Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

I just got done playing musical guns in an attempt to find the gun that felt great in my hands and I could shoot extremely well. I wasn't able to find it for some reason until I came to the realization that I cannot shoot extremely well with any gun. I finally decided to just pick a single platform, buy 2 to set up the same way, and then start training instead of reading about gun problems on the internet.

I only have software problems now, my hardware is taken care of. My next step is buying a AA conversion kit so I can train once a week instead of once a month. I still suck but am slowly improving as I take local lessons.

I say buy the glock
    Last edited by pr1042; 06-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.

I do not have a lot to add. I like 'em all and often shoot and train with different weapons due to job requirements and my personal off duty lifestyle. It does not help that I simply enjoy sometimes making noise with a variety of shooting irons that have a sentimental or other intrinsic value to me besides personal defense or competition.

Bottom line...get the Glock, shoot it a lot, form opinions after extensive dry fire and live fire practice.

I am able to rationalize most any reason to carry most any gun. As I get older into my gray hair years I am beginning to think simple is in fact better when it comes to guns.

I will mention that both of my sons were given a 3rd generation Glock 19 by me. Neither has the shooting passion I do but both are interested and competant. They both had access to everything I owned and the Glock fits their requirements to a "T" and both are happy with their choice. They also are waiting for me to die so they can sell off the rest of the gun collection and split the proceeds! I might just start selling 'em all off myself for a vacation and keep a couple of Glocks around the house to keep me happy.

I will say this however. My early Gen4 G17 was truly a piece of manure. Averaged one malfunction per 100 rounds of factory ball and high performance ammo. Brass into the face every magazine. In approximatly 2000 rounds I went through three different factory recoil spring fixes with no luck. Sold it off. I hear that there have been improvements and that there is no longer a problem with the current iterations. I might well try another myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I've only shot a Glock in Todd`s class and have never had this problem with the 7 Glocks prior, I suggest reading this thread where even Todd had the same problem with his 4th Gen: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ng-to-the-left
    Thanks for pointing out the thread, I will read up on it and remember it for future. All I really know is that when MY gun shoots left, it's not the gun...

Quote Originally Posted by cosine View Post
    I've been shooting intermittently for a few years now, and have just recently decided that I want to get serious with practicing, training, and possibly competing. My shooting experience up until now has been renting something at the local range for an hour a couple of times a year. I'm basically a blank slate in terms of equipment and experience. I don't have any monetary investment in any particular platform, such as hundreds of dollars sunk into holsters, magazines, and accessories. Nor do I have any significant experience (muscle memory) with any particular platform. About a month ago I started going to the range every weekend, renting 9mm pistols (gen 4 Glock 19, M&P9, XDM), and seeing what I did and didn't like.....

First off, I am confident you will be happy with whatever gun you purchase. All are very well respected brands and keep in mind everyone is different. I hate to make your decision even more difficult but you may want to take a look at the:

FNH FNS Website

This is a review written by a die hard glock fan on the FNH FNS .40

Good Luck
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedBail View Post
    First off, I am confident you will be happy with whatever gun you purchase. All are very well respected brands and keep in mind everyone is different. I hate to make your decision even more difficult but you may want to take a look at the:

[...]

Good Luck
    Ken
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty set on the Glock 19. I posted this thread mostly to see if the replies would be "go for it" or "you might want to avoid a Glock 19." I was just a little apprehensive about getting a gen 4 Glock 19 since most threads I've been able to find discuss the Glock 17 / Glock 19 problems.

As a lefty, why would you not want a gun with ambi controls? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedBail View Post

FNH FNS Website

This is a review written by a die hard glock fan on the FNH FNS .40

Good Luck
    Ken
    Thanks for the link! I'm looking for more FNS reviews.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    As a lefty, why would you not want a gun with ambi controls? Serious question.
    The Glock 19 gen 4 has an ambi mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by cosine View Post
    The Glock 19 gen 4 has an ambi mag release.
    Yes, but it doesn't have an ambi slide release. Not that it matters if you train for it, though.

I bought three Gen 4 9mm pistols: G17, G19, & G26. They all had ejection issues. The G17 Gen 4 was a very early production pistol. I replaced the RSA on each. I then replaced the ejector with the newest iteration. I am LH. I put the new "FBI" magazine release in the reversed position. These guns all run like a top at this time. I cannot remember the last time I had a malfunction with any of them. If I were to buy more and I will, a G34, I would check the date of the fired shell case, go for a recent date. I would also check the end of the ejector to be sure it looks more like a screwdriver blade than a leather punch. I like the grip on the Gen 4 pistols better than previous generation Glock pistols. The short frame or SF is for me. The G17 is for GSSF matches. The G17 is for my wife. That is the one she choose. The G26 is my concealed carry pistol.
    Last edited by Little Creek; 06-07-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: clarification

User Tag List