Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Careful, the following post was in that fnforum thread:

"The FNX and FNS 9mm mags are different dimensions and are NOT interchangeable. The FNS and FNX 40 mags are the same.
    Hope that helps. "

I for one wouldn't want to gamble on the mags being interchangeable unless officially mentioned by FNH itself.

Very good advice. This was on the next couple pages of that thread.

Picked up my FNS-9 today.

As far as the magazines are concerned, the FNS-9 mags will not fit in the FNX-9. My FNX-9 magazines will fit in the FNS-9, but they are a little loose......

I shoot both FNX and FNS. Ther FNX will fot in the FNS and shoot but it is a touch loose. The FNS magazine will not enter the FNX.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I hope the OP is happy with his purchase. Stay Safe!

Cheers
    Ken
    Last edited by HighSpeedBail; 06-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedBail View Post
    You have a way with words Rob I understand your thought process and I guess it makes sense for someone who's an absolute beginner.

However I don't expect everyone to be a sheep.
    I don't think it's fair to say that choosing an established, well supported mainstay of the shooting world over the latest "new thing" makes one a sheep. In fact, as a general rule I think people tend to favor established performance over new and untested. The FNS may well become the greatest invention in living history and I for one think that would be awesome... because it means something even better than what is already established out there on the market.

But until that time, I'd have to agree that all else being equal the established product line is going to be an easier buy-in for a beginner. Parts are everywhere. Armorers are everywhere. Everyone he bumps into will own one, know how to shoot it, and have spares of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedBail View Post
    You have a way with words Rob I understand your thought process and I guess it makes sense for someone who's an absolute beginner.

However I don't expect everyone to be a sheep.

I hope your enjoying your Honda Civic.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say that choosing an established, well supported mainstay of the shooting world over the latest "new thing" makes one a sheep. In fact, as a general rule I think people tend to favor established performance over new and untested. The FNS may well become the greatest invention in living history and I for one think that would be awesome... because it means something even better than what is already established out there on the market.

But until that time, I'd have to agree that all else being equal the established product line is going to be an easier buy-in for a beginner. Parts are everywhere. Armorers are everywhere. Everyone he bumps into will own one, know how to shoot it, and have spares of everything.

First off, I must say I've been a big fan of yours for a long time. I've enjoyed your firearm tests, your posts and knowledge for the last couple of years and have been lurking around here for a while and hope to continue to learn in this community.

In regards to my post I just figured one obnoxious post deserved another.

I've been around here long enough to know that the majority of people communicate well and that there's a black sheep in every bunch.

HAhahahaa

Ken

HK P2000SK - Completely Satisfied

Ok, so yes I am new to the gun world. I am also a research and evaluate kind of person (actually do this for a living) I was at the same place until a few weeks ago. I tested approximately 13 different pistols (and one revolver that kicked like a mule) and through process of elimination I narrowed down my choice to a HK P2000SK. I really liked the glock 19, extremely accurate shot, but like everything else I googled, I read forum material, everything I could get my hands on to either buy into it or eliminate it. I made the decision to eliminate for one reason only. Glock is having a lot of problems, (so are a few other mfgs). I did not want my first experience with a pistol to be challenging because of the mfg problems. I knew that I was going to be challenged in defensive classes etc as I am starting from scratch.. a mfg problem on top of the learning curve?? - I'll pass..
    I did however compare all other pistols to the Glock 19. Why because it had less recoil, where I aimed is where it shot, it was a good fit for my hand, and I really like the sights. Then I shot the HK P2000SK. The HK had less recoiled than any other pistol I tested, including the glock 19. It felt good in my hand, I shot it well, sights are nice.. but, the recoiled is significantly less. Very nice!
    With that said, I would recommend the following. Take a few defensive classes. Try different guns, one per class. Narrow it down. But wait to invest until you know the following: (1) what is your goal. (2) how do you want to carry (and this is a big deal). (3) what is the primary purpose of this gun, ie. house, car, CCW etc. Once you answer these questions, you will be able to evaluate, narrow down and find a gun that you will be happy with. I personally will not CCW the HK, I am looking for an extra-sub-compact pistol. However, I have no desire to take classes with a super small gun. The recoiled is too great to shoot through 100-200 round per class. My HK is my learning tool. The super-compact (that I am still searching for) will be my CCW, and the HK will travel between my car, and home.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Srobin

Site Supporter
    Picked one up with a test fire date in early June. It ate 50 rounds of 115 gr Federal Champion without a hiccup, although I did get a couple of 6:00 ejections. I hope to hit the range again in a few days and try some 124 gr American Eagle ammo.

