Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

While I realize that I said it doesn't matter what you buy, I think the below is a horrible suggestion for someone starting out. They will have a hard time finding any support whatsoever for that gun. That includes spare parts, magazines, holsters, etc. If the OP, or anyone else, showed up in a class I was attending or teaching I'd have everything spare, up to and including the gun itself, for a Glock to loan, and I will be aquiring similar support, minus the gun, for the M&P for classes I teach. As an instructor there's no way I'll start stocking support for oddball choices, and as a student you are unlikely to find another student in a class with the same gun as you, and therefore help for you, if you choose something other than the Glock or M&P. MAYBE factor in the XD.

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedBail View Post
    First off, I am confident you will be happy with whatever gun you purchase. All are very well respected brands and keep in mind everyone is different. I hate to make your decision even more difficult but you may want to take a look at the:

FNH FNS Website

This is a review written by a die hard glock fan on the FNH FNS .40

Good Luck
    Ken

one of the reasons why I sold my FNS-9

little or absolutely ZERO equipment support for the FNS

I'm really glad I switched to a Glock 19 Gen 4. Fortunately my Feb 2012 gun has run well out of the box so far. I no longer have worries about parts or accessories being available. Mags are less expensive than most and readily available. It's a good feeling to be on a common platform with tons of aftermarket support and lots of knowledgeable and experienced people to help out if trouble crops up. I like having an "industry standard" that most guns are compared to when described. Glock is the chicken in "tastes like chicken" comparisons.

Site Supporter
    After a little more reading, here's what I think I'll get:

Glock 19
    Two 17 round magazines to accompany the three 15 round magazines that come with the pistol
    Wilderness instructor belt, 5-stitch model
    Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe holster and mag carrier for IWB carry
    Comp-tac or Sidearmor OWB holster and mag carrier

This seems like it should start me out on the right footing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cosine View Post

Glock 19
    Two 17 round magazines to accompany the three 15 round magazines that come with the pistol

You can't go wrong with the Wilderness belt.

They're quality, I've had the stitching come out of the tongue, where the velcro happens, but my brother and father haven't experienced that.

But I'd agree with rob_s' on analysis paralysis, and just say, buy a gun you can afford, shoot it alot and see what you think.

I would suggest a single spare magazine carrier, if you were going to go with a double (it's not clear which you went with), but other then that... even how you carry, you won't know until you know.

I thought I'd love appendix carry, I bought an Comp-Tac AIWB 2 o'clock to hold me over until my Shaggy arrives for my Glock 17 Gen 4 (I bit the bullet and went with it, I've taken a brass casing or two to the face, but... it's at around 450-500 rounds of shooting before I cleaned it and it functions fine), so far, I hate this holster and I mean hate it. I loath that holster, it gouges me in the stomach, and I don't shave my chest/stomach, but... it snatches hair too.

I wouldn't say I'm a pudgy guy, but I'm thinking if I beveled off the sweat guard, I'd be happier, I just might, because... it makes carrying the gun uncomfortable, and I don't carry it for that reason.

ETA: I'd also agree with rob_s (maybe not in the same tone), but to avoid the FN FNS, as much as the gun looks great... get a gun you can have serviced locally, find parts and equipment for starting out.

I wouldn't recommend an something as exotic choice as a first handgun, a piece of advice, I avoided, and I regret it but hey, you live and you learn.

Quote Originally Posted by cosine View Post

Glock 19

Not sure if you meant IWB mag carriers or not, and if you do I would say "no", but otherwise yes, go buy this right now.

All this crap that we see discussed, and discuss, on the internet really, really doesn't matter even 1/100th as much as the volume of discussion would seem to indicate.

Not really.

To follow the analogy a bit further, you've chosen your shoes and socks. What you really need, as Rob has pointed out, is a trainer to show you how to dance, now that you've got the shoes.

Otherwise, you are like a guy who has purchased a piano but no lessons.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Not really.

To follow the analogy a bit further, you've chosen your shoes and socks. What you really need, as Rob has pointed out, is a trainer to show you how to dance, now that you've got the shoes.

Otherwise, you are like a guy who has purchased a piano but no lessons.
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    While I realize that I said it doesn't matter what you buy, I think the below is a horrible suggestion for someone starting out. They will have a hard time finding any support whatsoever for that gun. That includes spare parts, magazines, holsters, etc. If the OP, or anyone else, showed up in a class I was attending or teaching I'd have everything spare, up to and including the gun itself, for a Glock to loan, and I will be aquiring similar support, minus the gun, for the M&P for classes I teach. As an instructor there's no way I'll start stocking support for oddball choices, and as a student you are unlikely to find another student in a class with the same gun as you, and therefore help for you, if you choose something other than the Glock or M&P. MAYBE factor in the XD.

You have a way with words Rob I understand your thought process and I guess it makes sense for someone who's an absolute beginner.

However I don't expect everyone to be a sheep.

Oh and FYI - The magazines for the FN FNX will fit in the FNS and I've read the holsters for the FNX fit the FNS.

I hope your enjoying your Honda Civic.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedBail View Post
    You have a way with words Rob I understand your thought process and I guess it makes sense for someone who's an absolute beginner.

However I don't expect everyone to be a sheep.

Oh and FYI - The magazines for the FN FNX will fit in the FNS and I've read the holsters for the FNX fit the FNS.

I hope your enjoying your Honda Civic.

Ken
    Careful, the following post was in that fnforum thread:

"The FNX and FNS 9mm mags are different dimensions and are NOT interchangeable. The FNS and FNX 40 mags are the same.
    Hope that helps. "

I for one wouldn't want to gamble on the mags being interchangeable unless officially mentioned by FNH itself.

User Tag List