Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Glock EDC Quesions

Some Glock EDC Quesions

I am currently serving in a consulting/conceptual role to help make the best purchase decision for a pistol with an optic. A fairly narrow set of parameters have already been established for this expenditure.

The amount of information about Glock pistols, EDC pistols, and red dot sights on this Forum is outstanding, and more factual and intelligently based than any place on the internet today, IMHO.

To that end, I have turned to what I believe is the best source of input (P-F members) to help arrive at an intelligent plan to proceed with the purchase(s). Any and all responses will be kindly appreciated.

Here are the assumptions/parameters:
    1. Pistol will be primarily used for EDC, with occasional use in an IDPA and/or steel match
    2. Pistol will have a red dot optic sight with BUIS
    3. Pistol will be a Gen5 Glock G19 or G45. Shooter has extensive experience with many different Gen3 and Gen4 Glock pistols, but none with Gen5
    4. Leaning towards a Trijicon RMR Type 2 with 6.5 MOA dot. Shooter has experience with the following optics, and strongly prefers a 5 MOA or larger dot:
    Trijicon SRO
    Trijicon RMR (Early version)
    Leupold Deltapoint (Early version)
    Holosun 407K
    Holosun 507K X2
    5. Prefer a direct mount for the optic, to eliminate issues with mounting plates and screws as well as avoid overly tall BUIS
    Considering having Battlewerx mill the slide for the RMR and mount plain black 1/3 co-witness Ameriglo sights with rear sight behind optic

Here are the questions:
    1. Which pistol (G19 or G45?) Why did you choose the pistol you chose?
    2. Is there a better optic choice than the RMR Type 2 being considered? If so, what is it and why is it better?
    3. Is direct mount the way to go, assuming the flexibility of the Glock MOS is immaterial to the shooter? If not, why not?
    4. Is Battlewerx the correct choice for slide milling and mounting the optic and sights? If not, who is a better choice? Why?
    5. Is a plain black set of BUIS with 1/3 co-witness a wise choice for the the stated intended purpose? If there are better choices, what are they? Why?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Here are the questions:
    2. Is there a better optic choice than the RMR Type 2 being considered? If so, what is it and why is it better?
    3. Is direct mount the way to go, assuming the flexibility of the Glock MOS is immaterial to the shooter? If not, why not?
    4. Is Battlewerx the correct choice for slide milling and mounting the optic and sights? If not, who is a better choice? Why?
    5. Is a plain black set of BUIS with 1/3 co-witness a wise choice for the the stated intended purpose? If there are better choices, what are they? Why?
    1. There are entire threads about just this question. In my mind it comes down to the ability to conceal the full size G45 grip. If you CAN, then get the G45. If you CAN'T get the G19. I faced this exact question and I have 2 of each so I don't think I can be much more help there.
    2. I don't think there is a better option than the RMR Type 2. Some of the Holosun are considered to be as good, and can be "better" if you prefer their reticles or ability to change the battery without removing the optic. The ACRO P-2 is due out soon and has a closed emitter which would be an advantage over the RMR in some conditions, but would be harder to conceal. There are also entire threads on this topic, but it comes down to choosing the best optic for your specific parameters and not just the best in general.
    3. Direct mount is definitely the way to go. Some of the plate options available have made the MOS guns better than they were before, but they still have more failure points compared to direct milled.
    4. Battlewerx is a solid choice for slide milling. The biggest potential downside is that they use the Zev posts for the screws which does provide more thread depth, but can prevent you from using adapter plates to use other optics in the future (the RMR to Holosun 509t that is included with the 509t for example). I prefer ATEI or Jagerwerks to Battlewerx, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with Battlewerx.
    5. This is mostly preference, but I absolutely prefer black BUIS with an optic and want the height as low as I can get them and still be usable. I'm currently using the Ameriglo suppressor height sight with all of my RMR guns and am plenty happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    1. There are entire threads about just this question. In my mind it comes down to the ability to conceal the full size G45 grip. If you CAN, then get the G45. If you CAN'T get the G19. I faced this exact question and I have 2 of each so I don't think I can be much more help there.
    2. I don't think there is a better option than the RMR Type 2. Some of the Holosun are considered to be as good, and can be "better" if you prefer their reticles or ability to change the battery without removing the optic. The ACRO P-2 is due out soon and has a closed emitter which would be an advantage over the RMR in some conditions, but would be harder to conceal. There are also entire threads on this topic, but it comes down to choosing the best optic for your specific parameters and not just the best in general.
    3. Direct mount is definitely the way to go. Some of the plate options available have made the MOS guns better than they were before, but they still have more failure points compared to direct milled.
    4. Battlewerx is a solid choice for slide milling. The biggest potential downside is that they use the Zev posts for the screws which does provide more thread depth, but can prevent you from using adapter plates to use other optics in the future (the RMR to Holosun 509t that is included with the 509t for example). I prefer ATEI or Jagerwerks to Battlewerx, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with Battlewerx.
    5. This is mostly preference, but I absolutely prefer black BUIS with an optic and want the height as low as I can get them and still be usable. I'm currently using the Ameriglo suppressor height sight with all of my RMR guns and am plenty happy with them.
    Exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I almost hesitated to ask my questions, given the amount of info and number of threads that already exist on these subjects, but appreciate the patience. Some of the information is pretty dynamic and ever-changing, and sometimes the discussions cover way too many areas beyond my specific interest at this time. Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out.

The response from @dontshakepandas is so good. I don't think that I can meaningfully improve on it, but I can offer the perspective of having two 19.4 Rolands w/ direct mount RMRs.

