Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Glock EDC Quesions

I think the 17 shoots softer and I can generally run one faster and more accurately.

The shape of the hump is different enough that I consider them two different guns rather than a big and small of the same gun.

You’ll just have to see which one fits best.

10rd limit for me has me looking at the 48 again (which makes me bleed fast). I’m going back to Glock and was thinking 19/17/45 and a 48/43x.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

Here are the questions:
    1. Which pistol (G19 or G45?) Why did you choose the pistol you chose?
    2. Is there a better optic choice than the RMR Type 2 being considered? If so, what is it and why is it better?
    3. Is direct mount the way to go, assuming the flexibility of the Glock MOS is immaterial to the shooter? If not, why not?
    4. Is Battlewerx the correct choice for slide milling and mounting the optic and sights? If not, who is a better choice? Why?
    5. Is a plain black set of BUIS with 1/3 co-witness a wise choice for the the stated intended purpose? If there are better choices, what are they? Why?
    1. A G45 can be made into a G19 but not backwards. Potential extra expenditure for a grip chop vs arriving to a final solution through personal experience is something you need to decide on.

2. The main redeeming quality, besides the durability, for RMR for me is that it shares a footprint with Holosun and SRO. I can't use it on anything other than high settings. It washes out in a bright sunlight. It washes out in darkness when I use a WML. When I had my type 1s set at the intensity that guaranteed me a visible dot no matter what light was outside, WML / no WML, my battery life for was 5 months and then optic dismount and remount. The auto adjust doesn't react well enough in rapid light changes and I personally find dot intensity changes distracting. It has a small window. It is a 12 year old tech that's getting outdated every day.

3. If RMR is still what you want to go with, I am not aware of any direct mount that avoids suppressor height irons. Maybe I am outdated in that regard but I thought that Maple Leaf milled the deepest pocket at 0.165 and it still needed tall sights.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Zev Duty slide lets you mount an RMR low enough to use 10-8 "regular" height irons, which are really about half way between normal and suppressor height.

Name:  IMG_4410.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  67.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4417.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  51.6 KB

FWIW, I have a G45 and 2 G19s - I never shoot and never even think about carrying the G45. Unless you have giant hands I don't think it offers many benefits.

I will put a few cents in here, as I have had a fait amount of experience with Gen5 Models 17, 19, 26 and 45 amongst others.
    1)For MYSELF, I lean to the G19. I am issued a G45MOS, and have a Holosun 509T on it(C&H plate). I personally own a G19 with a P1 ACRO. I have used both in some local matches. I can manipulate the G45(17 sized receiver) a bit more efficiently. But the 19 does everything pretty well. So, picking just one: G19.
    2&3)GLOCK-got it. The Gen5s have some significant, but positive, qualities. They field strip the same as earlier generations.
    4)My preference is as follows: enclosed emitters-ACRO first, then Holosun 509T, mostly due to better “glass”. The 1st gem Aimpoint has short battery life. I look forward to the supply of the second generation. The RMR is a fine sight, but my first and second choice is for an enclosed emitter; I believe they just are better overall. One could also look at the single lens Holosuns if price an issue. I am ok with a 3.5 moa dot. It’s what one trains and practices with; hopefully that’s part of this equation.
    5)Direct mill will give the best service-eliminates one potential problem. That said, I will stick with the MOS(and aftermarket plates) for the foreseeable future. Plenty of reputable machinists; no experience with Battlewerx...
    The BUIS that I install on my pistols is an Ameriglo plain black rear, with a subdued tritium front. The dot is not distracting, it could be useful in low light initially, as well as being useful in locating the pistol in the dark, e.g., a darkened hotel room.

Not much to add, but:

Battlewerx has done 2 of my G19 slides. Turn around time was good and the work is nice. I had them refinish one of them, and on the other I just slapped some cold blue on the cut. Both approaches seem to work fine.

I use the Ameriglo sights with .315 front sight. I like color on the front, but preferences will vary . They sit fairly low in the optic window.

I like G19 for EDC. A longer grip is hard to conceal for me.

I prefer the Holosun 507C to the RMR. I would like to try a SRO. as well. I think the ruggedness of the the RMR is probably overkill for most users, and comes at the expense of a smaller window. Removing the RMR to swap batteries is also a pain.

Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiry.

Again, I fully understand that this subject has been beat to death, and I appreciate those who have refrained from becoming impatient with questions that might have already been answered. But your responses are helpful and appreciated.

Looking forward to more input and opinions if you have them.

Take a look at the Agency Arms AOS. It puts the optic as low as direct mill, while giving you future flexibility. I have always had ATEI-cut slides, but after going with AOS on my g45, i can’t see any reason to direct mill.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Zev Duty slide lets you mount an RMR low enough to use 10-8 "regular" height irons, which are really about half way between normal and suppressor height.

Name:  IMG_4410.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  67.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4417.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  51.6 KB

FWIW, I have a G45 and 2 G19s - I never shoot and never even think about carrying the G45. Unless you have giant hands I don't think it offers many benefits.
    What is the front sight height on that setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    Take a look at the Agency Arms AOS. It puts the optic as low as direct mill, while giving you future flexibility. I have always had ATEI-cut slides, but after going with AOS on my g45, i can’t see any reason to direct mill.
    My concern with AOS is that it is purely proprietary. If Agency Arms goes TU you’re stuck with what you have and likely won’t be able to get plates for newer optics.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List