Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester's 1911!

Winchester's 1911!

Not a handgun...but damn, putting this "1911" in "semi-auto pistols" was just too tempting (mods move if you need too, thanks)

I am working though my collection to bring some neat and odd guns to you.

Video here>
    Article here> https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/win...1911sl-review/
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Site Supporter
    Yep, that was interesting and a firearm I knew nothing about until now.

Wait, there's more.
    The Browning's friction system is adjustable. The gun came with a diagram pasted into the forend showing the location of the beveled ring for light and heavy loads. The Magnum layout is even more elaborate.
    My neighbor the gunsmith found a majority of Brownings coming in with the ring placed for light loads and left there for all occasions. They didn't seem to get battered up too badly. Them there spring operated shotguns were really good. When they gave them to the Japs, the good old boys "put their Belgium Brownings up" and got a Mossberg to hunt with.

Also, Remington made the pattern as the Model 11 and during WWII, made the American Browning while FN was in German hands, until everything went over to military contracts. Notice that Remington stayed with the Magic Number 11. They went from the Model 11 to the 11-48, a streamlined recoil operated gun, and then after a couple of attempts at gas operation, brought out the fully developed Model 1100, and eventually the Model 11-87.

Savage used the Browning action, too. They had a rather ugly gun that tried to round off the humpback, but just looked even bulkier because of the long recoil action.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Great video Pat!!! I love oddities like this, please show us more..The only thing I have that could be considered a oddity is a Mauser M96 American, straight pull bolt action rifle. My understanding is, that this model was the last one made before Mauser got out of the firearms business..I would'nt say that they are rare, but on the other hand, you don't see them everyday either. But, they are a bit odd.

Site Supporter
    I found this very interesting from both a historical perspective and an engineering perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Wait, there's more.
    The Browning's friction system is adjustable. The gun came with a diagram pasted into the forend showing the location of the beveled ring for light and heavy loads. The Magnum layout is even more elaborate.
    My neighbor the gunsmith found a majority of Brownings coming in with the ring placed for light loads and left there for all occasions. They didn't seem to get battered up too badly. Them there spring operated shotguns were really good. When they gave them to the Japs, the good old boys "put their Belgium Brownings up" and got a Mossberg to hunt with.

Also, Remington made the pattern as the Model 11 and during WWII, made the American Browning while FN was in German hands, until everything went over to military contracts. Notice that Remington stayed with the Magic Number 11. They went from the Model 11 to the 11-48, a streamlined recoil operated gun, and then after a couple of attempts at gas operation, brought out the fully developed Model 1100, and eventually the Model 11-87.

Savage used the Browning action, too. They had a rather ugly gun that tried to round off the humpback, but just looked even bulkier because of the long recoil action.
    You know your Browning copies! I did not include any of this as it is not pertinent to the WIN 1911. Oh and the Franchi AL48 and Dawia had one too.

Shot a couple SOF matches with a Browning Auto 5. I have more than a passing fancy for this well crafted shotgun.

Name:  p2030083349-4.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  42.7 KB

Site Supporter
    P.E. thank you so much for your videos. They are a joy to watch.

I foolishly passed up a Rem 11 a couple of years ago.
    Idiot!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Great video Pat!!! I love oddities like this, please show us more..The only thing I have that could be considered a oddity is a Mauser M96 American, straight pull bolt action rifle. My understanding is, that this model was the last one made before Mauser got out of the firearms business..I would'nt say that they are rare, but on the other hand, you don't see them everyday either. But, they are a bit odd.
    I had one in .30-06. Neat gun. Light weight and easy to carry. One needed a rather long reach to reach the bolt handle as it ratcheted forward. It was also brutal to shoot, one of the few guns I've ever had that I flinched when I shot it. In retrospect I'd of much rather had one in .308.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List