Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Does .45 ACP Expand from a G30?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    Agree that function is very important. I want a hollow point load as close as possible to standard .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ @ about 830 fps as far as the same bullet weight, near the same velocity, and similar bullet profile where it contacts the feed ramp and chamber. So far, I am thinking Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .45 ACP or Federal HST .45 ACP, as mentioned above.

BTW, I shot it recently with Winchester 230 grain FMJ, and function was flawless, recoil was no worse that a full-sized 1911, and accuracy was good, even at long distance (100 yards). It was very pleasant and fun.
    I know, replying to myself looks strange, but I wanted to redirect to my last post...

After some research, speaking to others, and crunching numbers... I purchased a quantity of .45 Auto 230 grain Federal HST (P45HST2) for my Detonics Combat Master .45 Auto with 3.5 inch barrel. According to a very reliable source, this load still expands reliably from shorter barrels, even as short as 3.5 inches. I intend to water test this HST load in my Detonics.

Of interest, I expect, here are some of the numbers I got from my research/number crunching (P45HST2):
    Federal HST average velocity from 5" barrel is 895.5 fps
    Federal HST average velocity from 3.5" barrel (calculated estimate) should be 819.75 fps
    3.5" barrel velocity is estimated to be about 91.5% of 5" barrel velocity

Based on all of these "calculated estimates", I only expect an 8.5% velocity drop when firing P45HST2 from a 3.5" barrel instead of a 5" barrel.

I intend to test this by firing this load from my 3.5" Detonics and also a 5" 1911.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, standard pressure 230-grain HST went 869 fps from the 4" barrel of my M&P45 Compact. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle on this; different lots of ammo and different barrels introduce variables that influence velocity. You're in the right ballpark.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    FWIW, standard pressure 230-grain HST went 869 fps from the 4" barrel of my M&P45 Compact. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle on this; different lots of ammo and different barrels introduce variables that influence velocity. You're in the right ballpark.
    Absolutely.

The only way to know what a specific type or lot of ammunition will do in a specific gun is to fire it from that specific gun.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

That fits my data...

From 2008...
    6" barrel 897 fps
    5" barrel 895 fps
    4" barrel 865 fps
    3" barrel 787 fps
    2" barrel 754 fps

From 2015...
    5" barrel 896 fps
    4" barrel 838 fps
    3" barrel 789 fps

Not getting wrapped around the axle, just trying to calculate velocity loss by barrel length reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Absolutely.

The only way to know what a specific type or lot of ammunition will do in a specific gun is to fire it from that specific gun.
    Correct, that is why I intend to test P45HST2 in 3.5 and 5 inch pistols with my water test tank.

Chrono results today from a new gen 5 G30:

50 degrees, light rain
    Pro Chrono Ltd @10'

HST 230
    High 847
    Low 818
    Avg 832
    ES 29
    SD 9

HST 230 +P
    High 875
    Low 840
    Avg 858
    ES 35
    SD 10

These were 10-shot strings. A negligible average difference of 26 fps, with a negligible difference in recoil as well. If you handed me mags of either at random, I'm not sure I'd be able to reliably pick the +P. Both are noticeably warmer than AE or Lawman ball, but easy to handle in the G30.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    A negligible average difference of 26 fps, with a negligible difference in recoil as well. If you handed me mags of either at random, I'm not sure I'd be able to reliably pick the +P. Both are noticeably warmer than AE or Lawman ball, but easy to handle in the G30.
    When I chronoed standard velocity and +P in my M&P45 Compact, the velocity difference was 27 fps and I couldn't really tell the difference in perceived recoil either.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Chrono results today from a new gen 5 G30:

50 degrees, light rain
    Pro Chrono Ltd @10'

HST 230
    High 847
    Low 818
    Avg 832
    ES 29
    SD 9

HST 230 +P
    High 875
    Low 840
    Avg 858
    ES 35
    SD 10

These were 10-shot strings. A negligible average difference of 26 fps, with a negligible difference in recoil as well. If you handed me mags of either at random, I'm not sure I'd be able to reliably pick the +P. Both are noticeably warmer than AE or Lawman ball, but easy to handle in the G30.
    I remember comparing these two rounds in my early gen 3 (or gen 2.5 as some like to call it). I remember a noticeable recoil difference. In fact the only time I ran the so called 9 round magazine with 9+1, only the +P round could cycle the first round, due to how tight the. Magazine / rounds were pushing up on the slide.

After the above incident, I declared those magazines 8 rounders, and everything works fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I remember comparing these two rounds in my early gen 3 (or gen 2.5 as some like to call it). I remember a noticeable recoil difference. In fact the only time I ran the so called 9 round magazine with 9+1, only the +P round could cycle the first round, due to how tight the. Magazine / rounds were pushing up on the slide.

After the above incident, I declared those magazines 8 rounders, and everything works fine.
    My M&P45s run fine with 10+1, even with my hardball-equivalent handloads. My reload magazine has only nine rounds in it because it requires a really hard smack to seat it with ten, and if I need to reload, I don't need that noise.

My M&P45s run fine with 10+1, even with my hardball-equivalent handloads. My reload magazine has only nine rounds in it because it requires a really hard smack to seat it with ten, and if I need to reload, I don't need that noise.
    My so called Glock 9 round mags were so hard to get that 9th round in, we (yes we) had to push the magazine against a wall. You’d never seat that under stress.

The only other factory the magazine I’ve declared less than advertised is the Shield Plus “13” round magazine. They are 12 round magazines.

I’ve run an M&P .45 in a few matches. They do seat tight. Downloading the reload mag is a wise move.

User Tag List