If I wanted to upgrade the sights, what would you recommend? I don't need anything fancy, but would like something which would help me differentiate the rear sight from the front sight. The white "u' around the stock rear sight seems to blend into a smudge when I'm shooting and focusing on the front sight.

Also, if you have a Glock which can take different size magazines, how did you decide which size magazines to add to your collection? What were your thoughts if you decided to add some 17 round or 19 round magazines to your collection instead of buying the stock 15 round magazines?

For sights I like the trijicon hd's, or ameriglo defoor's with the front blade getting a coat of glonation paint.

For my g19 I started with 5 15 round mags. I then picked up 6 17 round magazines for range use. That turned out well for me as I then bought a g17. Mags are really personal preference, I rarely load them to capacity at the range, but when I go home they all get loaded to capacity and placed back in my range bag.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by srobin View Post
    Ok, so yes I am new to the gun world. I am also a research and evaluate kind of person (actually do this for a living) I was at the same place until a few weeks ago. I tested approximately 13 different pistols (and one revolver that kicked like a mule) and through process of elimination I narrowed down my choice to a HK P2000SK. I really liked the glock 19, extremely accurate shot, but like everything else I googled, I read forum material, everything I could get my hands on to either buy into it or eliminate it. I made the decision to eliminate for one reason only. Glock is having a lot of problems, (so are a few other mfgs). I did not want my first experience with a pistol to be challenging because of the mfg problems. I knew that I was going to be challenged in defensive classes etc as I am starting from scratch.. a mfg problem on top of the learning curve?? - I'll pass..
    I did however compare all other pistols to the Glock 19. Why because it had less recoil, where I aimed is where it shot, it was a good fit for my hand, and I really like the sights. Then I shot the HK P2000SK. The HK had less recoiled than any other pistol I tested, including the glock 19. It felt good in my hand, I shot it well, sights are nice.. but, the recoiled is significantly less. Very nice!
    With that said, I would recommend the following. Take a few defensive classes. Try different guns, one per class. Narrow it down. But wait to invest until you know the following: (1) what is your goal. (2) how do you want to carry (and this is a big deal). (3) what is the primary purpose of this gun, ie. house, car, CCW etc. Once you answer these questions, you will be able to evaluate, narrow down and find a gun that you will be happy with. I personally will not CCW the HK, I am looking for an extra-sub-compact pistol. However, I have no desire to take classes with a super small gun. The recoiled is too great to shoot through 100-200 round per class. My HK is my learning tool. The super-compact (that I am still searching for) will be my CCW, and the HK will travel between my car, and home.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Srobin
    IMO this is a recipe for getting nowhere. I see the equivalent with ARs all the time. Constantly changing parts, constantly changing that, always chasing perfect. It doesn't work, and never will.

Buy, shoot, shoot more, shoot even more, evaluate along the way, assess, act accordingly.

We're not talking about cars here, we're talking about $500 guns.

This may have been said somewhere previously in the thread, and if so, sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

It really doesn't matter what platform you choose, because what you are developing is your shooting skills, and not your buying skills. Buy a Glock, or whatever else floats your boat, ideally a spare, and a truck load of 9mm ammo. Learn to shoot whatever you bought. Once you develop shooting skills, you can apply those skills to whatever hardware you want.

Quote Originally Posted by srobin View Post
    Hope this is helpful.
    Srobin
    What are you seeking that will be smaller and as reliable as the P2000SK? IMO, when you go smaller, you not only sacrifice the number of rounds on hand, but you also sacrifice reliability. If you can't dress around a P2000SK you are either using a crappy holster, crappy belt, or you are wearing daisy dukes with a halter top.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    What are you seeking that will be smaller and as reliable as the P2000SK? IMO, when you go smaller, you not only sacrifice the number of rounds on hand, but you also sacrifice reliability. If you can't dress around a P2000SK you are either using a crappy holster, crappy belt, or you are wearing daisy dukes with a halter top.
    +1 here!!!!

User Tag List