1. The combination of an undercut and magwell on a 19 is absolutely necessary for me. Finding the SLR magwell, with its substantial pinky shelf, made a big difference over above even undercut & normal magwell for me. The full grip is objectively easier to shoot at a higher level, and the more compact grip is objectively easier to conceal under a broader range of circumstances. For primarily non-carry purposes, I'd go G45, but I'm ok with the 19.

2. Do you value the battery shelf and the different reticle options? If yes, Holosun, if no RMR. The closed emitter dots pay a real price in size for a concealment-focused gun.

3. Glock slides are cheap- I'm a direct mill fan.

4. I've used ATEI & Jagerwerks for installs, but I imagine that any reputable, experienced company would do a good job. As long as I'm seeing posts, I'm happy.

5. Total concur w/ earlier poster in that being able to just barely see the irons is where I want them (lower 1/10th, is how I've heard it described). Lower 1/3 isn't bad, but it does obstruct a lot of window, and I like window. I'm curious to try a front sight with some color, but I'm not unhappy with the black.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    1. G19 if it's a one gun solution, both if it's in the budget. I got a G45 to see why everyone was saying it's flatter shooting (it is to me), and as a suppressor host since it seems to balance better than a G19 with a can
    2. Holosuns seem to be getting better as time goes by, and they're no longer considered just another budget brand, but I still prefer RMRs due to their reputation and service life. I also prefer the 6.5 MOA RMR dot size, though I haven't looked through a Holosun with a circle-dot reticle yet
    3. Direct mount for all the previously posted reasons
    4. I've moved completely over to Jagerwerks due to the quality of their work as well as how cheap they do milling when you catch a sale You can buy the service and set it aside for a slide down the road. I've got orders for two slides that I have yet to buy/send in. I've also used Maple Leaf Firearms in the past. The work was good, and they have a package where they can deepen the rear serrations and add front serrations if it's an older slide. I don't like all the crazy slide work and like to keep it as simple as possible.
    5. I'm in the lower 1/3 irons forward camp mainly because the sights don't block the dot, but the additional optic protection is nice. I'm also about to try a black rear with green fiber optic front to see if it'll help when I lose the dot in awkward positions.

I’ll just add that I think the aftermarket plates from FCD and CHPWS do much to close the performance gap between the factory MOS options and a direct mill.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I am currently serving in a consulting/conceptual role to help make the best purchase decision for a pistol with an optic. A fairly narrow set of parameters have already been established for this expenditure.

The amount of information about Glock pistols, EDC pistols, and red dot sights on this Forum is outstanding, and more factual and intelligently based than any place on the internet today, IMHO.

To that end, I have turned to what I believe is the best source of input (P-F members) to help arrive at an intelligent plan to proceed with the purchase(s). Any and all responses will be kindly appreciated.

Here are the assumptions/parameters:
    1. Pistol will be primarily used for EDC, with occasional use in an IDPA and/or steel match
    2. Pistol will have a red dot optic sight with BUIS
    3. Pistol will be a Gen5 Glock G19 or G45. Shooter has extensive experience with many different Gen3 and Gen4 Glock pistols, but none with Gen5
    4. Leaning towards a Trijicon RMR Type 2 with 6.5 MOA dot. Shooter has experience with the following optics, and strongly prefers a 5 MOA or larger dot:
    Trijicon SRO
    Trijicon RMR (Early version)
    Leupold Deltapoint (Early version)
    Holosun 407K
    Holosun 507K X2
    5. Prefer a direct mount for the optic, to eliminate issues with mounting plates and screws as well as avoid overly tall BUIS
    Considering having Battlewerx mill the slide for the RMR and mount plain black 1/3 co-witness Ameriglo sights with rear sight behind optic

Here are the questions:

Thanks!
    1. I have 2 g19's and 2 g45's with trijicon rmr's. I shoot a g45 in uspsa and will be getting one issued for duty soon. The g45 is my favorite glock. It shoots really well and I prefer the full grip over the 19.

2. I have 5 rmr type 2's. The 6.5 moa version is perfect in my opinion. I don't view the window size of the optic as an issue. I would rather have the durability. I also have a holosun and prefer the rmr over them due to slight distortion on the edges of the holosun.

3. Direct mill is the best option in most people's opinion due to less failure points

4. I have used jagerwerks for 3 of my slides and would recommend them to anyone.

5. Blacked out lower 1/3rd is definitely the way to go. Anything other than blacked out sights are too much of a distraction in my opinion.

Can’t go wrong

I think most of the answers to your questions don’t really have a “best” answer since it’ll come down to personal preference.

Here are some Pro/Cons knowing that it’s all just splitting hairs.

Shadow Systems MR920 is like a Glock but with a better grip texture and ability to change pointing angle with the back straps. It also has an optic mount system where you can direct bolt an optic to the slide.

If they’re really a good dot shooter, the RMR is a good choice. If they have an imprecise index, the larger reticle of the Holosun 507c/k can help them locate and track the dot.

RMR has one of the best auto-adjust light sensor which is important in a carry gun to me. The Holosun light adjust on the 507c isn’t as good, the 507k doesn’t auto-adjust at all.

But the 507k is so low profile that it can use stock iron sights, which also reduces snag of suppressor height sights.

If his index is wobbly, could consider a different color front fiber sight with a low co-witness. I have this setup on my carry gun and I have never confused the dot with the fiber but it leaves me fully functional irons if the dot goes down.

This is with a 507k with a front fiber sight for backup.

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. It's encouraging to hear that the preliminary planning done appears to be generally aligning with the opinions of others. I look forward to more input, including any that might be significantly different than what has been discussed so far.

If one was very familiar with the G19, would the 17 be a bit of a departure or do they shoot very similar? I’ve noticed the full size grip definitely feels a little different. In my small hands anyway.

User Tag List