Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me off the ledge, please (P320/P365/Glock content)

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You're a dumbass if you do. How's that?
    Could not have said it better myself.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    As I mentioned, I’d only be considering manual safety versions even if they had to be built up from FCUs. And I’ve been down the 1911 hole - I was mostly 1911 from the late 70s until the early 90s, and still keep them around. I’m not comfortable with them as threat management tools anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Understand the concern about the 1911 for threat management. Only wondering what's different between a 1911 and a SAO striker with a safety? Take a look at the exploded parts diagrams on the P320, specifically the miniscule size of the striker-foot-to-sear engagement, and consider that it's a mass-produced pistol.
    I’m with psalms144 on this one, I don’t see a difference between a 320 and 1911 when it comes to people management, unless you had a 2lb trigger job on all of your 1911’s. It’s also my belief that a 4.5-5lb trigger with some take up on a 1911 is still a better than most any handgun trigger out there.

If you can’t tell, I’m on the 2lb triggers with no takeup are stupid on anything except a bench rifle that’s never loaded unless it’s sitting in a vice pointed down range.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    That seems like a lot of money and time to invest to end up back where you already are: with a full complement of carry and match guns and gear that are all fully vetted by burning through a bunch of (really) expensive ammunition.

I’m not convinced that the SIGs are better mousetraps. So, I would enjoy the new X5 you got a deal on, use the Glocks for everything that you are using them for, and buy ammo instead of new guns.

Plus, no SCD, so the manual safety choice is wise. But I stopped carrying MS guns, and won’t start again.

I currently shoot Glock and outside of short stints with other platforms it has been my primary pistol of choice for the last decade. I currently have a 17 G5 MOS that works great. Not that it is perfect but has performed well for me. I have stuck with Glock because they are simple and I generally hate being the special snow flake. However in my area the winds change, they are a blow in’. In my recent red dot course, of 25 shooters I was the only one not shooting a P320. I have become the snowflake. I was also the only one that had a problem with optics mounting working loose during the class when using a 509T and CHPWS plate.

I have been exposed to the P320 and have seen quite a few of them run fairly hard. They have problems but so do Glocks and everything else. I agree that the ejector being part of the FCU is a horrible design decision. I have also never seen it be a problem in person. I have seen a pair of P320s have a trigger that failed to reset in cold weather. However my own previous 17 G5 had the trigger components completely degraded to the point of having a gritty 10 pound trigger across the first 2000 rounds and accompanying dry fire. Cleaning didn’t help and the parts had to be replaced. Haven’t had that problem again. My sole remaining concern with the P320 is safety. I carry a 19x appendix and I just don’t trust a P320 to fill that roll.

I have had a pair of P320 compacts that were gifted to me at different times in the past but have sold them for one reason or another. I just picked up P320 Pro LDC to see how it works out for me. Gross, I know.

One thing of note is that while pistol-forum is very skeptical of the P320 and sig in general, in most other places, the P320 enjoys a good reputation.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 06-24-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Take it from someone that doesn’t get to shoot a lot, gets antsy and leaves glock over and over and then sucks with every new platform…stick with Glock, or whatever platform you have run for years. Unless you’re getting free ammo and hours of range time.

I want to like my SIG M17.

I just don’t trust it.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Started with glocks - still have glocks. Don't want other handguns. Was once vaguely tempted, now well over that phase.

The very first 9mm I ever bought was a Gen 3 Glock 19 that is currently getting milled for an RMR cut so I can keep shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I have been exposed to the P320 and have seen quite a few of them run fairly hard. They have problems but so do Glocks and everything else. I agree that the ejector being part of the FCU is a horrible design decision. I have also never seen it be a problem in person.
    Name:  E750AA7B-3733-4E34-8490-5EDDD0F232EA.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  36.1 KB

I have lived it. Had a compact grip module and slammed a 17 round mag into the frame on a slide lock reload. Bent the ejector up far enough that the slide would not close. I remediate by removing the mag and beating the slide closed. Re inserted and racked and the slide would not close without me palm smacking it multiple times. Which made it a single shot pistol. Fire, it would eject and on attempting to chamber, the slide would drag on the bent up ejector and not go into battery. Palm smack into battery, fire, repeat the issue. But I did manage to finish the course of fire, one round at a time.

In that pic I had already began to bend the ejector back down on the corner of a table before I decided to snap a photo.

I sent it to Sig, and they replaced the whole pistol.

Now I just use the full size grip module and avoid the compact grip…. Which kind of defeats the modularity thing I wanted.

But I still carry a 365 daily and have a 320 for when I want a full size gun on duty. I just realize it’s limitations and work around them.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Student
    I'd rather you spend the money on training and ammunition. You'd stand to gain more improvements there than whatever you would gain from changing to a different pistol line.

Y’all are making a strong case for staying the course with a Glock.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List