Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

We are diminished
    Suggest you start here:
    P30? Glock? M&P? What to do?

Question First pistol for carry

Hello everyone,
    I've been a reader of this forum for a while now trying to soak up as much information as possible.

I have recently applied for my concealed carry license and am trying to decide which firearm would be right for me.
    First some information about me. I'm roughly 6'2" and 170 pounds and am left hand dominant. I am looking at purchasing a 9mm pistol and carrying IWB.
    I've handled numerous pistols and really enjoy the features of the m&p9c and it's ambidextrous controls. I've also handled the beretta nano and enjoyed it's small size. This is where I am having trouble with decisions on which pistol and am hoping for help from the great people of this forum.
    My main issue I'm having is concealability seeing as I have no experience in this area. Is the nano that much easier to conceal in comparison to the m&p? I like that I can have a full grip with the m&p and it's higher capacity but I also want a gun that isn't difficult to carry or conceal. So I suppose my question is on the concealability of these pistols and your opinions on each as well. Any advice or other recommendations of pistols to look at is more than welcome as well. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

With a decent holster, you should be able to conceal any "compact" pistol fine IWB with minor choices in clothing. M&P compact is a fine choice. A Glock 17 would also be a fine choice.

Pick one, take a training course or two, and order a case of ammo online and shoot it up to practice. For a first gun, the most important thing to realize is that almost any knowledge you use to make a decision now will be infinitely less knowledge than you will have after running the gun for a year or two. That is, how the grip feels, whether it makes you shoot better, whether you can conceal it well with your body type and carry style - no matter how much you read ahead of time, you really can't know how to evaluate until you have your own experience.

So get something that is proven and popular, conceals ok, and that you can easily run in local shooting games or classes. Like a Glock or an M&P.

What you don't want to do is buy something now that you can tuck into your belt a little bit easier, but that will be a bear to take to a class to really learn how to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman_15 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I've been a reader of this forum for a while now trying to soak up as much information as possible.

I have recently applied for my concealed carry license and am trying to decide which firearm would be right for me.
    First some information about me. I'm roughly 6'2" and 170 pounds and am left hand dominant. I am looking at purchasing a 9mm pistol and carrying IWB.
    I've handled numerous pistols and really enjoy the features of the m&p9c and it's ambidextrous controls. I've also handled the beretta nano and enjoyed it's small size. This is where I am having trouble with decisions on which pistol and am hoping for help from the great people of this forum.
    My main issue I'm having is concealability seeing as I have no experience in this area. Is the nano that much easier to conceal in comparison to the m&p? I like that I can have a full grip with the m&p and it's higher capacity but I also want a gun that isn't difficult to carry or conceal. So I suppose my question is on the concealability of these pistols and your opinions on each as well. Any advice or other recommendations of pistols to look at is more than welcome as well. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Hello, and welcome to our forum!

I'm unsure of your level of professional training or background, so please bear with me.

Given your size/build, it is entirely possible to effectively conceal a full sized 9mm handgun, provided you are judicious in holster and clothing selection.
    A Glock 17. M&P 9, P30 and PPQ are are very concealable.

I've owned several M&P 9 full sized handguns, as well as an M&P 9C, and have had no problem effectively concealing the full sized VS the compact carrying OWB, IWB and AIWB (full size only).

There's quite a bit of collective wisdom in this thread here.

A new shooter myself, I ended up with an H&K P30. Since we've had a number of these threads lately, a "So You Want to Buy a Pistol" FAQ might be beneficial. I know I wish there had been one when I got started that condensed the popular choices down.
    Sheep Have Wool

My main issue I'm having is concealability seeing as I have no experience in this area.
    Other than concealment issues, what experience do you have in this area? It is hard to give any advice without knowing the point of reference, i.e. if this is just a hardware question from somebody proficient in handling and shooting pistols, or you're totally new to all this. The responses will be different depending on the above.

P.S. Multi-tasking affects my typing speed. FredM already alluded to this.

My approach to one 1st pistol for CCW purposes is to err on the SMALL side because it will be easier to learn how to carry it all the time. 1st rule - have a gun.

Top choices: S&W Shield, G26, HK2000 compact, Walther PPS, M&PC come first to mind. The G26 is prob the least lefty friendly.

I'm about 3 inches shorter than you and nearly the same weight. I carry a G26 or G19. It's true one can carry a full size gun very well but it takes more effort in clothing selection in addition to really good IWB holsters.

I believe you'll be carrying every day sooner with the smaller range of pistols. With experience, you go up in size. Safer, sooner.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In response to training and experience, it's safe to assume I've had no formal training. I have grown up around guns my entire life and and very familiar with rifles. I just recently turned 21 and purchased a ruger mark III and have been using it to familiarize myself with pistols. I've shot a few thousand rounds through it so far. If anyone knows of places to train in arkansas I'd love to hear about them. I am a college student though and finances are tight at the moment.

I am looking at purchasing a high noon holster for this weapon, specifically the alter ego. Any opinions on this is welcome as well.

I'm a new shooter / handgun buyer! What should I get?

This post is intended as a point of reference for persons who are

-New to firearms ownership.

-New to lawful concealed carry of a handgun, and looking for information pertaining to handgun/holster/accessory selection.

-Looking to purchase their first handgun.

-Asking for advice / relevant information pertaining to any of the above.

In response to training and experience, it's safe to assume I've had no formal training. I have grown up around guns my entire life and and very familiar with rifles. I just recently turned 21 and purchased a ruger mark III and have been using it to familiarize myself with pistols. I've shot a few thousand rounds through it so far. If anyone knows of places to train in arkansas I'd love to hear about them. I am a college student though and finances are tight at the moment.

I am looking at purchasing a high noon holster for this weapon, specifically the alter ego. Any opinions on this is welcome as well.
    Smaller guns are almost always harder to shoot than larger ones, and often are harder to manipulate. This is not cut and dry rule, but it is very often the case. Since you've read this site for awhile, you'd know that majority of members here put proficiency over specific hardware choices. Therefore the answer is what kind of proficiency you're aspiring to achieve. If you want to get to the basic levels of being safe and competent, then smaller gun is fine (MPc would be my second choice after Walther PPS). If you'd prefer to push yourself a bit further, you'll likely handicap yourself with a small gun; Gen3 G19 or 17 would be my choice in this case.

User Tag List