Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does .45 ACP Expand from a G30?

Does .45 ACP Expand from a G30?

I seem to remember reading aomewhere that .45 doesn't reliably expand from a shorter barrel, as in a G30? Anyone with experience on this?

Does it reliably expand from 4.5" barrels, such as a G21?

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Yes. See forum member Docgr's research on the topic. The research is in depth and considered the last word on the subject. Some brands and offerings expand reliably. Some don't. Applies to major defense calibers including 45 Auto.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Can't think of a reason that it wouldn't

According to the page, that test was conducted using a Kahr CW45. I am not familiar with that particular pistol, so I looked it up, and according to the Kahr website, it has a 3.64" barrel. A G30 has a barrel length of 3.78", so that should yield slightly better velocity than the Kahr test gun. So, I'd say the LuckyGunner data is valid to answer the OP's question. If it expanded out of the Kahr, it should expand out of a G30.

Fortunately, it is a .45.

I have killed a good bit of game, large and small with non expanding bullets, such as semi wadcutters, and wide flat nose profiles. The .45 cuts nice big holes in stuff and kills quite well, even when it does not expand at all.

If I was never allowed to have a hollow point ever again, I would load up some warm semi wadcutters in a .45 and not feel poorly armed in the least bit. They certainly will go right through a mule deer.

A good 250 grain SWC or RNFP at 850 FPS is pretty big medicine.

My friend at the Milt Sparks shop shot this nice cow elk a couple seasons ago using a 1917 revolver and .45 auto rim (close enough to the same as ACP) and a hard cast, non expanding bullet.

I know the trend is for smaller bullets these days, but I will take a larger one every time when it comes to stuff like this.

So, if you are genuinely worried about expansion from your G30, you could always switch to an SWC type profile, like handgun hunters use. They have a long track record for excellent deep penetrating terminal performance.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

I have killed a good bit of game, large and small with non expanding bullets, such as semi wadcutters, and wide flat nose profiles. The .45 cuts nice big holes in stuff and kills quite well, even when it does not expand at all.

If I was never allowed to have a hollow point ever again, I would load up some warm semi wadcutters in a .45 and not feel poorly armed in the least bit. They certainly will go right through a mule deer.

My friend at the Milt Sparks shop shot this nice cow elk a couple seasons ago using a 1917 revolver and .45 auto rim (close enough to the same as ACP) and a hard cast, non expanding bullet.

I know the trend is for smaller bullets these days, but I will take a larger one every time when it comes to stuff like this.

So, if you are genuinely worried about expansion from your G30, you could always switch to an SWC type profile, like handgun hunters use. They have a long track record for excellent deep penetrating terminal performance.

Cheers!
    Hunters need deep penetration, and are a lot less concerned about Rule Four- with potential overpenetration and associated consequences beyond the target.

I would just point out that this is not the case for responsible concealed carry, which I would presume would be the issue at hand as we are discussing a G30- a pistol that isn’t well suited to shooting non-jacketed ammunition in the first place, due to polygonal rifling.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Hunters need deep penetration, and are a lot less concerned about Rule Four- with potential overpenetration and associated consequences beyond the target.
    Rule Four applies regardless of bullet type.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Cheers!
    Currently carrying these in my 4" lw champion
    Name:  20200809_151620.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  58.8 KB

255gr at 900fps

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Rule Four applies regardless of bullet type.
    Always.

User Tag List