Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vibratite vs Loc-tite

The first time I used vibratite, I squirted it on and screwed the screws in. Then I read the directions. Oh…

I’ve used it twice since, as directed, and so far no issues.

I'm going to be uncharacteristically brutal to hopefully address this issue once and for all. This is not directed at anyone. This is purely as a result of my annoyance with Vibra-Tite, the brand. First, let's start with a quote:

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it;
    but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind;
    it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science, whatever the matter may be.

- Lord Kelvin (3 May 1883)
    Whatever the matter may be, indeed. It's for that same reason that those who have not ever trained with shot timers are also wrong, but I digress. When it comes to torquing fasteners for critical applications, anything but precise specifications is equivalent to rolling the dice. Let's compare VC3 vs. Loctite 248.

Reference:
    Vibra-Tite VC3 Technical Data Sheet
    Loctite 248 Technical Data Sheet

Name:  vibra-tite-vc3.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  57.7 KB Name:  loctite-248.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  62.8 KB

Or in other words, let me put it into a more relatable meme form:

Name:  vibra-tite-loctite-meme.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  60.5 KB

My position is, VC3 is hobbyist-grade. Maybe fine for low stress applications like holster screws. Loctite is trustworthy because they're transparent about the specifications of their product, so it is a known quantity. I wouldn't be as annoyed with Vibra-Tite, however in their own marketing they tout it as legitimate for more critical applications like automotive, but without detailed specifications available. That's like using an impact gun to install the head bolts on your engine.

My vote is Loctite 248 ("blue", stick form; I'm lazy, and these are so convenient!) or 242/243 ("blue", liquid form; 243 is a more oil-resistant form of 242, but either are fine). There are probably scores of other legitimate options on the market, but start here with either of these forms of Loctite blue and keep it simple.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Vibratite and Loctite are completely different in how they accomplish their assignment. The assignment is the same but they go about it in different ways.

Vibratite is a semi hard "sticky goo" that is SUPPOSED to fill the clearance between the thread and act as a vibration dampener which definitely will prevent a screw from backing out. As has already been stated, the problem is with small very fine threads it's really easy to get too much on and then the screw just threads itself through the material due to interference resulting in not having any down in the threads where it needs to be.

Loctite is a straight up adhesive.

I've used Vibratite very successfully but on really small screws such as these I just use Loctite just because it easier to get good results.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm out here putting Rocksett on everything.
    I accidentally ended up with 4 ounces of the stuff, which is about a 4 lifetime supply. I've been looking non-muzzle device uses with no luck. I think it will sit on the shelf next to my tub of moly grease until the day I die.

Have tried vibra multiple times. More than often it seems to fail.

In my job I have always trusted loctite. And outside of pistol mounted plates and holsters. I use loctite for smithing. I have went back to using blue loctite for almost everything but holsters. Vibra works okay for that.

Loctite and let that sit over night. Easy. Works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List