight. From a teaching perspective, we don't want people trying to use shotguns like that. The various "shockwave" style guns on the market are a terrible idea as a defensive tool that can really only be made useful for the typical person by adding something like a laser on them. Even in my hands, a "shockwave" takes twice as long to get on target and use as a properly stocked shotgun used from the shoulder.

If we are talking close quarters use of a shotgun, short stocking is usually a superior method and when used with the proper technique isn't any more or less reliable than use of the gun on the shoulder.

If we are talking about diminished capacity use of the gun a la Special Agent Mireles in the Miami fight, attempting use from the hip is going to be less effective than getting whatever shoulder still works behind the gun.

The inertia recoil system depends on a difference in movement between the bolt assembly and the whole gun. From a purely functional perspective, the inertia guns have a happy zone where they function reliably. That happy zone depends on a certain amount of recoil taking place to allow the mechanism to work properly. This means that someone like Rob Haught finds inertia-based semi-autos useless because his recoil mitigation is so powerful that he actually chokes the gun by not letting it move enough to operate. I don't find many people who have the same problem because they aren't as strong or skilled at the technique as Rob Haught.

Conversely, if you allow the whole gun to move too much, it will rob the bolt of the energy needed to complete the ejection and feeding cycle.

If I had to venture an educated guess, I'd say that trying to run an inertia based gun "from the hip" with low recoil ammunition is a good way to induce stoppages. My recommendation would be to eschew using the gun "from the hip" because it's generally a poor methodology for effective use of the gun.

If you depend on the gun for self defense, it is a good idea to explore function with low recoil shells and what conditions are required to make it run reliably...but I'd consider it's ability to function in "hip shooting" to be ranked somewhere below whether or not I like the color in terms of importance to me. YMMV.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Following because I want a 1301T but don't want to spend 1301T money on what would realistically be a tertiary or quaternary HD option despite being tall on cool points. @kjr_29, any updates on yours?
    No updates really, it runs like a champ. Pretty pleased with mine until I saw that MLOK ha sugars above, then jealousy struck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lon, I went ahead and ordered this one to try. In the "questions" section two people claim they fit their M3000's nicely. If it does not fit Amazon returns are pretty easy!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tag=ratio07-20
    I’m using the Nordic clamp on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

The specific answer here is that without testing your specific gun with the specific ammo in question that way, you won't know for sure.

The trainer's answer here would be that what is commonly referred to as "hip shooting" with a firearm isn't really a useful methodology. Whether discussing a pistol or a long gun, use of the gun "from the hip" doesn't allow visual verification of where, exactly, the projectile(s) are going. Under ideal range conditions where the shooter and target are static, the distance is known, and the shooter can pick his moment it is possible to make hits.

Stuff like this:

...has proven ineffectual at teaching a typical person how to prevail in a gunfight. From a teaching perspective, we don't want people trying to use shotguns like that. The various "shockwave" style guns on the market are a terrible idea as a defensive tool that can really only be made useful for the typical person by adding something like a laser on them. Even in my hands, a "shockwave" takes twice as long to get on target and use as a properly stocked shotgun used from the shoulder.

If we are talking close quarters use of a shotgun, short stocking is usually a superior method and when used with the proper technique isn't any more or less reliable than use of the gun on the shoulder.

If we are talking about diminished capacity use of the gun a la Special Agent Mireles in the Miami fight, attempting use from the hip is going to be less effective than getting whatever shoulder still works behind the gun.

The inertia recoil system depends on a difference in movement between the bolt assembly and the whole gun. From a purely functional perspective, the inertia guns have a happy zone where they function reliably. That happy zone depends on a certain amount of recoil taking place to allow the mechanism to work properly. This means that someone like Rob Haught finds inertia-based semi-autos useless because his recoil mitigation is so powerful that he actually chokes the gun by not letting it move enough to operate. I don't find many people who have the same problem because they aren't as strong or skilled at the technique as Rob Haught.

Conversely, if you allow the whole gun to move too much, it will rob the bolt of the energy needed to complete the ejection and feeding cycle.

If I had to venture an educated guess, I'd say that trying to run an inertia based gun "from the hip" with low recoil ammunition is a good way to induce stoppages. My recommendation would be to eschew using the gun "from the hip" because it's generally a poor methodology for effective use of the gun.

If you depend on the gun for self defense, it is a good idea to explore function with low recoil shells and what conditions are required to make it run reliably...but I'd consider it's ability to function in "hip shooting" to be ranked somewhere below whether or not I like the color in terms of importance to me. YMMV.
    FWIW I saw Rob run an 870 and a Benelli in a class back to back. In his hands, and my untrained eye, I don't think the Benelli was much faster. Back then he made a comment that only movie stars and something else[emoji23] fired a shotgun from the hip. This was around 2000 or so.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    No updates really, it runs like a champ. Pretty pleased with mine until I saw that MLOK ha sugars above, then jealousy struck.

*hand guard

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Stuff like this:

I'm flattered that you took the time to answer my questions in such a thoughtful and comprehensive way. I really appreciate it.

I understand what you are saying. I never thought for a moment that shooting from the hip would be preferred practice. However, I am guilty of overthinking all this. I imagined there could be scenarios where I may be in compromised situation where you HAD to shoot from a sub-optimal position and if so, would my shotgun cycle? I've tripped, fallen need to fire and can't get the weapon shouldered & etc. Too far out in the weeds it seems

BTW, I have now tested low recoil ammo (target loads and Federal 133LE 00) "from the hip" and none of it cycles reliably. I shot some Hornady Critical Defense from the hip and it cycled fine but I didn't shoot enough of to really prove anything. However the low recoil stuff works great when fired from the shoulder! 250 rounds so far with no failures.

User Tag List