Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Me on Knife Points

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

School Me on Knife Points

So Cold Steel is making some "Mini-Leatherneck" knives with three different styles of point: Tanto, spearpoint and clip-point.

I can sort of see that if one needs to get all stabby, that the spearpoint might be a good one. But what are the advantages and disadvantages of these different points?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

First off, why would you want any of these? Is there something you are looking for a fixed blade for?

Americanized tanto is the least "practical". It has a reinforced tip for piercing, (allegedly), but is more of a hassle to sharpen and not the best for general use.

The spear is a good general use pattern, (not necessarily in this incarnation), which has a useful tip which is well supported so not fragile while still be practical for most uses.

The clip has a sharp tip and good amount of belly for various usages. It also has a higher grind than the the spear which means you should be able to have a thinner edge and also a longer lasting knife, assuming it gets sharpened on a regular basis.

Of the three I see in the image, the clip looks like the best choice for all around use...unless you have some specific usage in mind...like stabbing car doors or ninjas in body armor.

(Personally, I think you could do better elsewhere...but that's a different matter.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The spear point is good if your focus is a fighting, stabby, stabby knife. The clip point is better for an all around use knife. The tanto is a gimmic, just like most of Cold Steel's line.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Pointy part goes in the bad guy.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    The question that Blues asked is very much worth considering: what is your intended use? I would add: does the sheath support your intended use, or if not, is an appropriate aftermarket sheath available? With fixed blades, the carry system often impacts the overall usefulness more than the knife itself.

Tip strength is likely to be impacted the most by increasing the thinnest dimension - the thickness. Tanto points attempt to increase strength by increasing width, which is not the thinnest dimension. Thinning the width would seem to improve penetration.

I am a fan of spear points for the balance of tip strength and reduced tip width. However, others above made good points about the other tip designs.

The last time I had to use a knife in an emergency, I had to work the tip in between my son's finger and a ribbon that he has managed to twist/knot around it. I really appreciate a thin blade width at the tip for the ability to do such things.

Regarding Cold Steel, they provide a very good product at a good price. Unlike many other companies, they have historically been willing to put it to the test and show you the results. Having spent much money on knives which turned out to be less than their marketing hype, I really appreciate this, and that is why the knife in my pocket as I type this is from Cold Steel.

As unrepentantly knifey as I am, there really isn’t much that I can say that @blues either didn’t, or will.

#I’mwithhim
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I don't knife fight so I find full guards like those feature to be detrimental to my needs... The top guard only serves to get in the way of my thumb.

Bill, I don't know if the new Cold Steel is the same as Lynn Thompson's Cold Steel. So there is that to consider as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    My experience (which is very small compared to others here) is that Tanto points are the Best point you can have - until you actually need to use it for anything useful. But they do look cool and my Emerson folder is part of my retirement plan.

After my silly love affair with the Tanto in my 20s, I have reached the point where the Clip and especially related Drop point are what I look for and buy. They are useful for almost all everyday knife used and should I ever have to use it in a fight and loose - it won’t be the point that gets me killed in the street.

Of the blades shown I guess it comes down to purpose. If was going to buy one for looks than I’d go with the Tanto, if I was going to use it as a hunting/field knife, I’d get the Clip point. I guess if I was going to channel my inner Applegate - I’d get the spear point.

ETA - the Tanto point shown looks pretty sturdy. I have a few Tantos that have long sharp profiles that give me the feeling they are too fragile for rough use. I like my Tanto points on the blunt side like this one, but that might make them less effective against ninjas.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 06-24-2021 at 04:19 PM.

I tend to like clip points.

Tantos vary a lot.
    DB Strider is a sharp pry bar.
    Osaraku points (James Williams Designs) are quite stabby and penetrate with little effort.

Tip strength and easy stabbing are opposites.

I like the Joe Watson Kidon well for piercing. Sort of a single edge clip point.

User Tag List