Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: School Me on Knife Points

Site Supporter
    A retired police Lieutenant on another forum pointed out that when they are looking for stabbing suspects, the first thing they look for is cuts on the hands. The context of his post was advocating reverse grip with the thumb over the end of the knife. However, it is also a very good reason to have a handle that is properly designed to retain the hand on the knife. The number of knives I have seen that are suboptimal in this regard is disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    This is the reason I like Spyderco folders- specifically the ones with pronounced spine cusps, choils, and jimping- safer for me.Name:  spydercos&czp-07.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  94.8 KB

Regarding guards, profiles, and whatnot, at first blush I just assumed that Cold Steel was trying for a 'modernized' miniaturized USMC Ka-Bar..... with a couple other blade styles as options.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Osaraku points (James Williams Designs) are quite stabby and penetrate with little effort.
    While a little too-weeby my “big” NPE knife is the hissatsu folder and I like the Williams design a lot. I’ve been eyeing the Williams/Lionsteel folders for awhile.

Outside of that particular design I have little desire for any tanto-ish things.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Might the double edged "spear point" constitute a banned "dirk or dagger" in some places?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Might the double edged "spear point" constitute a banned "dirk or dagger" in some places?
    Almost certainly.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Thoughts on the reverse tango style blade like a benchmade 940? Useful ? I’ve never seen one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Thoughts on the reverse tango style blade like a benchmade 940? Useful ? I’ve never seen one in person.
    It's one of the few Benchmade blade profiles I really like:
    Name:  945_03.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  10.4 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's one of the few Benchmade blade profiles I really like:
    Name:  945_03.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  10.4 KB

I like that! The edge looks useful for everyday cutting tasks while the point looks nice and stabby yet robust. Almost like a drop point and an American tanto had a love child.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    My only gripe with Tantos involves sharpening them or more accurately, attempting to sharpen, fucking up the transition, and reprofiling. Tiny brains can only handle so much.
    Maybe it's just because I'm a dirty heathen who does it wrong*, but I don't bother trying to sharpen the transition area. Instead, I treat the tip and belly as distinct edges to sharpen. Which makes the tanto a far more utilitarian blade for me, because when I use and dull the tip doing mundane things, I can easily touch it up with a strop or stone.

I find it one sharpens up to the transition on both sides, it results in a nice pointy transition that is sharp and also has a slight hook to it that allows for easy pull cuts.

Count me as one of the people that views the American Tanto as a useful design. But I also find wharncliffes useful and a lot of folks don't.

*Unpossible, since we know I never do anything wrong.

User Tag List