Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me off the ledge, please (P320/P365/Glock content)

Talk me off the ledge, please (P320/P365/Glock content)

I’m fully invested in Glocks for defensive pistols, and have been for years (1993-2006, 2011-present.) I know how they work, am comfortable with my ability to maintain them, and shoot most of them well. I have too damn many of them, actually. My daily carry currently rotates between a 43, a 26.5, a 27.5 and occasionally when I’m feeling trendy a 19.5 MOS with RMR.

I’ve generally ignored the SIG striker guns because of their engineering churn, unavailability of something like a SCD and the greatly increased parts complexity.

So, of course I bought a SIG. It was a total impulse purchase - a P320 X5 Legion - and it will be a range toy.

I live near the SIG Academy and their pro shop and attended a P320 test drive event where, much to my surprise, I found I shot a few different P320s and P365s quite well. While I was there (twice in the last week) I’ve also handled (but not shot) the XCompact. The price they offered on the X5 Legion after I shot it really well was more than I could resist.

Now I’m wondering if I should move over to SIGs for defensive guns. I could easily get by with a total of three or so SIGs for defense - a XCompact (taking the place of the 19), a P365 (replacing the 43) and a P365XL (replacing the 48 I currently rarely carry.)

I have too many guns, but the others are really all toys - the Glocks are what stay loaded and are trusted for carry. If I go SIG, it will be all in and the Glocks I keep would become range toys.

I would only consider SIGs with manual safeties for defense (the X5 doesn’t count, but I may add a MS for consistency) so I’d probably have to build the XCompact up from parts using a M17/M18 FCU. The P365s are already available with what appears from my handling to be a usable manual safety.

Am I nuts for considering a move from a pistol series that is about as simple to maintain as a factory produced zipgun to one that has a gazillion parts and a spotty history of continuous product correction?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I did it... switched to MS 365 and MS 320 for two years. Shot them better than my Glocks though I can shoot Glocks certainly well enough for typical civilian concealed carry.
    But I felt like a dirty whore the whole time selling out to faster drill times that aren't necessarily needed for civilian carry. Indian MIM rinky-dink FCUs, SIGs eff-U on the 320 drop issues and just general shittyness since Cohen.
    Unfortunately I had stupidly sold all my Glocks after a year in the experiment and had to buy some back. Not all bad b/c I replaced Gen3/4 with Gen5 and like them much better.

So I say you should try it if you want to but don't sell your Glocks. Also consider that you may never miss your manual safety during practice, but as I read on here somewhere, if something else happens during your practiced draw stroke you can miss it.

BTW, my 320s ran fine. With my 365s I did experience failures to feed with 115 GD and 147HST when using the manual slide release method. Magazine springs get tired sooner abd start causing feed issues with HPs.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    Both? I carry a G19 with RMR and TLR7. When I need something smaller it's a P365.

You know the old saying. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    I would pay heed to it.

P365

I started on Glocks.

Current compete with CZ and the grip angle translates over to the P365X.

I don’t own a 320 and chose to do a Shadow Systems MR920 instead of a G19.

Basically a Glock but with a similar grip angle to the CZ.

@HeavyDuty, I went down that rabbit hole and clawed my way back out, about $2000 poorer. As you already know, the p320 has some design 'features' that make it a PIA to detail strip. The product line has numerous, partially incompatible versions, and Sig continues to complicate the system with no end in sight. Some aspects, like a non-replaceable ejector that can be bent by magazine over insertion (destroying the FCU) are especially troubling.

That said, I know a bunch of serious competitors, and LEOs who are very happy with their p320s. The guns shoot very well, and are quite reliable. The ergos work well for a lot of people, and the p320 seems easier to shoot well than a Glock.

The p365 seems to be a very good gun, and I think it's a more mature design.

@JCN, that's interesting what you say about grip angle. In my hands the Shadow2 and P-07/09 feel more similar to a Glock than a Sig. I can go back and forth between Glock and CZ with no index issues. p320 grip angles are more 1911-like to me, and that feels weird because I'm not used to it. I have never handled the 365XL. Is the grip angle different from the 320?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I went down the same rabbit hole as Clusterfrack. I had been through several different striker handguns over the years, starting with Gen 3 Glocks, and had settled on teh FNS model for carry and home. Then I looked into the P320 and ended up going all in. Got a sub-compact 9, Compact 9, X-Carry, M17 and Full szie tac-ops 9mm. Then the "upgrade" happened. I really had no issue with sending all my guns back. I just got tired of constant changes and in the end decided to go DA/SA leading me to CZ and Beretta. I kept the M17 and sold off the rest of my P320s along with mags and holsters. I speak with many LEO that acrry and love them along with others as well. They do shoot great, but just not for me. I would really think it over before stepping away from a pistol you have used for years, know very well and trust.

I’m not a fan of the 320, but have you tested them (Glock vs Sig) head to head over several range sessions? With different courses of fire? Someone can dig up information regarding the “new gun” phenomena or the “honeymoon” period that many can experience when switching pistols for a brief period of time. I’ve fallen for it too, and came out poorer because of it. Like Brian Enos says - don’t be deluded.

I shoot metal frame CZ’s currently, and it was a circular path away from them and then back to them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Is there something you don't like about the Glocks that the Sigs would improve upon? I.e. you don't shoot the Glocks as well, you really want a manual safety anyway, etc.?

Also, be careful drawing comparisons between big comfy guns set up for the range and carry guns. Not really fair to compare your smaller Glocks to that.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    I’m not a fan of the 320, but have you tested them (Glock vs Sig) head to head over several range sessions? With different courses of fire? Someone can dig up information regarding the “new gun” phenomena or the “honeymoon” period that many can experience when switching pistols for a brief period of time. I’ve fallen for it too, and came out poorer because of it. Like Brian Enos says - don’t be deluded.

I shoot metal frame CZ’s currently, and it was a circular path away from them and then back to them.
    I are an analyst. If this ever happens, it would be after a long period of side by side shooting. I’m not about to dump the Glocks and replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Is there something you don't like about the Glocks that the Sigs would improve upon? I.e. you don't shoot the Glocks as well, you really want a manual safety anyway, etc.?

Also, be careful drawing comparisons between big comfy guns set up for the range and carry guns. Not really fair to compare your smaller Glocks to that.
    The trigger and overall feel. And it may very well end up where P320s are my range toys and I stay with Glock for serious social use.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List